All Australian thread 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

It's stupid to disregard them completely, but I think historically the top end running defenders are better at dual purpose defending than the top end lockdown defenders are. So while your Malcheski's and Hibberd's will concede more goals than say your N.Smith types, they'll often add offensively more than the few extra goals they concede.

Rd.18 Rolling AA Team
B:
N.Smith, D.Talia, N.Malceski
HB: K.Simpson, C. Hooker, B.Smith
C: T. Rockliff, J. Kennedy, N.Fyfe
HF: R. Gray, L. Franklin, B. Harvey
F: L. Breust, J. Schulz, T.Hawkins
R: A. Sandilands, G. Ablett, S. Pendlebury
Int: D.Beams, T. Boak, S.Jacobs, Libba

Backman next in line: Dunn, D.Swallow
Midfield next in line: Ward, Dangerfield, Selwood, D.Martin, S.Hill, Gibbs
Forwards next in line: L.Parker, Ballantyne
Rucks next in line: Lobbe, Mumford

from Round 16
Out: Dunn, C.Ward
In: N.Smith, Libba

Last edited:
Rd.18 Rolling AA Team
B:
N.Smith, D.Talia, N.Malceski
HB: K.Simpson, C. Hooker, B.Smith
C: T. Rockliff, J. Kennedy, N.Fyfe
HF: R. Gray, L. Franklin, B. Harvey
F: L. Breust, J. Schulz, T.Hawkins
R: A. Sandilands, G. Ablett, S. Pendlebury
Int: D.Beams, T. Boak, S.Jacobs, Libba

Backman next in line: Dunn, D.Swallow
Midfield next in line: Ward, Dangerfield, Selwood, D.Martin, S.Hill
Forwards next in line: L.Parker, Ballantyne
Rucks next in line: Lobbe, Mumford

from Round 16
Out: Dunn, C.Ward
In: N.Smith, Libba
Much as I like him, don't think Simpson is in at this stage. Started the season brilliantly but had a poor month or so prior to last night.

Gibbs has clearly been our best but unfortunately it's such a tough gig to get in the midfield. His numbers stack up with the premier mids in the comp. Should be in the squad of 40 at this stage.

Much as I like him, don't think Simpson is in at this stage. Started the season brilliantly but had a poor month or so prior to last night.

Gibbs has clearly been our best but unfortunately it's such a tough gig to get in the midfield. His numbers stack up with the premier mids in the comp. Should be in the squad of 40 at this stage.

Everyone has had off nights only really had 2-3 bad weeks and was carrying an injury. David Swallow and him are very close though.

Yeah great call on Gibbs, had a super year, up there in the underrated category with heppell and sloane etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Robbie Gray with a 2nd best v Melb behind Dom Tyson. 12th or 13th game in the AFLCA votes this year already. (Edit: 14th time in just 17 games!)

Almost certain AA spot now. Brownlow smokey?

Last edited:
The argument over backmen on the previous page and goals against is exactly why I actually prefer to watch the games to make my mind up about players, instead of relying on statistics that are hugely flawed in a lot of cases.

The argument over backmen on the previous page and goals against is exactly why I actually prefer to watch the games to make my mind up about players, instead of relying on statistics that are hugely flawed in a lot of cases.
What? You'd prefer a defender that shows judgement to come off his player to save 5 goals a game even if his opponent kicks a few, over a player who just sits on his man, points the finger constantly and "bugger the lot of you, my player didn't kick any goals ?"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back