No Oppo Supporters Jack Watts - Traded to PA for pick 31, Thanks Jack

Jack Watts?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guys on Talking Footy seem to think Jack Watts' future may lie outside of Victoria, particularly at a NSW or QLD club. As you guys are probably aware, Watts will become a free agent next year when he is out of contract. Would it be worth it to trade Watts at the end of this year? Surely they would want to avoid a Frawley-like situation eventuating so, if you have an inclining that he may want to leave, it's probably better to get maximum value for him at the end of this season. What do you guys think? GWS and Sydney probably don't need a Jack Watts type with all their KPPs but the Queensland clubs should have some interest. Maybe the Demons can get involved in a three-way trade given Brisbane are likely to lose Aish later this season.

The guys on Talking Footy seem to think Jack Watts' future may lie outside of Victoria, particularly at a NSW or QLD club. As you guys are probably aware, Watts will become a free agent next year when he is out of contract. Would it be worth it to trade Watts at the end of this year? Surely they would want to avoid a Frawley-like situation eventuating so, if you have an inclining that he may want to leave, it's probably better to get maximum value for him at the end of this season. What do you guys think? GWS and Sydney probably don't need a Jack Watts type with all their KPPs but the Queensland clubs should have some interest. Maybe the Demons can get involved in a three-way trade given Brisbane are likely to lose Aish later this season.

I'd send watts and a 2nd round pick North for aish no problems
Watts would be lucky to be worth a pick in the 20s though so we would probably be better off taking the FA compensation next year

I'd send watts and a 2nd round pick North for aish no problems
Watts would be lucky to be worth a pick in the 20s though so we would probably be better off taking the FA compensation next year
I suppose there are a few things to consider. If the AFLPA get their way by lowering the FA eligibility criteria by two years then Watts would become an unrestricted free agent and they are trying to abolish compensation for unrestricted free agents. Another issue may be a front loaded contract resulting in Watts becoming an unrestricted free agent but I doubt that. It really just depends on what you can get and whether you believe that will be better than compensation you could receive the following year, if he chooses to leave as a free agent. The dream situation for Melbourne is probably to organise a deal with the Crows in which they match whatever contract Dangerfield decides to submit and trade him to the Demons. That would probably require the Demons to send Watts to Brisbane and their first rounder to Adelaide but it'd be worth it if it resulted in Melbourne landing Dangerfield. Aish would obviously go to the Crows in that situation. That's the dream but rarely does anyone get to live out their dream.

So who else is off contract that is worth trading for? Sloane? Coniglio? Motlop?

Clearly our first pick will be on the table again as well as our second

Plus watts+howe+grimes and potentially toumpas

Unfortunately superstar players aren't picking us so I'm not sure will be available
Grimes is also a free agent next year but probably doesn't hold as much value at the trade table. What about Trengove? Wasn't Trengove to Richmond a done deal last year until he injured himself? We know Roosy has pleaded with the AFL to allow the trading of future draft picks so you would think the club is looking to get heavily involved in trading over the next two years.

Grimes is also a free agent next year but probably doesn't hold as much value at the trade table. What about Trengove? Wasn't Trengove to Richmond a done deal last year until he injured himself? We know Roosy has pleaded with the AFL to allow the trading of future draft picks so you would think the club is looking to get heavily involved in trading over the next two years.

Trengove has missed 2 consecutive seasons of footy, no one is putting an offer in for him

Grimes? Meh

God knows how many picks we would have offered for Dangerield if future picks were available

Trengove has missed 2 consecutive seasons of footy, no one is putting an offer in for him

Grimes? Meh

God knows how many picks we would have offered for Dangerield if future picks were available
I'm trying to find a positive for the MFC here but you're not making it easy. Anyway, back to Watts, with Gold Coast being a possible suitor later this year and a few whispers that Prestia may be interested in being traded to the Demons, I think it's the best Melbourne can really hope for, at this point. Watts won't be enough on his own but if someone at Melbourne can convince Prestia to request a trade then you might be able to get away with Watts + a second rounder.

I wouldnt be too worried about loosing Watts to FA, he seems a pretty loyal type.

If by the end of the year Roos wants to trade him hen obviously it suits us better to package him up and get a good player.

Article in the age this morning quoting Chris Pelchen saying Watts could attract and early second round pick and pending where we finish that could leave us with three picks in the top 25......I will say i've always had faith in Watts, supporters and haters have been over the top in criticizing him but he hasn't helped his cause with his lack of efforts. I am now all for trading him start afresh for both parties and partly for the general health and well being of Watts himself, moving to Sydney or QLD would be a good move.

I think a watts trade can be beneficial for all involved. For the club, for watts and for the sanity of the supporters. Unless something miraculous happens in the 2nd half of the year it might just be best if we all moved on

The compensation pick we'd get off the AFL would be greater than anything we could trade Jackie Boy for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think being the big banana is in Jack's best interest. Not sure he thrives on pressure.
In saying that with the 'rapid' development of Hogan this year, his game should've improved too...
I'd be more than happy to facilitate a trade to get Watts to GWS, if Melbourne want to trade him?

Hope you dont mind an outsiders POV.

I'd say the Lions and the swans would be the ones to go after him hardest. GWS and GC have both got too many talented/talls kids already in the NEAFL.

I think he definatley needs to get outta VIC to get the best outta him, and to a non-afl centric town, would most likely be best (i.e. no recognised on street etc).

Lions will have a preety good 2nd rounder this year 20ish to get this done. Swans would be more likely to offer a player (I am thinking a hard midfielder like Bird or potentially Zac Jones). I can see Roo's asking for mitchell with little luck.

Hope you dont mind an outsiders POV.

I'd say the Lions and the swans would be the ones to go after him hardest. GWS and GC have both got too many talented/talls kids already in the NEAFL.

I think he definatley needs to get outta VIC to get the best outta him, and to a non-afl centric town, would most likely be best (i.e. no recognised on street etc).

Lions will have a preety good 2nd rounder this year 20ish to get this done. Swans would be more likely to offer a player (I am thinking a hard midfielder like Bird or potentially Zac Jones). I can see Roo's asking for mitchell with little luck.
Jones is unlikely, he recently signed a new contract and we've got enough Bird-type players already.

Alright you're back in the team Jack, can I ask you to play like that cocky private school boy with a massive swagger you were drafted as instead of being the ghost of Cale Morton's footballing career for one week?

When he does play well (granted it's not too often) we look a better side but I have no idea what the point of one week in the VFL was.

Haha, how so?

Is he extended bench?
Robbo said he thought Jack had played his last game for the Dees before selection. Others said it would be wrong to select him this week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back