All Australian thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Clive Diablo

Senior List
Jul 2, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Jacobs was only stiff if they wanted to pick two ruckmen. As they went for the one then it was pretty straightforward decision.

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
Thought MacKenzie should have been in over Rance, he has chopped up this year.

I'm glad to see players are actually in their positions. Kind of surprised they didn't squeeze another mid into the HFF/HBF as they are wont to do.

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
Jacobs was only stiff if they wanted to pick two ruckmen. As they went for the one then it was pretty straightforward decision.

Yeah agree. I posted it somewhere else in this thread, they're tending not to pick 2 rucks now (as was typically the case going back 5-6 years). That's now something like 5 of the last 7 where only one true ruckman has been picked (not including NicNat who was picked as a fwd LOL).

I think that's going to be the standard now, unless there are two ruck-men who have absolutely massive, in your face fantastic seasons, they'll plonk an extra midfielder on the bench before they put another ruckman on there.

ImperialPurple

Matthew Pavlich Medallist
May 26, 2003
South Freo
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
SFFC, Aussie Women's Cricket, HNK
Funny how we're loving the AA selection this year when our three are in, but have slammed it in recent times as being "a load of s**t and we don't care anyway" when our guys have missed when they should have been picked... ;)

Funny how we're loving the AA selection this year when our three are in, but have slammed it in recent times as being "a load of s**t and we don't care anyway" when our guys have missed when they should have been picked... ;)

....but this year was fair....so it's OK

Harry Reems

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I watched the selection of the AA live on Foxtel, as I am sue many others did as well.

It was a strange broadcast in that you could hear the attendees at the event, but you never got to see who the audience was.

I presume it was the players and journos having dinner at the tables, does anyone know?

Anyway, for those who saw the broadcast on Fox you would have heard the reasons for some of the decisions, which in the end came down to a vote.

Even Glen Jakovich was forced to defend the lack of Eagles in the side, but here's what he said.

"Matt Priddis gets a lot of the ball, but most of his touches are behind the centre square. His inside 50's are low compared to other quality midfielders, plus he only kicked 9 goals for the season."

It also appears that Rance was selected over McKenzie based on the fact that Rance never had a bag kicked on him and McKenzie had conceded 39 goals for the season. That game where Roughy kicked 8 goals against the Eagles in Tasmania is what cost McKenzie many have said.

Kevin Bartlett was also forced to clarify the selection of Ballas over Eddie Betts. He basically said that Ballas kicked 49 goals to Eddie's 51, but the defensive pressure of Ballas, plus the fact that he won games for us off his own boot is what got him in.

It seems to me that one outstanding game can often get a player into the final team. Look at Rance against Buddy this year, Jab Watson against the Eagles last year, Naitanui the year before.

I can't see why Pendelbury got in this year though.

Edit: Glen Jakovich has responded on Twitter to the trolling Eagles supporters by telling them" maybe No 16 and his teammates should work on beating the 8 teams above them!!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought MacKenzie should have been in over Rance, he has chopped up this year.

I'm glad to see players are actually in their positions. Kind of surprised they didn't squeeze another mid into the HFF/HBF as they are wont to do.

My changes would be:

Talia to CHB
McKenzie to FB
Rance OUT

Priddis to INT
Parker to INT
Lewis OUT
Pendels OUT

beetz

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 30, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Priddis is so overrated, he is lucky to have made the squad. He certainly racks up the touches and a fairly good extractor but his disposal by foot is absolutely terrible and he doesn't kick goals.

TheMcManusNose

Premiership Player
Apr 21, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks
Priddis is so overrated, he is lucky to have made the squad. He certainly racks up the touches and a fairly good extractor but his disposal by foot is absolutely terrible and he doesn't kick goals.

Priddis is worse than MDB at the things MDB is bad at, would not get a game in our team, let alone AA. He runs in treacle.

Tazmania

Premiership Player
Mar 27, 2007
Back in WA
AFL Club
Fremantle

And that on the eagles board they're all, "a load of suit and we don't care anyway" despite having defended NicNat's selection against all comers for years as validation of him being a superstar. lol

Harry Reems

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
And that on the eagles board they're all, "a load of suit and we don't care anyway" despite having defended NicNat's selection against all comers for years as validation of him being a superstar. lol

I would of had Lachie Neale, David Mundy and Michael Barlow in ahead of Matt Priddis in the centre, considering that they have a whole threads dedicated to how useless his possessions and disposals are regardless of how many touches he gets.

StingBitten

The Midland Steal
May 31, 2012
Bayswater
AFL Club
Fremantle
The dummy spit from the Eagles players have been nothing short of embarrassing. May be biased but I just can't imagine our boys spazzing out like that; poor footy-culture poor social behaviour.

Jul 22, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
The justifications are pretty obvious by the selection committee. McKenzie conceded way more goals than what should be expected of a KPD, and Priddis? Who the feck does he push out of the team.. Jeezus, if we're going by Priddis's most redeeming feature, he's still no better than Libba Jr - who didn't make the team.

pokerspiv

Premiership Player
Jun 23, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
In previous year's Parker would have taken Ballantyne's spot. Kudos to the selection team for resisting the temptation to squeeze more midfielders into the forward line, and instead just reward the genuine forwards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back