All the nice little things about winning the 2014 Premiership

Your favorite Hawthorn premiership?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I discovered a recording of the Rd 18 game v Swans on my Foxtel box last night so decided to have a look - you know, basking in the glory of another victory v these campaigners.

We had their measure for 3 quarters and absolutely steam-rolled them in the third quarter. So it got me thinking, how the f&*k could so may people be so convinced the Swans were that much better they had the GF in the bag. And for King to go for a 10 goal margin. FFS, in that game we were without Lake, Hale, Rioli, Duryea and Spangher. Schoey got towelled by Tippett, Lither was ordinary, Langers yet to have his breakout, Cegs ordinary, Simpkin ordinary and Woody did nothing. Our GF side was miles better, yet apparently not as good as the Swans. The mind boggles how some people get so carried away.

Last edited:
Another reason why I love Hawthorn...

We very rarely, if ever get embarrassed in September.

The last time we got belted in a final (i.e. by more than 7 goals) was the 1985 Grand Final.

In 30 years we've played 43 finals (won 27 of them) with our greatest losses being the 1987 GF (33 points), 2007 Semi Final (33 points) and the 2011 Qualifying Final (31 points)

In that time...

Carlton have been belted on 5 occasions (45 points in the 2000 PF, 63 points in the 1999 QF, 97 points in the 1996 SF, 45 points in the 1996 QF, 44 points in the 1993 GF and 42 points in the 1986 GF)

Essendon have been belted on 5 occasions (62 points in 2011 EF, 96 points in 2009 EF, 48 points in the 1990 GF, 63 points in the 1990 QF, 96 points in the 1989 PF)

Collingwood have been belted on 2 occasions (73 points in 2009 PF and 50 points in the 2003 GF)

Geelong have been belted on 5 occasions (55 points in 2004 QF, 50 points in the 1996 QF, 61 points in the 1995 GF, 80 points in the 1994 GF, 76 points in the 1989 QF)

Sydney have belted on 9 occasions (63 points in the 2014 GF, 54 points in the 2013 QF, 51 points in the 2004 SF, 44 points in the 2003 PF, 54 points in the 2001 EF, 69 points in the 1999 QF, 43 points in the 1996 GF, 76 points in the 1987 SF and 99 points in the 1987 QF)

During the Grand Final much of the talk surrounded the un-Sydney like performance, I would argue that their performance was par for course. The Swans have played 40 finals in 30 years and been belted in 9 of them (4 by us mind you)

That culture, dah bloodz :drunk:

When we beat the swans in the last H&A game in 2012 my brother, a Swans supporter, said "We learned a lot more from that game than you did". They went on to win the flag.

After we flogged the Swans in round 18 this year my brother said "We learned a lot more from that game than you did".

When we belted the living suitcase out of them in the GF I sent him a text "You learned a lot more out of that game than we did".

A small piece of revenge, but it tasted very sweet.

When we beat the swans in the last H&A game in 2012 my brother, a Swans supporter, said "We learned a lot more from that game than you did". They went on to win the flag.

After we flogged the Swans in round 18 this year my brother said "We learned a lot more from that game than you did".

When we belted the living suitcase out of them in the GF I sent him a text "You learned a lot more out of that game than we did".

Is your brother Chris Scott?

Mission Accomplished!

I discovered a recording of the Rd 18 game v Swans on my Foxtel box last night so decided to have a look - you know, basking in the glory of another victory v these campaigners.

We had their measure for 3 quarters and absolutely steam-rolled them in the third quarter. So it got me thinking, how the f&*k could so may people be so convinced the Swans were that much better they had the GF in the bag. And for King to go for a 10 goal margin. FFS, in that game we were without Lake, Hale, Rioli, Duryea and Spangher. Schoey got towelled by Tippett, Lither was ordinary, Langers yet to have his breakout, Cegs ordinary, Simpkin ordinary and Woody did nothing. Our GF side was miles better, yet apparently not as good as the Swans. The mind boggles how some people get so carried away.
And you can add Mitch and Gibbo to that list as they were coming back from LTIs and had yet to find their groove.

I've also watched a fair few replays on Fox over the last few weeks and noticed a distinct change in our tackling which appears to be influenced by rugby league. I noticed the tackle Roughy applied on Hannebery in the GF many many times in other games to similar effect.

Perhaps Simon or Phil could shed more light on this...

And you can add Mitch and Gibbo to that list as they were coming back from LTIs and had yet to find their groove.

I've also watched a fair few replays on Fox over the last few weeks and noticed a distinct change in our tackling which appears to be influenced by rugby league. I noticed the tackle Roughy applied on Hannebery in the GF many many times in other games to similar effect.

Perhaps Simon or Phil could shed more light on this...

I recall seeing Rough apply one of those tackles late in the Rd 18 game. It was at the edge of the vision, but I sat up and took note, having seen the one on Hannebery.

It is really pleasing that teams can learn a lot from the games they play against us. Education is always a great thing.

Too bad it doesn't do them any good. Sort of like when you stick your hand in a fire. You learn that it fricken hurts. You don't do it again. But it doesn't teach you how to do it without getting burnt.

I recall seeing Rough apply one of those tackles late in the Rd 18 game. It was at the edge of the vision, but I sat up and took note, having seen the one on Hannebery.

Tania?

47302_25b060bb5c1d220b84d577889ff8805e.gif

This is the part that has me totally miffed ... We had 1/3 of our side missing for the majority of the year, yet finished 2nd only by percentage.
... Yet the press made it out like the $wannies had some stellar year and were in a class of their own.

I copped stick from all my mates all year ... "you're done", "too old", etc, etc ... As i kept saying, just wait till we have a full list on the park - then make that judgement.

When we finally did have a full list available (GF) ... We proved what we are made of ... Pure f'ing class!!!

Geez it feels GREAT to be a Hawk!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My youngest son plays cricket in Div 1 U14's here in brisbane. All turf wickets and professional umpires. He's 12. Last week, he wore a Hawks b2b T-shirt to training. One kid said Ha! Hawks suck.
He replied with "Who do you support?"
"Fremantle"
"What ship has never docked in fremantle? The premiership"

"Yeah OK I'd better shut up now, I can't believe I let myself get into a supporting match with a hawthorn supporter. I've got nowhere to hide."

I was big on that before the grand final. My favourite bit was Litherland playing on Buddy for half the night :eek:. Clarko toyed with them. Again :D

my birthday is Nov, just after its released - I am so easy to buy for

So, your username is pretty appropriate, then.

Make sure they buy the expensive DVDS, not the cheap ones!

Just watching some post game footage now when the lads are all on stage after the concert and they all have the jumpers on over white shirts and all are wearing slacks............except Burgoyne - still in full playing kit. Haha.

Back