All Australian thread 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Gaff would definitely be in atm. Genuine winger who is getting 30 touches a week and having a genuine impact. Would have close to 20 brownlow votes at this stage. I don't understand how he is only Borderline

There are a LOT of midfielders. He would be in my side, but it is VERY rare for a team to get more than 3 in an AA team. It can happen, it rarely does.

Fremantle need more than one player if they finish top 2

McPharlin probably, and Hill is the one I have bracketed with Gaff. It is probably 1 of the 2, they rarely pick 2 genuine wingers despite my view that they should.

Priddis, Gaff & Kennedy are locked and loaded; Nic Nat gets pipped by Sandi for the second ruck spot behind Goldy.

LeCras isn't without a chance, might need to 20&3 it for the last six weeks though.

Gaff would definitely be in atm. Genuine winger who is getting 30 touches a week and having a genuine impact. Would have close to 20 brownlow votes at this stage. I don't understand how he is only Borderline
There seems to be a perception of break out stars missing out for established stars. That would be my primary concern. Otherwise, there aren't many quality, genuine wingmen in the league and he's certainly near the top, if not top, of that list.

There seems to be a perception of break out stars missing out for established stars. That would be my primary concern. Otherwise, there aren't many quality, genuine wingmen in the league and he's certainly near the top, if not top, of that list.

Stephen Hill and his brother would be two, maybe Issac Smith although I have missed 3 Hawthorn games this year so I won't comment on the last 2. Can see those 3 in a group with Gaff for the 1 wing position. They have this silly idea of plonking a mid on the wing, they do it every single season.

To be fair to the selectors they seem to be taking baby steps towards naming players in their direct position, as well as justifying selections based on advanced stats. Hopefully they keep moving that way.

I'll believe it when I see it. Nick Smith last year was a good selection. Look I hope they pick 2 wingers, a defensive forward and a lock down defender. They are critical parts to every side. It is about time they are recognised in AA teams.

As I said. Baby steps.

1 from 4....going at 25%...well go AA selectors. I fail to see how hard it is, you have the 2 best wingers, pick them. The best small defender, pick him, the best defensive forward pick them. Stop trying to pick every inside midfielder in the comp in these positions! If I hear one more time that this midfielder plays forward I'll lose it. They don't. They are midfielders, they play in the middle. If they can't make the midfield, they don't make the team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 from 4....going at 25%...well go AA selectors. I fail to see how hard it is, you have the 2 best wingers, pick them. The best small defender, pick him, the best defensive forward pick them. Stop trying to pick every inside midfielder in the comp in these positions! If I hear one more time that this midfielder plays forward I'll lose it. They don't. They are midfielders, they play in the middle. If they can't make the midfield, they don't make the team.
But they are probably better players than the lockdown defender, for example I bet Dangerfield would be the best lockdown if he played in the position but he's too good and is in the middle for the crows
If we had a national side maybe he would be the lockdown defender with Ablett Fyfe Pendlebury Selwood Mitchell as the midfield

Latest crack, a few unlucky to miss the squad. And a lot of uncertainty in the mids beyond the first few:

H. Shaw Hurley Gibson
Wood Rance Murphy
Dangerfield Pendlebury Hannebery
Gray J. Reiwoldt Wingard
Betts Kennedy Gunston

Goldstein Fyfe Mitchell

Hodge Armitage Naitanui Gaff

Rest of the squad:

Hombsch McGovern
Laird Boyd Ibbotson
Sandilands
Priddis Cotchin Mundy Beams Smith Martin
Franklin Cameron Bruce
Breust Walters Dahlhaus

Hes probably borderline because we dont know if the wing positions going to picked for an actual wing player or just anyway midfielder. If its a legitimate winger then hes in.

Theoretical question - Assuming Goldstein and possibly NicNat are just ahead of Sandi at the moment (arguable but happy to concede the point), if Sandi makes them both non-factors in their return games coming up, does this put him back in front?

There are a LOT of midfielders. He would be in my side, but it is VERY rare for a team to get more than 3 in an AA team. It can happen, it rarely does.

Every year for the last 9 years there has been a team with 4+ members within an AA side. I wouldn't call that rare

Theoretical question - Assuming Goldstein and possibly NicNat are just ahead of Sandi at the moment (arguable but happy to concede the point), if Sandi makes them both non-factors in their return games coming up, does this put him back in front?

Non-factors? or wallops them?

If the contests end up a nil all draw then it doesn't enhance his claims (or reduce them either).

no. AA is based on the whole year. Not on who can beat Sandilands.

Goldstein is the number 1 ruck for the year. And second is not even close

Became slightly clearer for me this week, still plenty of time for things to change though.

B - Wood, Rance, Gibson
HB - Murphy, Hurley, Shaw
C - Gaff, Mitchell, Hannebery
HF - LeCras, J. Riewoldt, Dangerfield
F - Betts, Kennedy, Wingard
Foll - Goldstein, Priddis, Fyfe
Inter - Hodge, Pendlebury, Naitanui, Gray

Backline is almost at the point where it writes itself IMO. McPharlin pushing and McGovern only out due to missed games.

Desperately want Armitage to get a spot, I reckon 2-3 more belters and he's in. Gray's spot is the most takeable.

They don't normally put 4 pure mids on the pine (nor should they) so I reckon Hodge is a real chance to land there.

Have no problems with Roberton doing well at the Saints, but I think he is coming from a long way back.

Talking about pedigree, does Ibbotson have some now ?.

( Ibbo is really only a squad possibility )

From a rebounding POV Murphy, Shaw and Houli would be in front.

Not sure how people arent putting Priddis in the team. He won a Brownlow last season and is having an even better year this year. He is an absolute lock IMO.

1st - Total Disposals
1st - Total Handballs
20th - Score Involvements
5th - Goal Assists
4th - Contested Possessions
1st - Tackles
5th - Clearances

The bloke is a lock.

Fremantle need more than one player if they finish top 2
Hate this logic, this is how you end up with Tom Harley and Nick Maxwell as AAs. If a top team performs evenly but with no stand outs in the right slots they are not entitled to a certain number of selections.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back