All Australian thread 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely you're not talking about Josh Kennedy of the Sydney variety? He is an absolute lock and will easily be in before Danger.

That's kind of what I meant. I just phrased it that with the talent in the midfield and around the ground it would mean Danger and Kennedy would be battling it out for the same spot. I agree that Kennedy will most likely get the nod.

Outstanding half back flanker, who would honestly be ahead of him? Smith has to be ahead of Talia though
Compare Smith to Yarran who has been smashing it at half back since 2011. Yazz has polled nearly as many votes as Smith in the 2014 AFLCA Award. Smith is quality, but Yarran is a freaking jet.

Prepare to be disappointed. Gibbs didn't make the AA squad after finishing top ten in the Brownlow in his third season. They'll give it to some good ordinary player or gun who runs around with a top four team. Gilbert, Vince, Sewell and Hargrave made the squad that year.

Compare Smith to Yarran who has been smashing it at half back since 2011. Yazz has polled nearly as many votes as Smith in the 2014 AFLCA Award. Smith is quality, but Yarran is a freaking jet.

Prepare to be disappointed. Gibbs didn't make the AA squad after finishing top ten in the Brownlow in his third season. They'll give it to some good ordinary player or gun who runs around with a top four team. Gilbert, Vince, Sewell and Hargrave made the squad that year.
Would be a shame because yarran has been nowhere near the quality of smith this year.,

Wait! Let me guess this straight? You're trying to say Yarran is better then Smith??
laughing-tennant.gif

Yarran isn't fit to tie Smith's boots champ.

Your obsession with Yarran is weird.
He's nowhere near as good as you think he is.

Rockliff has to be a certainty, he has had an enormous season! I can't believe so many so called experts are looking over him.

Jordan Lewis has to be close, he has been huge for us this year. He would have to finish the season strongly to make it but he is on the cusp imo.
If anyone is saying Rockliff shouldn't be in the AA team, :eek::eek:

I love the way NOBODY was saying Rockliff's name about 2-3 weeks ago

Suddenly everyone in the media and everyone in this thread is on board.

dsc_8384_1ww.jpg

Not saying I disagree with the hype. I wouldn't have a clue. I haven't watched many Brisbane games.
I just laugh at the way everyone parrots each other

Rockliff is the latest "flavour of the month"
If you wouldn't have a clue, how can you call people parrots or sheep? o_O
Maybe he is deserving of the praise..
Maybe some parrot, some watch the game of football..
He has been great and has been deserving all year of AA..

Serious Brownlow chance if not for suspension..

If you wouldn't have a clue, how can you call people parrots or sheep? o_O
Maybe he is deserving of the praise..
:rolleyes:

It's really quite simple. About 3 weeks ago, I didn't see or hear anyone mentioning Rockliff's name in AA discussions
Suddenly everyone is "Rockliff this… Rockliff that… Rockliff, Rockliff, Rockliff…"

I just haven't followed the Lions at all this year, so I wouldn't know if he is deserving or not, but this doesn't mean I can't have an opinion about the recent media hype for Rockliff and the sheep-like tendencies of people in these AA discussions.

But that's cool… It's the way it works. If you keep playing well, then eventually people notice you and the Hype Train builds up a head of steam.

Chewy is definitely onto something with the hype element of aa.

There is a view that you have to play a certain amount of games (ie if you miss more than 6 you probably won't get it).

However, if you miss the first 6 games as opposed to the last 6 you're a much better chance of getting the gig.

Likewise with good form. Buddy's recent 8 games have been awesome, but his first month was atrocious. If his last four weeks is like that people will forget this great form and suggest Riewoldt as AA CHF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:rolleyes:

It's really quite simple. About 3 weeks ago, I didn't see or hear anyone mentioning Rockliff's name in AA discussions
Suddenly everyone is "Rockliff this… Rockliff that… Rockliff, Rockliff, Rockliff…"

I just haven't followed the Lions at all this year, so I wouldn't know if he is deserving or not, but this doesn't mean I can't have an opinion about the recent media hype for Rockliff and the sheep-like tendencies of people in these AA discussions.
Doesn't mean you can't have an opinion, but that opinion can be challenged when it's based on calling people sheep for saying Rockliff has been great, while then saying you haven't seen Brisbane play and would have no idea.. :confused:

If he's been great (which he has) maybe that's why he's being mentioned..

Could it maybe be that more players are being mentioned as AA talk is only really ramping up now?
I don't bother to think about it until about this time of the season..

I think the biggest reason he's being brought up more now if he is, is because he has had some blistering games recently that have now firmly entrenched him as a definite AA for most people..

Nah, I just went back to pages 68, 69, 70 of this thread (July 7th) and sure enough, there were a number of people with Tommy Rockliff in their team.

I will put my hand up and admit I was wrong in this instance. Talking through my arse. I haven't been following the AFL or the AA discussion very closely this year. People are sheep and hype is a key component of individual awards, but the Rockliff AA bandwagon has been going for a lot longer than I thought. I just hadn't noticed until now.

I've always rated Rockliff as a player. He's been very good for a few years now. From the stats alone, it appears as though he is enjoying a great season from an individual standpoint. Good luck to him, if he gets recognised by Darce, Lingy, Tredders and the other bozos on the AA selection committee.

Carry on, gents

Last edited:
Nah, I just went back to pages 68, 69, 70 of this thread (July 7th) and sure enough, there were a number of people with Tommy Rockliff in their team.

I will put my hand up and admit I was wrong in this instance. Talking through my arse. I haven't been following the AFL or the AA discussion very closely this year. People are sheep and hype is a key component of individual awards, but the Rockliff AA bandwagon has been going for a lot longer than I thought. I just hadn't noticed until now.

Carry on, gents
One thing you won't get disagreement on from me is in bold.. ;)
A big thing on my 'do not like' list..

I was more pointing out that he is totally deserving..

That's kind of what I meant. I just phrased it that with the talent in the midfield and around the ground it would mean Danger and Kennedy would be battling it out for the same spot. I agree that Kennedy will most likely get the nod.
That's not right at all. Midfield will go: Ablett, Pendlebury, Rockliff, JPK, Fyfe, fill in the blanks. There are a clear cut top 5 midfielders this year, and Danger is a level below them.

im assuming this was vince's club champion year when he fully deserved to be in the all australian squad and pulled many brownlow votes. dont know how this backs up your argument? i agree gibbs should be all australian this year however

Surely Jordan Lewis, has to now be in serious contention for a midfield spot. Having the best year of his career.

At this stage would be leading the Hawthorn B&F. However that doesn't really mean anything, as our previous 2 B&F winners have not made the team despite finishing first on the ladder.

Also given the hype surrounding Sydney this year, they will likely have a Geelong level of representation.

Surely Jordan Lewis, has to now be in serious contention for a midfield spot. Having the best year of his career.

At this stage would be leading the Hawthorn B&F. However that doesn't really mean anything, as our previous 2 B&F winners have not made the team despite finishing first on the ladder.

Also given the hype surrounding Sydney this year, they will likely have a Geelong level of representation.

Whats a Geelong level or representation? Lewis would make the bench in my AA team he's not in top half dozen Mids this year IMO

Whats a Geelong level or representation? Lewis would make the bench in my AA team he's not in top half dozen Mids this year IMO

2007 level. That wasn't meant as a slight against Geelong. Just that we probably haven't had this sort of hype around a team since Geelong in 2007. Media hype often plays a role in players making a team, particularly if it is a 50/50 decision.

Would agree with Lewis, would likely be a bench spot if he makes then team.

2007 level. That wasn't meant as a slight against Geelong. Just that we probably haven't had this sort of hype around a team since Geelong in 2007. Media hype often plays a role in players making a team, particularly if it is a 50/50 decision.

Would agree with Lewis, would likely be a bench spot if he makes then team.

The exactly what I thought when you said it mate just making sure we were on same page - The Hype around the COLA's is ridiculous

Remove this Banner Ad

Back