All Australians - we grab 3 spots

Remove this Banner Ad

So many better small defenders than Nick Smith in the comp. Works for me but, as long as he play's a *blinder like he did last time we played $hitny thats sweet with me.

*eg playing like he is actually blindfolded

Can someone compare the stats of Brodie Smith against Matt Sucklings 2012? Load of crap. Burgoyne was in everyone's AA side but the selectors thought otherwise? And seriously Pendlebury and Saint Nick are just there because well...they have good friends in the media. Luke Parker is also very very stiff IMO. Anyway, well done to the boys who got in..great effort.

Breust was lucky they now pick the team based on if it was actually going to play a game otherwise they would've just picked another midfielder for the spot.

Maybe next year they'll pick the side based on if it was actually going to play a game and win in which case Burgoyne would have certainly been a lock somewhere in the back 6.

Can someone compare the stats of Brodie Smith against Matt Sucklings 2012? Load of crap. Burgoyne was in everyone's AA side but the selectors thought otherwise? And seriously Pendlebury and Saint Nick are just there because well...they have good friends in the media. Luke Parker is also very very stiff IMO. Anyway, well done to the boys who got in..great effort.

Suckling v the 2 HBFs this year

Not a great deal in it stats wise.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...1=3460&tid2=11&pid2=1816&type=A&fid1=S&fid2=S

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/...1=1407&tid2=11&pid2=1816&type=A&fid1=S&fid2=S

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As an actual CHF, riewoldt was the right choice, probably the only one they got right actually

Riewodlt was dominate in a side that got towelled the large majority of the year, if he got the delivery that you get at Hawthorn he would've kicked another 20 goals easily I would say.

It'd be fun to go backk to the '70s and actually have the AA team play against the premiers in an exhibition match to raise funds for a charity (eg MFC) in 76, the hawks played the sun all stars and Hudson played for the all stars. Was a pretty decent game in terms of standards.

Agree with gunner not being selected, have an average final third, but smith being selected despite having a similar yr (comparably for a defender) irks me, especially when there's a better alternative (Burgoyne) and a worse one (ballantyne) selected
I don't understand why Birchall was not in the team . . . banged out second best numbers of his career and has been incredible. Just don't see how Smith and Ellis made the squad ahead of him let alone Smith making the team . . . When Birchall plays well we win . . . and he plays well a lot.

I don't think much of the backline as a unit. Plenty of shutdown players but not much going the other way except Malcheski (and I assume Brodie Smith, although I honestly don't think I've seen him play).

If they had to play a game I'd be dropping one of the 3 KPP talls for a third tall with some run and be very tempted to drop Nick Smith for someone who does more the other way. I don't think there is much of a place for a pure shutdown defender outside of KPPs in the modern game, although obviously Smith has had a fantastic year and has his fans.

Pendlebury for me is the one glaring error. He had a decent season but the midfield group in that side, if it was to play a game, would cover him.

There's no real recognised second ruckman (Jacobs on his 2014 form for me) nor is there a real option for a 'swingman' - a Birchall or Burgoyne type, which makes that backline look like a 'defence' rather than a platform for attack, which is the modern way.

Well done to our boys that made it.

Brodie Smith 2014:
22.5 disposals, 551 metres gained, 70% kicking efficiency, 6.5 contested possessions, 14.5 uncontested possessions, 5.0 rebound 50s, 1.6 tackles.

Matt Suckling 2012:
20.0 disposals, 393 metres gained, 75% kicking efficiency, 4.9 contested possessions, 14.4 uncontested possessions, 2.8 rebound 50s, 1.6 tackles.

Paul Roos just named his All Australian side for 2014.

B: Nick Smith, Ted Richards, Dane Rampe

HB: Nick Malceski, Heath Grundy, Rhyce Shaw

C: Dan Hannebery, Josh Kennedy, Gary Rohan

HF: Lewis Jetta, Lance Franklin, Jarrad McVeigh

F: Adam Goodes, Kurt Tippett, Harry Cunningham

FOL: Mike Pyke, Kieren Jack, Luke Parker

I/C: Craig Bird, Jake Lloyd, Ben McGlynn, Sam Reid

Doesn't look right to me.
Where are Teddy, Goodesy, Pykey, Heathy, Joshy, etc, etc?

You're having us on.

Brodie Smith 2014:
22.5 disposals, 551 metres gained, 70% kicking efficiency, 6.5 contested possessions, 14.5 uncontested possessions, 5.0 rebound 50s, 1.6 tackles.

Matt Suckling 2012:
20.0 disposals, 393 metres gained, 75% kicking efficiency, 4.9 contested possessions, 14.4 uncontested possessions, 2.8 rebound 50s, 1.6 tackles.
Would you mind comparing Birchall to Smith? :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back