All out for 31, but they won the game!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Sadly all this indicates is just how 'first class' this competition actually is.

From memory the Sri Lankan first class competition is actually just a grade cricket style club competition.

seen a few people who did well in first class Sri Lankan and Pakistan cricket then come over here in local comps and just do average.

Check out this astonishing result in Sri Lanka. The team batting first is bowled out inside 16 overs on day 1, but somehow won the match by 4 runs. One for all you statisticians out there - has a team ever been bowled out for less than 31, but still won the game?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/premier-league-tournament-2014-15/engine/match/859469.html

Dude. 31 is not even close to the record! Check this out:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/476041.html

I remember one senior game I played in when I was like 13 where the opposition rolled us for 49 and ended up getting them nine down with the winning runs being scored with a top edge that flew basically straight up but ended up just carrying the keeper.

It really is a funny game sometimes

When I was a boy, I went to see SA play Queensland at Adelaide Oval. SA were sent in on a damp pitch (they'd never play on it these days), Terry Jenner walked in at 4/6 and went for a slog. After he smashed a quick 24 and got out, Les Favell declared the innings closed at 7/40. Test bowler Peter Allan had 6/20.

Queensland found its' way to 130, a 1st innings lead of 90. Then SA made 279 in the 2nd innings and bowled Queensland out for 175 to win by 14 runs. One of the more remarkable wins I've seen.

Dude. 31 is not even close to the record! Check this out:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/476041.html
The legends around that game are fantastic. Supposedly, the Hon Lord Tennyson (who later captained England) hoovered up all the bets he could after the first innings at whatever odds he could get because he reckoned Warwickshire were pretty rubbish and they could be rolled. Walter Livesy (number 10 for Hants) sometimes acted as Tennyson's butler and batman, and was under strict instructions not to get out, but stay with Brown until enough runs had been got.

Tennyson won a fortune.

The legends around that game are fantastic. Supposedly, the Hon Lord Tennyson (who later captained England) hoovered up all the bets he could after the first innings at whatever odds he could get because he reckoned Warwickshire were pretty rubbish and they could be rolled. Walter Livesy (number 10 for Hants) sometimes acted as Tennyson's butler and batman, and was under strict instructions not to get out, but stay with Brown until enough runs had been got.

Tennyson won a fortune.

Yes, I know that legend. The 1921 Ashes series was notable for many things, but surely chief amongst them is that the two captains (Armstrong and Tennyson(3 of the 5 tests)) are about the most interesting men to have ever led their countries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back