All the nice little things about winning the 2014 Premiership

Your favorite Hawthorn premiership?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

2014 closely followed by 2008 and 1991 because all three were flags where we were written off and proved the doubters wrong. This year takes the cake as we not only went back to back but we avenged our 2012 debacle and won despite a tough draw and a whole lot of injuries.

I only started following AFL properly in 2004 (what a Hawthorn season to start with!), but 2008 was very sweet because we were the underdog by such a long way.

...but 2014 has clinched it. Not that 2013 wasn't brilliant, but I think the victory over Geelong the week before and then Franklin's defection a week later both overshadowed the actual Grand Final.

2014 has everything - the hard draw, the significant injuries to big players and the stepping up of lower ranked players to keep us in contention, losing the coach to illness for a period, being the underdog in the GF to a team who were going to smash us, redemption for 2012, beating 3 ex-Hawks who defected to Sydney and like to turn it on against us, winning meaning we went back to back, going back to back exactly 25 years after doing it the first time, proving that we could win without Franklin and AGAINST Franklin...

The list goes on. I read elsewhere that you can't consider 2014 a 'fairytale' win, as Hawthorn have played in 3 grand finals on the trot and we were the two best teams of the year playing each other (so it's not like a club ranked 7th coming out of nowhere to win)...but when you write it all down, I think it is a bit of a fairytale.

Put it this way, if I ever have kids, this will be the story that I read to them each night. :D

Getting the lovely wife to look after the kids so I can head down to a cafe, read both papers cover to cover while sipping on a couple if strong coffees.

Took my car to the car wash for the same reason - get some piece and quiet to read the newspapers. Oh, and to get the rear window sparkling for the B2B sticker I bought at Supporters Day at Glenferrie!

Sent from my mobile device.

iH7EwkN.jpg

Need I say more really?

The assumption that, at some stage in the future, they'll start having back to back reunions for the players to reminisce about the good times. And as a player from the '13 team, Buddy will be invited.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The media are going to struggle this week trying to put news of the AFL grand final to bed with some other AFL hot news item...

Expect ASADA to have something to say about it...

They say that hate is poisonous, but revenge tastes so sweet... One of those days where everything went right - like the freo game earlier in the year.

Walking around perth in my hawks gear. Seeing another hawks supporter doing the same. Meeting their gaze and sharing a moment of mutual hawk appreciation. Sometimes a hug, sometimes a high five. Sometimes nothing more than than a knowing glance and a shared smile.

F**k I love this club.

Hard to decide between 08 and 14. Went with 14 because it was proof that our club is great and that we beat not only the Sydney swans football club but also the afl. Add to that the affirmation of team and the defeat of judas and you have something that is bigger than just our club and will have ramifications for the whole league. I think we are very fortunate to have this debate!!

I love seeing two cups next to club support on BF. A little thing indeed, but I love it. Also loved today to see that there were no incidents commented on by the MRP. That also made me think about how little I even noticed the umpires on the day, which is great. Just each day I wake up and my first thought is that we won B2B flags. How many great teams did not manage that? In fact only 1 team has managed it in between ours. Also the thought that celebrating the 25th aniversary of your first B2B by going B2B again is pretty darn wonderful.

Love this club so, so much.

Also that kid who told Hodgey "you're my hero" :cry::cry::cry::cry:

Walking around perth in my hawks gear. Seeing another hawks supporter doing the same. Meeting their gaze and sharing a moment of mutual hawk appreciation. Sometimes a hug, sometimes a high five. Sometimes nothing more than than a knowing glance and a shared smile.

F**k I love this club.

Similar thing happened to me in 08. Watched the Granny at home by myself (couldn't watch it at my Geelong mate's house - never in a million years). Following the win I got the Mrs to drive me to my Geelong mate's place for post-GF celebrations :D. I was wearing my freshly purchased 2008 clash guernsey. Stopped at BP servo to fill up on the way, as i walked (staggered) in to the station to pay for the fuel plus a bag of chips, another HFC fan decked out in a long sleeve guernsey had just paid for his petrol and was walking out. Our eyes met under the automatic door sensor, we stopped and neither of us really knew what to do next. So I went for it. Planted a big hug on him, and luckily he reciprocated*.

My Mrs looked extremely embarrassed when I got back into the car, but I think that's the moment she finally understood how much this club means to not only me, but every other HFC fan that bleeds brown and gold.

Happy days :D:D:D

*noharrytaylor

I think this was my favorite. Last year was more relief, 2008 was surprise, 80s and 91 I was 13 and under so whilst they were great (and I've watched them serveral times since) not the same. This was huge. This was a systematic dismantling of a team that was supposed to be a lot better than us. Plus the fact we won by plenty gave me plenty of time to enjoy it and soak it in.

Nice little thing about this one, we've won more flags in 2 years than some clubs have in their entire histories, more than most clubs over the last 20 years.

We've now won more flags than any other side in the AFL era, we've won more flags than anyone since our inception into the VFL.

We now have two players who have doubled up on Normies.

We've smashed Sydney at their own game and genuinely got redemption for 2012.

Back