Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Centralian 'super' league on track
By DARREN MONCRIEFF
AboriginalFootball@westnet.com.au
Tuesday, November 20, 2007
AF-1107-Yuendumu1.gif
MASSIVE changes to Central Australian football are underway with a new, expanded 'super' comp set to begin next year.

The decades-old Central Australian Football League (CAFL) will from next year be replaced with a new eight-, nine- or 10-team league involving the five established Alice Springs-based clubs and a cluster of Aboriginal community teams.

The new AFL Central Australia competition will converge the Saturday five-team CAFL -- of Wests, Pioneer, Souths, Federal and Rovers -- and the Sunday eight-team Country Cup, involving teams from Yuendumu, Papunya, Santa Teresa and other Aboriginal communities.

AFLCA general manager Brett O'Farrell said the new league will further strengthen football in the region and create more opportunities for local footballers.
There is also a chance that the new competition format might bring Friday night football to Alice Springs on a regular basis.

The changes to Central Australian footy, first flagged five years ago, are at the end stage of planning.

"Basically, we want to improve the standard of footy here," O'Farrell told AboriginalFootball. "At this stage there's too many teams. There's 31 (football teams) in Alice Springs so what's happening is that resources are being stretched and some players are playing something like three games of a weekend.

"Now players will have to pick one side to play with which creates healthy competition for spots in teams and from there standards tend to rise which is what we want."

Part of the restructure will also include a merged Under-17s competition. A separate reserves competition will be run for town teams only in 2008 with the view to include well organised community teams by 2009.
By then, a Northern Territory side will have entered either the WAFL or SANFL. That team, expected to have a large Indigenous component, will split its time between Alice Springs and Darwin.

"That new team will have something like a 40-man squad," said O'Farrell. "Those players not selected to play will either train or play or both in the AFLCA which will strengthen our competition and lift standards even more."

Fears of wholesale mergers between the community teams have come to nought, with only TiTree and Central Anmatjere merging, and Plenty Highway community to provide players to Santa Teresa, largely due to distance and economics.

Country Cup giants Yuendumu will be a stand-alone AFLCA team, as will Papunya. The Magpies and Eagles were premiers of the past two seasons.

Key to the community teams joining the AFLCA is long-term planning. Some face travel of several hundred kilometres, up to eight hours in a day, to get to Alice Springs and back.

"That's a major issue for community teams like Yuendumu and Papunya," said O'Farrell. "But their committees are extremely confident that they can do it and be viable AFLCA teams in their own right."

A potential clash of AFLCA footy and the many sporting carnivals Aboriginal communities run throughout the year will be avoided, said O'Farrell.

"We will never fixture a round against those carnivals," he said. "We'll have a general bye on those weekends. We know how important those carnivals are for communities."

And congratulations to the mighty Yuendumu Magpies on a truly wonderful flag!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

After being caught behind at 1 win and 5 losses the mighty Magpies barne-stormed their way through the rest of the season beating all comers and winning the flag after just squeaking into 4th.

Special mention must be made of the stupendous efforts of Liam Jurrah after his return home from Collingwood VFL. However the whole team played terrific, positive and attacking footy all the way through to their brilliant finals wins against Ltyentye Apurte, Wests and Pioneers.

A truly historic premiership and fitting winners for the first year in the new comp.

Hey Everyone..
Just wondering what leagues and comps are there in Alice Springs???? I might be movin up there I just wana know what leagues are there, or if there is only 1 etc etc
I f some one can post me some info, that will b great...

aflca

There is a ten team senior and under 17 league in alice. 5 community teams and 5 town teams. This year there was 5 reserve grade teams. We played 12 games each in 16 rounds this year. This short season reduces the travel requirements for community teams and ensures there is no clashes with community sports carnivals. Its bush footy played in a flowing nt style.
Federals play Pioneers in the GF on Saturday.

Re: aflca

Thanks erskine.... Whats the travelling like.. How far is the futherest u have 2 travel???? And whats the Standard like to a Victoria Country Footy?? What League could u compare it to???

Alice Footy

All games are played at Traegar Park in town. I can't make comparisons as i haven't played any where else. Some players who have won the Everingham Medal for best on in the Grand Final include Matt Campbell, Michael Long and last year Liam Yurrah. There is some great young talent around but it drops away after that. Ten teams for a small town and its surrounds mean that the talent gets spread thin.

Sorry got it wrong. Matt Campbell won the league best and fairest. Pioneers beat Federals in extra time in an epic Grand Final on Saturday. Federals led an inaccurate Pioneers all day. Pioneers hit the front with two minutes left to play. Pioneers celebrated the victory on the siren before realising that a Feds player had marked 55 metres out. A 60 metre torpedo from out near the boundary line scored a point to tie the scores. Pioneer won by three points in 10 minutes of extra time.

Re: Alice Footy

I've played in the Hampden, Cairns and ACTAFL league and I would say that it (the Alice Springs league)is on par with, if not a little bit better than, a top Division 2 Vic Country league. Lots of former SANFL players make their way to the Alice for footy, as do the Darwin boys at the end of their season. Of course, I'm looking back 20 odd years but I would imagine that it would still be fair comparison.

Traeger Park is a superb oval with a spongy cooch grass surface. The weather makes for good footy and with the black fellas involved the skills are pretty awesome. In 2 seasons I never played in the wet.

In my day the comp was 5 teams and 2 seniors games were played on a Sunday. All the competing teams supporters would rock up to watch both games. Each group of supporters has it's own area of the outer where they would congregate.....so it was like having 4 cheers squads. The atmosphere was awesome and I never found anything similar in all of my footy travels.

Some players who have won the Everingham Medal for best on in the Grand Final include Matt Campbell, Michael Long and last year Liam Yurrah.

I actually played against Michael Long that day. 1987 it was. He and his St. Mary's ring-ins (playing for Pioneers) beat us (Wests) by 8 goals, 28 goals to 20.

Other notable players to come out of Alice include the McAdam brothers, Greg, Gilbert and Adrian (Souths) and Daryl White (Pioneers).

What mob do you play for erskine?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back