All the nice little things about winning the 2014 Premiership

Your favorite Hawthorn premiership?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

A month on and it's still a great conversation starter. Had a long chat with someone wearing a back to back hoody today :D

I know! I ran into a fellow Hawks supporter last week who I hadn't seen since the GF and we chatted for ages about it, much happiness ensued :) :) :) (along with a bit of jealousy as she got to go to the after party and mingle with all the players etc.)

Last edited:
It's good to deflect female attention so my dad and I can talk 'for real':

Dad: Remember in the second when Hodgey intercepted the kick-in?!

Me: Hell yeah I do! What a reader of the play...

*My wife and mum tune out and start talking amongst themselves*

Dad: OK, now that they're out of it... *Cue inappropriate conversation*

Although, in all fairness we usually end up talking about the GF anyway :D

Took my 3.5yo to Sydney Uni on Saturday for some photos with the cups. He absolutely loved it and didn't want to leave.

When I finally got him out of there, we found a dude sitting out the front with a sign that said something along the lines of "Hawthorn man seeking Hawthorn woman for companionship etcetera etcetera...." I said to the guy, why don't you just go and find a Sydney chick and convert her. He asked me how, so I told him how I took my Sydney born and bred wife (girlfriend at the time) to the 2008 grand final...

Despite the fact he missed two wonderful opportunities, I told him not to panic as he'll have plenty more to come ;)

F@#k I love this club.

Last edited:

When I finally got him out of there, we found a dude sitting out the front with a sign that said something along the lines of "Hawthorn man seeking Hawthorn woman for companionship etcetera etcetera...." I said to the guy, why don't you just go and find a Sydney chick and convert her. He asked me how, so I told him how I took my Sydney born and bred wife (girlfriend at the time) to the 2008 grand final...

Despite the fact he missed two wonderful opportunities, I told him not to panic as he'll have plenty more to come ;)

That's how you create a Hawthorn Caliphate......it's the Genghis Khan strategy for total domination.

You know maybe that's what Buddy's mission is.......send our greatest lover and physical specimen into the enemy's heartland to impregnate their women with future Hawthorn warriors (FS).

Except for the first half, when a downpour hit the ground & we were stuck way up top in the old Northern Stand with no umbrella & no protection....Soaked to the bone & took till we hit the train station to dry off completely....Bitter-Sweet that one!

Conan would have warmed the cockles of your heart though.;)

1991 was great as we were written off as too old, although many non-Hawk Victorians wanted us to beat the Weagles. But for the terrible injuries in 1990 it could have been a 88-91 fourpeat. 2014 was unbelievable. I spent the week before throwing cans at the TV as all the commentator dipsh*ts Healy, King & Co raved about how great the Swans were and how they would wipe the floor with... hang on, they haven't even mentioned the opponent!!?? Its like we never existed! I have NEVER felt so satisfied with a GF win. It was also great watching the grim sh*tfaces of Fitzpatrick & co from the AFL when they realized that even with COLA, Sh*tney was not good enough.

Conan would have warmed the cockles of your heart though.;)

Thought Dunstall was unlucky not to win the Norm Smith that year, much as Rodney Eade was also unlucky in 1986....Taking nothing away from Conan's performances though which were well worthy!

Can't believe the lack of love on this board & in this thread for 1978 & 1986 Premierships though....Says sumfin bout the demographics in the place I'd reckon....Christ we knocked off the Olde Silver Tails in 86 as well as it being the only year in which we have lost a final, to then come back to win the Premiership!

That's how you create a Hawthorn Caliphate......it's the Genghis Khan strategy for total domination.

You know maybe that's what Buddy's mission is.......send our greatest lover and physical specimen into the enemy's heartland to impregnate their women with future Hawthorn warriors (FS).

Can work the other way as I found out with a born and bred Brisbane ex during the 2012 GF

Still love this club though :)

Jesus Christ I just came on here and saw that I'd been awarded a '14 year member' trophy.

I actually read it as inch not year as well which added to the shock.

Well, you're older than me - you old codger!

And I wouldn't reject a 14" trophy ...

SEN Grand Final broadcast 2hr 23 minutes in.
Dermot Brereton::
” What this reminds me, Dean, is a prized fighter who’s got the title but he’s had set up fights. He’s had soft runs in, suddenly he gets a real challenger and the challenger has knocked him on his arse and he doesn’t know how to deal with it!”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Festival of the Boot 1hr 33 minutes in.
H.G. Nelson:

My favourite quote was at half time when Roy Slaven said Malceski should be addressing the rest of the team about what it's like to play like a champ in a team of dickheads.

Roy Slaven on the Swans performance.

It'd be like the Swans being a team of plumbers and your cistern is buggered, and they arrive, destroy your house, and just leave cistern sitting there still not working, the only thing on the block of ground. Well there's going to be an enquiry. Firstly you gotta phone the police. You gotta say "Listen sir, if you don't mind I gotta make a complaint here, my house has just disappeared" "What happened?" "Oh I called the plumbers" "Oh yeah who were they?" "The Sydney Swans" "And what did they do?" "They came and left the toilet as it was and took the house away and destroyed it." You know, there WILL be an enquiry, that's essentially what's happened today.

Pics like this appearing in The Guardian in an article re 2015 Fixture. Thought it would be good in here! :)

hfc b2b.jpeg

Does anyone else love the fact that on many highlights packages/montages, they always show pictures of the reigning premiers celebrating on Grand Final day, on the dais, running the lap of honour, all the confetti spraying into the air etc etc. and it's always us. They can't even take footage from the year before to feature another team, coz that was us as well!

For the observant of you out there - at one stage it appears as though one of the Burgoyne boys was about to do a runner with the Premiership Cup during the medal presentations. Have a look around the point David Hale is going up on stage to collect his medallion. In the background I'm sure young silk is thinking he could take the cup off that fat, bald guy and make a run for it. Sure the guy might look quick over the first 10m but after that he's a goner. In the end though, he caves in and just strokes the Cup for good luck, probably coz his dad is looming around him. And his dad looks faster than the fat, bald guy, so... :D

I actually love the up close and personal footage that the multimedia crew from the hawks got after the siren. I love Hodgey and Spang's embrace and you can hear Spang say "You were unbelievable" and Hodgey saying "I thought you were going to take a hanger at the end there" Thats just brilliant stuff.

I actually love the up close and personal footage that the multimedia crew from the hawks got after the siren. I love Hodgey and Spang's embrace and you can hear Spang say "You were unbelievable" and Hodgey saying "I thought you were going to take a hanger at the end there" Thats just brilliant stuff.
How great would it have been to see Spang take an absolute screamer? Long hair blown back as he sits on the shoulders of a couple Swans. Then to go back and kick the final goal on or after the siren. Crowd would have gone absolute nuts!

How great would it have been to see Spang take an absolute screamer? Long hair blown back as he sits on the shoulders of a couple Swans. Then to go back and kick the final goal on or after the siren. Crowd would have gone absolute nuts!

Would have capped of an already perfect day. The crowd would have been beside themselves, me included!!

Back