All things Chris Dawes - 2014 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

butters88

Club Legend
Apr 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Believe it or not, in the middle years of high school he was kind of a terror. Then come year 11/12 he was one of the most studious blokes going round.
Somehow that did not surprise me at all... If you said Jack Watts was a terror and a bully then that might have

Late to the party but, actually went to school with him (and Watts, but a year ahead of him).

Can attest he's a very nice bloke off the pitch aswell.
Hard to imagine that Watts only graduated from Brighton three years after Dawes. The gap in maturity seems like so much more.

Manic Magpie

Cancelled
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
I have inadvertently initiated a new thread on Chris Dawes on the Collingwood forum. As a long time Dawes' fan, I commented in the VFL thread that Tim Broomhead, who was taken with the number 20 draft pick Melbourne gave us for Dawes, had not shown enough yet as a player to allow us to declare win-win with Melbourne on the trade. There are still many Collingwood supporters who believe Dawes to be a very ordinary, even 's**t' player, and some even went so far as to suggest that Melbourne supporters only believe he is a good player because of the poor quality of your list.

So many posters commented on my initial post that Mods created a new thread, which is not even 24 hours old but has already run to 5 pages. If any Melbourne posters feel like wandering over to our board to read and hopefully comment, please do so. It would be useful for the Dawes dislikers to get a recent perspective on Dawes as a player and a leader from supporters of his new club. The thread is: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-dawes-trade-still-a-sore-point.1062138/. Our mods are very accommodating in their treatment of supporters of other clubs.

Cheers!

wowlace

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2010
Kewarra Beach
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
Champion. Love his enthusiasm! I never expected much from him. I just saw him as a Mitch Clark foil similar to the Cloke set up, but he has taken on the sole target role and excelled. Gosh cannot wait to see Hogan in there too.

May 6, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
He's a serious forward again. Scary to think he's had a very limited pre-season and within 4 games has already had a 20 and 3 game. We saw it last year when he showed passages of good form, and I thought this year that it may take him until the back half of the season until we see him find form, but he's already one of the inform KPF's in the comp. Please stay on the park.

Manic Magpie

Cancelled
Dec 16, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Chris Dawes took overhead marks against Adelaide, something he rarely accomplished playing for Collingwood. He looked intent on standing up for you guys. He seems a confidence player, elevated to higher levels of performance by feeling comfortable but challenged in his role and being the major target in the absence of Clark and Hogan, assuming the role of forward line general. Wayne Carey said on Talking Footy that he had never seen him play like this before, while Footy Classified highlighted his leadership qualities and his play on field. Dawes and Viney appear to have regenerated the team, as Melbourne have won two victories since their return.

SuburbanMe

Premiership Player
Feb 23, 2010
Somewhere between Heaven and Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
FITZROY FOOTBALL CLUB
The one thing I find kinda funny is that at collingwood, Dawes seems to find it difficult playing in the forward line and taking ruck contests when needed, but over the past couple of weeks, not only has dawes been a cracker up forward, but his relief rucking has been superb.

There were other issues at the pies if you ask me.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
The one thing I find kinda funny is that at collingwood, Dawes seems to find it difficult playing in the forward line and taking ruck contests when needed, but over the past couple of weeks, not only has dawes been a cracker up forward, but his relief rucking has been superb.

The issue at Collingwood was he had a bad patch of form, his confidence fell away and I think Bucks and co. lost confidence in him. I don't really subscribe to the theory they mistreated him and this trade will bite them in the arse, he was out of form at the time and if it was a player at our club we'd be screaming for him to be dropped.

At Melbourne he has embraced the extra responsibility as a leader that he didn't have at Collingwood (Because there was already enough leadership at that club) and his confidence is sky high.

36AD

Senior List
May 14, 2004
Beautiful Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
I have inadvertently initiated a new thread on Chris Dawes on the Collingwood forum. As a long time Dawes' fan, I commented in the VFL thread that Tim Broomhead, who was taken with the number 20 draft pick Melbourne gave us for Dawes, had not shown enough yet as a player to allow us to declare win-win with Melbourne on the trade. There are still many Collingwood supporters who believe Dawes to be a very ordinary, even 's**t' player, and some even went so far as to suggest that Melbourne supporters only believe he is a good player because of the poor quality of your list.

So many posters commented on my initial post that Mods created a new thread, which is not even 24 hours old but has already run to 5 pages. If any Melbourne posters feel like wandering over to our board to read and hopefully comment, please do so. It would be useful for the Dawes dislikers to get a recent perspective on Dawes as a player and a leader from supporters of his new club. The thread is: http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-dawes-trade-still-a-sore-point.1062138/. Our mods are very accommodating in their treatment of supporters of other clubs.

Cheers!

My niece is one of the anti-Dawes Collingwood supporters, but I love his heart and leadership. The rest is icing on the cake

36AD

Senior List
May 14, 2004
Beautiful Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
The issue at Collingwood was he had a bad patch of form, his confidence fell away and I think Bucks and co. lost confidence in him. I don't really subscribe to the theory they mistreated him and this trade will bite them in the arse, he was out of form at the time and if it was a player at our club we'd be screaming for him to be dropped.

At Melbourne he has embraced the extra responsibility as a leader that he didn't have at Collingwood (Because there was already enough leadership at that club) and his confidence is sky high.
....and taking his second chance with both hands

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't noticed him rucking at all besides the odd f50 throw in, which is a far cry from what he was asked to do at collingwood.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
On talking footy Wayne Carey saying that he would take Chris Dawes over Travis Cloke right now, How sweet is that

Also champion Data rates Chris Dawes elite for Score Assists which means his loss is huge against Port

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
What did Carey say about Dawes? I forgot the show was on until your post reminded me.:(

They were talking about how Pederson and Dawes had 8 tackles each and that Dawes has turned into a competitive animal at Melbourne and real leader

They werent really having a shot at Cloke but as a comparison they showed that champion data has Dawes better in every category than Cloke this year
Goals, Score Assists, Marks etc

Then Carey said right now if you were to line them up schoolyard style and Pick one or the other that he would take Dawes without a thought right now

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
While it was important for Melbourne to embrace the occasion, Dawes cautioned against it being overstated within the club.

"What I sort of baulk at a bit is we build it up to be finals-like whereas it's another home and away game. We should want to win for that reason alone. We don't need it to be a final to want to win it," Dawes said.

"We should aspire to bigger and better things in terms of being in September. That would be my only hesitation with the build up of the match."

:hearts:

Bump. Might be harsh but Dawes needs to step up. 3 kicks and 2 marks today -- yes he kicked 2 goals but I'd love to see how many marks he missed. Might have finished with 4 goals if his hands were better. They're not all difficult either.

And if he's not taking marks he needs to create more pressure. At his best when he's chasing and tackling hard. He's one of our leaders and needs to be setting a better example for the kids right now.

KAYNE

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2007
Big White
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
Bump. Might be harsh but Dawes needs to step up. 3 kicks and 2 marks today -- yes he kicked 2 goals but I'd love to see how many marks he missed. Might have finished with 4 goals if his hands were better. They're not all difficult either.

And if he's not taking marks he needs to create more pressure. At his best when he's chasing and tackling hard. He's one of our leaders and needs to be setting a better example for the kids right now.

He has really ordinary hands. Just struggles to mark it too often. Love his endeavour as he tries his guts out but really isn't great.

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
He has been quiet in the last month, still chases when it's his turn, but perhaps just not trying to make enough happen. Ever since that suspension he hasn't been quite right, he seems to very much be a touch / form player, until he builds up his rhythm he just fumbles a bit and doesn't work to the right areas.

Not to give him a cop out but half of his problems stem from horrible delivery. Our mids either cook the ball going forward meaning that when he gets it he's under severe pressure, or they always seem to wait too long until he's no longer in a one on one before pumping it long to him in a pack situation, where he's less than a 50-50 chance. A lot of his hard work leading is undone by his teammates. His defensive pressure goes a long way towards allowing us to score at all.

That being said, I do agree that he should spend the summer doing nothing but practising marking out in his hands.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Has had a garbage month no doubt about it but I also think that the ball is to often kicked on his head when it should be clear he wont mark it like that

Seriously there are limbless people who could catch it better than he does

Our forwards just end up standing still because the mids either kick it 15 m infront of them or deep over there head

Back