All things James Frawley - pick #3 compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

I feel for the you blokes, just hopefully with quality drafting you can turn it around.

And if we do, Hawthorn will be right there in 8 years time to cash in!

Do we know the contract on offer yet to him and if so, would it snag us pick 3?
Reckon it will come down to whether or not the AFL feels like throwing us a bone more than anything. They tend to make things up as they go along.

Nah, I reckon we won't get an artificial bump from the AFL to pick #3. It'll be whatever it comes out as, and if Clark moves for peanuts then we'll just beaver away with our less exciting batch of draft picks / trade bait.

The next item in the MFC Farce list, after us not getting a priority pick even though according to their own rules we should clearly have got one will be when they don't give us pick 3.

The other clubs should come out in support of what the Lions' CEO said and agree that "Frawley isn't worth pick 3.' The AFL will make another rule up on the spot and decide that they are right (because 'Hawks only got this for Franklin (although they will say 'Buddy' - I refuse to) and the Pies only got this for Beams blah blah). The AFL will cave to pressure and give us a pick in the second round so as not to disadvantage other clubs.

I know what their rule says, but that doesn't mean anything these days, clearly. It doesn't on the field and doesn't off the field.

Say Frawley leaves for 450-500k over 4-5 years then you should only get band 2, what do we expect for Higgins who will leave us for North on similar money but maybe 1 less year.

Remember you lot got double Band 1 from GWS for front loading Scullys contract, we lost a way way way way way better footballer in Callan Ward for only a Band 1 but Scully and Ward are on the same rate of pay of 800k a year every year after the first year. That extra pick you got from Scully netted Jesse Hogan, someone who would have been a top 3-4 pick in last years draft. We also lost Harbrow to Gold Coast who was put on 600k a year for 4 years for only an end of first rounder band which effectively is a second rounder in a compromised draft (pick 27/28 in 2010).

Most clubs towards the bottom would be outraged if Frawley was Band 1 at what should be a Band 2 rate as it would heavily affect the draft order of the top liners, in particular clubs who have not had access to top line key position talent as it was taken away from them because of the stupid Mini-Draft the last 2 seasons making 4 compromised drafts in a row, time to get better resources in Dees and more development put into the draftees/new recruits.

Say Frawley leaves for 450-500k over 4-5 years then you should only get band 2, what do we expect for Higgins who will leave us for North on similar money but maybe 1 less year.

Remember you lot got double Band 1 from GWS for front loading Scullys contract, we lost a way way way way way better footballer in Callan Ward for only a Band 1 but Scully and Ward are on the same rate of pay of 800k a year every year after the first year. That extra pick you got from Scully netted Jesse Hogan, someone who would have been a top 3-4 pick in last years draft. We also lost Harbrow to Gold Coast who was put on 600k a year for 4 years for only an end of first rounder band which effectively is a second rounder in a compromised draft (pick 27/28 in 2010).

Most clubs towards the bottom would be outraged if Frawley was Band 1 at what should be a Band 2 rate as it would heavily affect the draft order of the top liners, in particular clubs who have not had access to top line key position talent as it was taken away from them because of the stupid Mini-Draft the last 2 seasons making 4 compromised drafts in a row, time to get better resources in Dees and more development put into the draftees/new recruits.

The compensation rules were a bit different back then mate? Under FA 800k a season would definitely net you a first round compo.

Nah, I reckon we won't get an artificial bump from the AFL to pick #3. It'll be whatever it comes out as, and if Clark moves for peanuts then we'll just beaver away with our less exciting batch of draft picks / trade bait.
Compo is about the sum total of what you lose though, so if afl is merciful should factor in loss of Clark. That will get you to pick 3

The compensation rules were a bit different back then mate? Under FA 800k a season would definitely net you a first round compo.

It did for Ward and we used it on Jackson Macrae, Harbrow for 600k was only an end of first rounder and this is the range Frawley should go.

So how this has worked:
Melbourne have to meet salary cap. Pay Frawley early to do so.
Free agency comes in.
AFL decides that because we paid Frawley in advance before FA comes in he is now a UFA.
Hawthorn lowballs him as a result. He walks for finals.

We've been screwed if we don't get pick 3 and the deal is 450k. We would have matched that.

Equalization my arse.

Yes but if Frawley was a restricted free agent and we matched the offer. We would have to arrange a trade with Hawthorn who would probably end up screwing us as they are stingy at the trade table.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes but if Frawley was a restricted free agent and we matched the offer. We would have to arrange a trade with Hawthorn who would probably end up screwing us as they are stingy at the trade table.
450k a year? Keep him for crying out loud.

Yeah we know, but we are sick to death of hearing about it every 5 minutes, take your pissing and moaning to your own board

I can understand a guy wanting to go home as a reason, but simply trading over to the best club in the competition when the chips are down is a dog act. More reason to like guys like Jones
No disrespect to melbourne fans, but give the guy a break. He's had to endure 7 years of getting smacked every week, you really can't blame him for wanting to experience some success.

Why STILL the misconception re Scully compo ffs

Original draft position

Was nothing to do with front loading

Not our fault GWS offered a former # 1 pick who was 20 years old $6m over 6 years

No disrespect to melbourne fans, but give the guy a break. He's had to endure 7 years of getting smacked every week, you really can't blame him for wanting to experience some success.

He's also the bloke in the leadership group waiting for someone to drag us out of the rut instead of setting the example and leading the way

That's bullshit. When is he going to start taking responsibility for being a part of the problem. He sound s like a selfish campaigner to me.

He's also the bloke in the leadership group waiting for someone to drag us out of the rut instead of setting the example and leading the way
Yeah fair enough, I can just sympathise with him. Some players have that ability (Jones), some don't (Frawley).

That's bullshit. When is he going to start taking responsibility for being a part of the problem. He sound s like a selfish campaigner to me.
I think you're being pretty harsh mate.

Yeah fair enough, I can just sympathise with him. Some players have that ability (Jones), some don't (Frawley).

I think you're being pretty harsh mate.

Don't get me wrong, I do too to some extent, but he bleated this year about our rut and didn't show leadership to fix the problem

Then he fks off at first sniff to the flag winners

Excuse us for being jaded as fk

Don't get me wrong, I do too to some extent, but he bleated this year about our rut and didn't show leadership to fix the problem

Then he fks off at first sniff to the flag winners

Excuse us for being jaded as fk
Absolutely I understand and I admit I haven't really followed Frawley that closely.

From an outsiders perspective I just felt "a dog act" was a bit harsh.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back