All new AFL player ratings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Check out this weird article on the AFL site.
Our highest ranked player Stephen Hill is 77th. Narrowly edged out in 76th place by Daniel Kerr.
Nat Fyfe 88th Pav 89th. Players ranked higher than Hilly, Callan Ward, Mathew Boyd, Ben McEvoy, Jack Redden.
Must confess have not read the criteria of how they arrive at this but certainly way off the mark.

Anyone with any footy knowledge or just general knowledge will see how terrible this system is. Jokes include mcpharlin 300, mundy outside top 100, dangerfield 2, mcevoy 2nd best ruck, Hurn best defender, 3 hawthorn players inside top 5 forwards.

Only afl.com and clueless twelve year olds could ever use this system to prove anything other than how stupid some people are to firstly put together and secondly release this complete joke of a system.

Thought it might be interesting to note (while i have hung a fair bit on the ratings that we have shot from two players in the top hundred to five.

Apparently Mundy played a blinder - cruisng from outside the 300 to the top 70

Thought it might be interesting to note (while i have hung a fair bit on the ratings that we have shot from two players in the top hundred to five.

Apparently Mundy played a blinder - cruisng from outside the 300 to the top 70
We also lost the honour of having the worst ranked top player. Stephen Hill overtook Nathan Jones...

i actually think they've changed the formula this week. according to the trending, mundy came into the season ranked 28th and has never left the top 100

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I tallied up the top 22 for each side. Couldn't be stuffed trying to make the actual best/fit 22s, which I'm sure is different, but anyway:
  1. Hawthorn 8768
  2. Geelong 8377
  3. Sydney 8375
  4. Collingwood 7894
  5. Essendon 7797
  6. West Coast 7761
  7. North Melbourne 7541
  8. Richmond 7454
  9. Carlton 7439
  10. Adelaide 7435
  11. St Kilda 6929
  12. Fremantle 6855
  13. Brisbane 6628
  14. Gold Coast 6531
  15. Western Bulldogs 6291
  16. Port Adelaide 6086
  17. Melbourne 5828
  18. GWS 4856

Nathan Fyfe is third in contested possessions in the AFL in 2013, but is ranked 115th in the Official AFL Player ratings after slipping from 98th last week. Patrick Dangerfield is ranked fifth in contested possessions but is second in the AFL Official Player ratings.

Great system :rolleyes:

Fyfe doesn't have as good a kick as Danger but that rank differential is BS.

Nat Fyfe had 29 possies and 4 goals in a BOG performance on Saturday yet his Official AFL Player rating dropped. Dafuq.

What waxhead came up with this shite?

It's not difficult to understand; they have overvalued score involvements as a multiplier in the system. I'm guessing they did it because the original model wasn't producing a result that had the players that the average person would rank as top ten, in the top ten. Once they added the fudge factor it put player x where they thought he should be, but with a consequence of making the rankings for players 11 to 500 nonsensicle rubbish.
Remember also that we are a team the scores predominately from turnovers from playing the game in our forward half*. You can't get a cheap handball in a scoring chain off half back if they aren't happening.

*I.E. Many of our scores are turnover-pass-score or turnover-score. rather than clearance-pass-pass-pass-pass-score. The result being we average less touches per scoring chain and that, combined with our moderate scoring, pushes our players down the rankings.

Nat Fyfe had 29 possies and 4 goals in a BOG performance on Saturday yet his Official AFL Player rating dropped. Dafuq.

What waxhead came up with this shite?

Whilst everyone knows the system is flawed, I believe it's based on the players last 40 games, so a players 41st game gets dropped off their rating. 41 games ago Fyfe had a strong game with 28 possies and 2 goals, don't be surprised to see him drop again next week, because 40 games ago he had 30 touches, 2 goals and 3 votes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back