All things James Frawley - pick #3 compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully Pick 3 comes from Chip leaving. If so, many thanks Chip for leaving - you are overrated anyway.

Probably have the unpopular opinion on this board but I have no problem with Chip leaving.

He should have the right to taste premiership glory instead of being imprisoned in a disgraced club who's culture has been shot to rabbles. If I was Chip and didn't support Melbourne as a kid, I would've done exactly the same thing.

It was obvious though how uninterested he was at playing for Melbourne anymore by his relatively lazy form from the past 2 seasons. Therefore, I think Roos moved him to the forward line so that we could re-build a back-line for the future. As a result we conceded around 30-40 less points on average per game than in 2013.

All the best Chip and thanks for your 8 years of service. However if you think that it is going to be that easy holding your spot in a premiership contending club just look at the likes of Colin Sylvia and Cale Morton and other ex-Melbourne players of recent seasons.
Understand this view but would add there are no success guarantees when you take up professional sport.
No one has the right to taste premiership glory, and it shouldn't ever be a given.
Players who have done the hard yards involving themselves in the self sacrifice and club culture at the club he goes to are being dudded by the system, as well as us.
He has done little to earn this right over the past seasons and didn't even appear to play for personal pride let alone for those looking to him to provide some on field leadership or love of the jumper.
He is nothing to us now.

Understand this view but would add there are no success guarantees when you take up professional sport.
No one has the right to taste premiership glory, and it shouldn't ever be a given.
Players who have done the hard yards involving themselves in the self sacrifice and club culture at the club he goes to are being dudded by the system, as well as us.
He has done little to earn this right over the past seasons and didn't even appear to play for personal pride let alone for those looking to him to provide some on field leadership or love of the jumper.
He is nothing to us now.
Absolutely agree there except for the no one has the right to taste premiership glory bit. I believe if you work hard for your success and help lead others at an exceptionally poor club, you more than deserve to have a chance at popping your premiership cherry eventually.

Eitherway, I think we can both agree that Chip has done anything but work hard and lead others after the days where he could chase down Lewis Jetta. I think that when he arrives at Hawthorn, Chip is going to be in for a rude awakening at how competitive it is to hold a spot in that team.

IMO it is a winning situation for us because we can clear out more of the 2007-2013 smut culture and start recruiting other key defenders who have experience participating in a winning team.

Also a bit off topic (well TBH way off topic), but is anyone getting to the point where if they read one more headline about the Essendon Drug Scandal that they will eventually scrunch up their fist and smash their computer screen? Seriously wish the AFL would consider placing sanctions against journalists who choose to keep reporting about it.

Good ********** riddance

Ill sign when roosy does
My blood is red and blue
I love this club

Heard it all before Chip

Absolutely agree there except for the no one has the right to taste premiership glory bit. I believe if you work hard for your success and help lead others at an exceptionally poor club, you more than deserve to have a chance at popping your premiership cherry eventually.

Eitherway, I think we can both agree that Chip has done anything but work hard and lead others after the days where he could chase down Lewis Jetta. I think that when he arrives at Hawthorn, Chip is going to be in for a rude awakening at how competitive it is to hold a spot in that team.

IMO it is a winning situation for us because we can clear out more of the 2007-2013 smut culture and start recruiting other key defenders who have experience participating in a winning team.

Also a bit off topic (well TBH way off topic), but is anyone getting to the point where if they read one more headline about the Essendon Drug Scandal that they will eventually scrunch up their fist and smash their computer screen? Seriously wish the AFL would consider placing sanctions against journalists who choose to keep reporting about it.
I agree with the essendon saga a complete beat up. As for frawley I don't care about him leaving, maybe because over the season it was so obvious it's softened the blow. So he doesn't want to be at a club trying to rebuild. I think after the first rebuild why would you stay for the second rebuild? Hopefully we use pick the wisely this time.

Most people now believe that Frawley will be heading to the hawks and will accept a 4 year contract worth 450 k per year. Doubt this is going to end well for you guys.

Most people now believe that Frawley will be heading to the hawks and will accept a 4 year contract worth 450 k per year. Doubt this is going to end well for you guys.

I thought Frawley said he was worth $800k a year! A rapid depreciation in value of spuds over the course of a few months.

No, that won't.

I thought Frawley said he was worth $800k a year! A rapid depreciation in value of spuds over the course of a few months.

His management may have said this but he didn't, but after what he has experienced in his first 8 years in footy I think the opportunity to go to hawks and most likely play in premierships will be too hard to knock back.

The next item in the MFC Farce list, after us not getting a priority pick even though according to their own rules we should clearly have got one will be when they don't give us pick 3.

The other clubs should come out in support of what the Lions' CEO said and agree that "Frawley isn't worth pick 3.' The AFL will make another rule up on the spot and decide that they are right (because 'Hawks only got this for Franklin (although they will say 'Buddy' - I refuse to) and the Pies only got this for Beams blah blah). The AFL will cave to pressure and give us a pick in the second round so as not to disadvantage other clubs.

I know what their rule says, but that doesn't mean anything these days, clearly. It doesn't on the field and doesn't off the field.

SEN1116 have just announced Frawley has chosen Hawthorn. For your guys sake I hope they are not paying him $450k per year as speculated in the last 24 hours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

totally..., did you see what we got for Buddy?....the system is a joke

Absoloutely it is, For pure value Buddy is worth 3 times more than Chip

But Id rather get ****ed over on your side of the ladder than ours, because you guys have the pull to attract someone like Chip, where as we are going to have get another B grade player and over pay him just to fill our cap

Melbourne really need to get out of this hole quickly. Look at Port Adelaide two years ago nobody would want to go there, now as free agency takes shape SA players with go home factor choose them over Adelaide. 2015 the club really need to show free agents that we are heading in the right direction

To be honest, I think this season validated the system.

We lost arguably our best player, but still won the premiership. We could cope with losing him, and therefore got pick 18.

Melbourne can't afford to keep loosing talent. They should receive Pick 3, because losing Frawley will hurt them more then us losing Franklin.

TBH, I was also supportive of Melbourne receiving a priority pick. If Melbourne can't receive a priority pick, then under what circumstance does a team deserve a priority pick. If the AFL are not going to give it to Melbourne, they should get rid of it all together.

Last edited:

We lost arguably our best player, but still won the premiership. We could cope with losing him, and therefore got pick 18.

Melbourne can't afford to keep loosing talent. They should receive Pick 3, because losing Frawley will hurt them more then us losing Franklin.

TBH, I was also supportive of Melbourne receiving a priority pick. If Melbourne can't receive a priority pick, then under what circumstance does a team deserve a priority pick. If the AFL are not going to give it to Melbourne, they should get rid of it all together.

Its also the same with Ablett when he left Geelong, they won the flag the next year
Problem is that a high draft pick is the only thing we can use to replace the talent void

Its not like we can take the 600k saved and offer it to Will Langford, Because there is no ******* way he would want to play for us

Um. There is a slight difference though. You just won a(nother) flag. We have effectively been wooden spooners for half a decade. You (reportedly) have 17 million members and Fort Knox at your disposal, we have a 30k members and make even less profit.

So refreshing to see an opposition supporter with that view. The view that actually wants to see the AFL stick to their own rules. There should have been no need to be 'supportive' of us receiving a priority pick or not. It was cut and dry according to their rules. I didn't even want it, but according to their rules, we should have had one. It's a circus

Remove this Banner Ad

Back