All the Americans are on Drugs

XFactor1979

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2008
Lurkville
AFL Club
West Coast
no doubt this will be an unpopular opinion and post; but for me the american olympic team, and all american sports in general is the dirtiest in terms of the amount of performance enhancing drugs they have taken to ensure success

it was revealed in the paper today that michael johnson handed back his gold medal for winning the 4x400metre relay in the sydney 2000 olympics when 2 of his teammates Alvin and Calvin harrison and Antonio pettigrew failed drug tests!

marion jones being stripped of her 5 medals for that meet was just the tip of the iceberg in terms of how much the american athletes are on drugs

next in the firing line : team USA basketball team.

and yes, i know everyone here looks up to the Americans. they have given us so many cool movies from Hollywood yeh?

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Have you considered that the main reason that more US athletes are exposed than other countries might be because USADA and the like have more rigorous testing regimes in place than in many countries? Particularly those where the governments are quite possibly promoting doping?

I mean, China have been caught out forging birth certificates for underage gymnasts. Do you really think they shy away from juicing a few athletes? The East Germans never did.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
No, Lewis was never caught with drugs.

Well OK, it was only for a small amount, and the USA Track and Field Association decided it wasn't a 'significant' amount. And it was only once.

We;;, OK, it was more than once, but they told him not to do it again, and to tell all his teammates not to do it - so they didn't.

Well, except for Kelli White, Justin Gatlin, Antonio Pettigrew, Marion Jones, Jerome Young (who tested positive in 1999 and won the Gold in Sydney 2000). But it's only athletics.

Well,, except for baseball where over 100 players were named as taking steroids in the early 2000's.

And football where at least a dozen players have so far been suspended, and half a team's superbowl roster was taking them (Carolina). But it's only muck-raking journalists whio make this stuff up.

Well, except for the guy who actually ran the US Olympics Doping Control program, and said that over halfh the US athletes caught before the Atlanta Games in 1996 went unpunished by US Olympic Committee. Google Dr Wade Exum.

It's only the Chinese and East Germans! Nothing to see here..............

XFactor1979

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2008
Lurkville
AFL Club
West Coast
the east germans, the chinese and the iranians are sworn enemies of the americans arent they?

if they are the enemies of the americans in this black and white world of ours then they are OUR enemies as well

the americans give us so many cool movies! they're our freunds (sic)

WADA only exist so the 'proper' well paid and sponsered Americans can keep their medals too

Do you mean WADA or CAS - Court of Arbitration for Sport

http://www.tas-cas.org/en/20questions.asp/4-3-216-1010-4-1-1/5-0-1010-13-0-0/
The CAS head office is in Lausanne, Switzerland.

Two decentralized offices are also available to the parties: one in Sydney, Australia, the other in New York, United States (see General Information/Addresses & Contact). *

http://www.tas-cas.org/en/infogenerales.asp/4-3-240-1011-4-1-1/5-0-1011-3-0-0/

Since 1996, ad hoc divisions have been created for each edition of the Olympic Summer and Winter Games. Ad hoc divisions were also set up for the Commonwealth Games since 1998, for the UEFA European Championship since 2000 and for the FIFA World Cup in 2006.* *

Two US relay team members that Marion Jones won medals with in 2000, these other 7 members appealed the IOC's decision that they had to hand back medals, don't have to hand back their medals after a CAS ruling in July in Lausanne.

http://www.tas-cas.org/d2wfiles/document/4306/5048/0/Award FINAL 1545 2010.07.16.pdf

no doubt this will be an unpopular opinion and post; but for me the american olympic team, and all american sports in general is the dirtiest in terms of the amount of performance enhancing drugs they have taken to ensure success

it was revealed in the paper today that michael johnson handed back his gold medal for winning the 4x400metre relay in the sydney 2000 olympics when 2 of his teammates Alvin and Calvin harrison and Antonio pettigrew failed drug tests!

marion jones being stripped of her 5 medals for that meet was just the tip of the iceberg in terms of how much the american athletes are on drugs

and yes, i know everyone here looks up to the Americans. they have given us so many cool movies from Hollywood yeh?

Before Marion Jones etc it was a well known fact in the Olympic sports that the USOC would drug test their athletes between the late 1970's and mid 1990's to make sure they would go to the games and world championships and not get caught.

It was all part of the Cold War battle between the west and iron curtain countries who used athletes as a propaganda tool of the state. Just the yanks like to talk how they were squeaky clean and tried to make sure publicly that image existed. The East Germans were the worst - the soviet union not much better and all the other eastern bloc states were into it as well.

If you look at track and field (ie not road events), except for the newer female events like hammer throw, pole vault and triple jump, and steeplechase, nearly all the female world records are from the 1980's and early 1990's - ie eastern bloc women and USA women and throw in a few dodgy chinese women in the mid 1990's. All those records are drug tainted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_world_records_in_athletics#Women

and

http://www.iaaf.org/statistics/records/inout=O/index.html

Here is some stuff on the USOC testing Olympic athletes and covering up in the 1980's and 1990's.

http://www.faqs.org/sports-science/Us-Z-and-bibliography/United-States-Olympic-Committee-USOC.html

The USOC Coaching Code of Ethics makes particular reference to the obligation of coaches to seek drug-free sport. It is this issue that caused the USOC particular difficulty in terms of the international reputation of American sports in the late 1980s and early 1990s. In the period between scandals created at the 1988 Summer Olympics when Canadian sprinter Ben Johnson tested positive for the steroid stanozolol and the creation of the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) in the late 1990s, the USOC administered the Olympic drug-detection program. The USOC was widely criticized for its maintenance of an ineffective anti-doping program. Dr. Wade Exum of the USOC, who was responsible for the direction of the program, was terminated from his position in 2001. Exum revealed at that time that the USOC had recorded 18 positive drug tests among its tested athletes between 1984 and 2000, but it had not published the names of these athletes nor had the USOC imposed any sanctions regarding the participation of the offending athletes in international competition. The positive tests ranged from the presence of stimulants such as ephedrine, as well as banned steroids. These athletes were permitted by the USOC to participate in the Olympics; Carl Lewis, gold medalist in the 1988 Olympics 100 m, was among those that tested positive.

http://www.faqs.org/sports-science/Us-Z-and-bibliography/United-States-Olympic-Committee-USOC.html

I remember being in Canada and watching Ben Johnson's coach Charlie Francis - know as Charlie the chemist - live on cable TV giving evidence in the Dubin Inquiry into Johnson and drugs in Canadian sport, talk about how the USOC would drug test their athletes to make sure they went to the games clean and how they wouldn't out them if they were positive. That was February 1989.

Then there was the LA Olympics when a dozen or so positives were recorded but mysteriously the IOC lost the athletes code and none of these athletes testing positives were identified. I don't have Andrew Jennings book Lord of the Rings handy but many were medal winners because only a few non medal winners were tested.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
One interesting quote from Charlie Francis was 'Performance Enhancing Drugs are unethical because they are illegal - not because they are bad'. he was convinced that when administered under medical supervision they were safe.

As a comparison, I saw an interview with a couple of swimmers, who were taking up to $500 per week on Legal supplements during a championship lead-up. Cathy Freeman took scads of legal supplements.

So, basically we always banned drugs because we didn't want the medals to go to 'the athlete with the best Chemist' - well, that's what we have now.

Of course the big rumour was that the Ben Johnson bust was meant to be covered-up like all the others, but some jounos found out by accident, so the IOC had to follow it through.

Wallaby - did you write in an Olympics thread during Beijing, or last years World Champs in Berlin, that you went to a sprint coaching seminar given by Charlie Francis here in Oz?

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
No, I didn't get there - but I've read a lot about him and spoken to the guys who have seen him. He seems like genius - he earns enormous respect for his knowledge of sprints/jumps/hurdles - just some of his ethics are a bit dubious.

We use a lot of his routines in hurdles training.

Ok I remembered you posted something about his training techniques from a seminar he gave.

Yeah he appeared to be a great coach re technique, power-strength training, routines etc. Just that he was very blase about the ethics of performance enhancing drugs at the same time.

Still remember him being in the witness box at the Dubin inquiry and giving 2 days testimony on all things athletics and drugs, drawing graphs of expected improvement vs actual - implicating Flo Jo with those graphs without mentioning her name etc etc. It was a commanding performance. His track squad loved him and he convinced them to take ped's to be on the same playing field as the others. Charlie the chemist was a fair nickname.

It was sad to hear he passed away in May to a non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. His book Speed trap was pretty interesting the few chapters i read many years ago.

HSSB

Cancelled
Sep 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Boston Celtics - GWS Giants
USA Basketball Team? They're black thats why they're so good

XFactor1979

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2008
Lurkville
AFL Club
West Coast
USA Basketball Team? They're black thats why they're so good

liberians are americo africans!

they have maurice taylors in liberia

i think they are looking to name towns in liberia allen iverson, shaquille o'neal or lebron james

squallid third world shitholes... but in commemoration of the standard of americanisation!

Found this last night when looking for some other athletics stuff. I missed it back in 2003 when Dr. Wade Exum of the USOC came out and admitted USOC let US athletes off after positive drug tests. Carl Lewis admits he took drugs and attitude was - who cares!

Lewis: 'Who cares I failed drug test?'

Duncan Mackay The Guardian, Thursday 24 April 2003

Carl Lewis has broken his silence on allegations that he was the beneficiary of a drugs cover-up, admitting he had tested positive for banned substances but claiming he was just one of "hundreds" of American athletes who were allowed to escape bans.

"There were hundreds of people getting off," he said. "Everyone was treated the same."

Lewis has now acknowledged that he failed three tests during the 1988 US Olympic trials, which under international rules at the time should have prevented him from competing in the Seoul games two months later.

The admission is a further embarrassment for the United States Olympic Committee, which had initially denied claims that 114 positive tests between 1988 and 2000 were covered up. It will add weight to calls by leading anti-doping officials and top athletes for an independent inquiry into the US's record on drug issues.

Last week Dr Wade Exum alleged that a ban imposed on Lewis after positive tests for three stimulants had been overturned by the USOC when the athlete said he had ingested them mistakenly in a herbal supplement

Lewis received only a warning after officials ruled that his positive tests were due to "inadvertent" use. Some scientists believe the substances could have been a masking agent for more serious drugs, such as anabolic steroids.

"The climate was different then," said Lewis. "Over the years a lot of people will sit around and debate that [the drug] does something. There really is no pure evidence to show that it does something. It does nothing

Lewis: 'Who cares I failed drug test?'

XFactor1979

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2008
Lurkville
AFL Club
West Coast
*Bump*

When I was watching the World Swimming Championships, it just seemed implausible that in an elite level sporting competition that the American swimmers are 25 metres ahead of everyone else

Its not because youre "that" good, heck, Ive been to America, the food or the water isnt "that" good over there...

'Fess up

Illinois Nazi

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Jul 8, 2002
Why? You stalking me?
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Whoever's winning
Apparently half the North Korean women's soccer team that qualified have since been banned and aren't there. But because it's the nation that has qualified not the individuals, North Korea still get to enter a team.

Illinois Nazi

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Jul 8, 2002
Why? You stalking me?
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Whoever's winning
I should add that based on what I've seen the last couple of days, if any of the soccer players from any nation that are there ARE on drugs, then it's tranquilisers they're taking.

ZZZZZZZZZ......

rayven

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 26, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PC racing
You just have to look at baseball, thats were all the money is in developing doping programs one step ahead of WADA...

You just got to look at the big pharma and what they're into and the money and I rekon you could, if you followed sponsorship dollars, find a link somewhere..

You just got to look at the cocktails of supplements given to the military....

Cheating, it's in thier blood

Unstable

Team Captain
Feb 11, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
Honestly, everyone is on drugs. Especially the major powers such as China, America, Russia. I also suspect some Australians sportsmen and women to be on the juice.

blackcat

Irving's godfather and handle
Dec 29, 2003
Beverly Hills 90210 Antifa bracket
AFL Club
Richmond

can you make a case that the Australians are different.

I agree with your proposition. But Mel Gainsford, tell me why she was not on the gear. She may have been on less than Jones. But tell me why she was clean.

Remember, the tests dont work. Armstrong prolly passed ~160 clean. There is one that may be covered up. There is some in disputed re:2000. Then the cortico positive which he got a backdated TUE in 99.

They all dope, those who make the finals in T&A and swimming.

Ask someone in Swimming Australia who they covered up for, with a positive test, in 98. Not Thorpe. One of Gennadi Toureski's group.

Just do digging, you will know that the Yanks are no different. They may be better resourced, and have better access to technology advances (science, pharmaceuticals that is), but they would not have much on the Chinese, who will do the centralised doping propaganda thing... like GDR. But we do it in the capitalist free market manner.

These athletes are tools for the state. I feel sorry for 18yo women who have to take exogenous hormones to swim fast for you, for me, for Australia. Not for me they dont have to swim fast.

We are the same. The faster you understand that, the better.

blackcat

Dec 29, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Honestly, everyone is on drugs. Especially the major powers such as China, America, Russia. I also suspect some Australians sportsmen and women to be on the juice.

all the Australians who will make finals. And even in sports like Beach Volleyball, and Indoor VB, and Hockey for chrissakes.

I must be a misogynist cos I cant reconcile doping female <18yo gymnasts and swimmers.

rowie343

Team Captain
Aug 18, 2009
victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
the east germans, the chinese and the iranians are sworn enemies of the americans arent they?

if they are the enemies of the americans in this black and white world of ours then they are OUR enemies as well

the americans give us so many cool movies! they're our freunds (sic)
Agree with your sentiment. Drug cheats are everywhere, team usa were pioneers. And we jump all over the chinese whenever they out-perform or smash us. America our friends, china iran russia our enemies I guess. America gave us MTV and movies so yeh, they dont cheat.

blackcat

Dec 29, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Agree with your sentiment. Drug cheats are everywhere, team usa were pioneers. And we jump all over the chinese whenever they out-perform or smash us. America our friends, china iran russia our enemies I guess. America gave us MTV and movies so yeh, they dont cheat.

think USSR started the stated sponsored thing, that the GDR adopts, and the US outsources... we are going back 50 years.

Back