Toast Alex Woodward - 2014 JJ Liston Medal winner - And the Hawthorn BF Board sponsor him!

Remove this Banner Ad

For reference Sam Mitchell also won his Liston Trophy in a similar amount of games (11 to Woody's 12). Not to detract from what Woodward has done though. It's an incredible effort from both of them. Both small, in and under clearance machines. Hopefully a sign of more of the same in his future.

We can hope Woody can follow in Sam's footsteps. Congratulations to a dedicated effort Woody, may you be in the best 22 in 2015, and I'm sure you will.

Sam Mitchell polled 31 votes in 11 games. Woody isn't even close. Mitchell got like 8 BOG's from 11 games? Great effort by Wood, but the comparisons aren't justified.
Considering Woody was coming back from 2 knee recos and hadn't really played footy since the TAC cup (a couple NAB games aside) I think the comparisons aren't that unfair. Mitchell's record still more impressive but isn't like they were starting from the same spot.

After all the hype over Hallahan last year, I'm not too interested in getting ahead of ourselves...but good effort none the less. VFL < AFL.

After all the hype over Hallahan last year, I'm not too interested in getting ahead of ourselves...but good effort none the less. VFL < AFL.

Polled 20 votes to win it, three votes clear of North Ballarat's Liam Anthony. Scooped up consecutive BOGs in the last two rounds to come from the clouds to win.

Great stuff, Woody.

Demonstrates the depth at Hawthorn with Woody winning the JJ Liston Trophy and Sam Grimley winning the Frosty Miller medal (the VFL equivalent of the Coleman Medal).
Also worth noting that Peter McEvoy was joint winner of the A. Todd medal for VFL reserves this year.

Hopefully Hawthorn can add another 22 premiership medals and 1 norm smith medal by the end of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Woody
Hallaham
Ross
Mitchell
All current Hawks who have won the Liston.
Well done Woody , remember too, to go with the knees he's also had a full shoulder reco .
Brave, Hard, humble and hard working ....a reward hard earned and well deserved..

2 knees = 2 years out of the game and in his first season back, that was still interrupted by a shoulder, he wins the vfl fairest and best, that shows true grit.

When Woody adds the ability to get easy uncontested ball and link up around the ground a little more he will be a force to reckoned with.

Lets see, Langford, Hill, Shiels, Smith, Lewis, WhiteX, Anderson, Webster, Woodward, Hartung, Hallahan............Nope, looking at that I can not see the reason for panic that happens every year by some supporters that always want to trade our best players and picks for midfielder's from other clubs, especially now we are getting a ruck division to hit it down to them.

And for those always concerned about size through the middle, has Kelly found his spot?

Now to keep Grimley and Lowden...................even if we have to pay overs to get them to sign.

Guess I'll repeat my post from the Box Hill thread:

Congratulations to BigFooty sponsored Alex Woodward for taking out the Liston!! A measure of true perseverance after struggling with knee injuries earlier in his career, to come out and smack it in the VFL is the sign of a champion who never gives up. May he proceed onto bigger and better things from 2015 onwards as he builds on his AFL career.

Best wishes too for our goal kicking medallists in Sam Grimley and Peter McEvoy for leading the goalkicking in the two leagues, following our fine tradition at the Hawks in developing forwards who can kick goals (we've had one or two in the past, apparently). Congrats to Peter who also won the Todd medal and is really putting his hand up after a break-out year. On top of all that, there's Dave Mirra in the team of the year... all we need now is some silverware in a few weeks time and we can consider the year to be not too shabby at all. ;)

Sam Mitchell polled 31 votes in 11 games. Woody isn't even close. Mitchell got like 8 BOG's from 11 games? Great effort by Wood, but the comparisons aren't justified.
You could have just said great effort by Woody and left it at that, instead of starting off with a downer.

You also failed to mention that Mitchell wasn't coming off double knee reco's like Woody is, do you think that has slowed him down some?

I'd say it is an outstanding effort in his first season back after 2 whole years out of the game, rather then downplay it with comparisons to anybody at all.

Awesome effort and great news for guy that has gone through what he has. Shows PLENTY about his character. Do we now have the last 3 Liston medal winners playing at BH (Ross, Hallahan and Woody)?? and another playing for the Hawks (Sammy)??

Pretty good depth we have at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back