All things James Frawley - pick #3 compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney said Goodes, O'Keefe and Shaw were set to retire soon for Tippett and Buddy: surely the money is gonna go to Parker and the likes?

If we are likely to get an early compensation pick for him, I'd offer 2 years.

I we aren't likely to get an early compensation pick for him, I'd offer 4 with a 1 year, performance based option.

This is getting off topic, but I seriously question Roos' reasoning on that. Surely we should be putting the team first, and Frawley is definitely in our best 22. Would the players association have anything to say about that, I wonder? After all, I imagine he's contracted with the Melbourne Football Club, but I guess contracts don't actually have any sort of promise that you'll play football for the club, just be 'employed' by them.

Of course, you can make the argument that if we know he's gone, we're better off putting another player on the park who will be part of the future.

Tough one.

I'm with Roos. If they're confirmed as going and there's nothing to play for then give them a handshake and a hearty farewell then send them to Tahiti while we play somebody else who is either going to stick around or is playing to save themselves.

Knowing our luck they'd probably fine us for doing it.

I'm with Roos. If they're confirmed as going and there's nothing to play for then give them a handshake and a hearty farewell then send them to Tahiti while we play somebody else who is either going to stick around or is playing to save themselves.

Pretty sure Adelaide did this with Phil Davis and Bock when they were going to leave. Admittedly Davis was injured at the time he announced he was going to GWS, but I think he had to do his recovery work away from the club afterwards.

What if we were going to play finals?

What if we were going to play finals?

Frawley is gone wants 7 years and Melbourne will not give him 7 years. Really not such a big loss lets hope we get a mid first rounder and have picks say 4,8,22 we could do some good trading.....

Drop him to Casey now! His manager won't even sit down with Melbourne & see what we can offer him!
**** that! Stand up Melbourne **** him off, **** I'd even play Gawn before Frawley.

Yep, I'm over Frawley. He can G&GF. Should drop him and try other potential replacements now. The only reason Frawley will stay is if he can't get a fat contract somewhere else, and if that happens we don't want him. Piss off James.

I could buy the story that he's still a chance to stay if his management had at least bothered to listen to an offer from the club. He doesn't need to make a decision now, but he can at least listen to an offer from the club he currently plays with.

This whole 'I don't want to deal with it until season's end' is simply code for 'I'm out of here if I get a half decent offer from another club'. People can try to spin it other ways, but that's what it is. And he will get a decent offer (not 7 years) from a team in premiership contention, and he'll be gone. The cycle continues.

Goneski. Goneski. Goneski. Goneski.

Thanks for the service James. Take your helicopter punts elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney said Goodes, O'Keefe and Shaw were set to retire soon for Tippett and Buddy: surely the money is gonna go to Parker and the likes?

If they don't have the money to pay Parker what he's worth, I'd love us to make inquiries. If we'd had someone less boobish than Twitch in charge we might have tried poaching him a year or two ago.

I'd rather play him so we can maxamise his worth. We drop him we'll be lucky to get a third rounder.

We won't drop him, but only because we don't have anyone promising or competent to replace him. The cupboard is bare.

If he wants to go, fair enough, on your bike and at least get us a decent compo pick. He'll probably take a pay cut to go to Hawthorn or Geelong though and we'll get a 2nd rounder. Thought the whinge on the AFL site was a bit rich though - don't like the attention? Sign a contract.

I'd rather play him so we can maxamise his worth. We drop him we'll be lucky to get a third rounder.
How? He won't get a contract elswehere just based on the rest of his 2014. Teams know what he can do. If he gets a 7 year contract, we'll be getting a top 5 pick in return.

How? He won't get a contract elswehere just based on the rest of his 2014. Teams know what he can do. If he gets a 7 year contract, we'll be getting a top 5 pick in return.

True, but I can't see anyone thumbing up a 7 year contract based on his current output (if that's what he's asking for). A few big games before the end of the year might serve as a reminder of what he can do and tip a club into bidding for his services or topping up an offer, but I can't see him going out and kicking 4 or 5 goals... or even 3. If he goes, I don't think it'll be for the long contract or big money.

True, but I can't see anyone thumbing up a 7 year contract based on his current output (if that's what he's asking for). A few big games before the end of the year might serve as a reminder of what he can do and tip a club into bidding for his services or topping up an offer, but I can't see him going out and kicking 4 or 5 goals... or even 3. If he goes, I don't think it'll be for the long contract or big money.
Agree I don't think he'll get a 7 year deal, but he's 25, so a 4 or 5 year deal is very possible, which will maximise our compo. He'll get at least 500K/year too you'd think.

I don't like free agency, but Frawley has every right to hold off contract talks until the end of the season, I think this will become more common every year, so we better just get used to it. Keep in mind, a club can also hold off contract talks with a player until the end of a season, and often do, like we did last year with a few players. Maybe it will get to the end of the season and we won't even offer Frawley anything. Swings and roundabouts.

I love the angry assumptions that not chasing an offer from Melbourne yet means he's gone rather than he's testing his market value and will give Melbourne final right of reply. A few on here need to lay off the grog (or perhaps a couple more drinks) and relax.

Am I understanding this correctly?

I thought that contract length wasn't important for FA compo calcs? It was based more on the average annual salary to show true cost.
It's based on "The new contract of the free agent" (and the age), that would have to take into account the length as well as average salary you'd think. A player getting 500K for 2 years should get less compo than a player getting 500K for 6 years.

Last edited:
I love the angry assumptions that not chasing an offer from Melbourne yet means he's gone rather than he's testing his market value and will give Melbourne final right of reply. A few on here need to lay off the grog (or perhaps a couple more drinks) and relax.

Probably because the players who "test the market", leave contract talks until the end of the season, etc almost always leave.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back