All things James Frawley - pick #3 compensation

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks. Has Melbourne offered him a really good deal, or are they not too fussed to see him go?
He's had a deal on the table for months, but he's refused to even sit down and talk with us. That's why the talk has been totally about where he's pissing off to and what we'll get in return rather than whether he'll stay.

can someone sum up for me why he's really leaving? :)

Is it just money, or something else? Personality clash? Other? Both? All?

My suspicion is that the Dees tabled a fairly low offer, in the knowledge that we would receive pick 3 if he left.

I feel for the bloke to be honest. People are bagging him out - but if he stayed, they'd be the first to say that the club should have actively moved him on.

My suspicion is that the Dees tabled a fairly low offer, in the knowledge that we would receive pick 3 if he left.

I feel for the bloke to be honest. People are bagging him out - but if he stayed, they'd be the first to say that the club should have actively moved him on.

I have a very hard time believing that, Roos would very much want to keep Frawley.

I think we'd have put a decent offer in front of him even if for no other reason than to give him a leverage point in negotiations with other clubs. Pick #3 for Frawley would be a bit of a win for us, pick #20 wouldn't. I reckon the club would have tried pretty hard to get him to sign on the line that is dotted, particularly earlier in the year when it looked like we were aiming for heights significantly above 2nd last.

He was talking about how he was an unrestricted FA (meaning he can go for nothing) because of his front ended deal he signed a few years ago.

Well in that case Danny Frawley is a knobhead, I guess our LG Time Machine was in the repair shop that day, otherwise we would've gone into the future and planned for free agency. Regardless, even if Frawley was a restricted free agent we wouldn't be matching any offers to make him stay against his will anway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have no inside knowledge or anything - but if someone offered us the option of pick 3 for Frawley, or having Frawley on $500 over 4 years - I reckon Roos would take the former.
But we weren't guaranteed to get pick 3, I'd take Frawley the sure thing every time.

Still doesn't make sense to low ball him.

If he's going to fix this club and set it up for the future, he has to use draft picks. To bring experienced, talented players in, you have to pay overs. To get someone in the 22-25 bracket who fits the bill will cost us at least our first rounder and player(s) / pick(s) on top of that. Unless we draft some real talent, we're propping up the list instead of rebuilding it.

If he's going to fix this club and set it up for the future, he has to use draft picks. To bring experienced, talented players in, you have to pay overs. To get someone in the 22-25 bracket who fits the bill will cost us at least our first rounder and player(s) / pick(s) on top of that. Unless we draft some real talent, we're propping up the list instead of rebuilding it.

That or you poach homesick young players for very reasonable prices
Tyson, Ebert, Caddy, Gunston etc

The more I think about it the more I think giving up 2+3 for Dangerfield would be stupid
He is a very good player but he aint no Garry Ablett

One good player wont make any ******* difference next year, if we were fighting for the 8 then maybe but not where we are now

Clearly we wouldnt get him anyway but its stupid to even consider the Idea
We need talent everywhere, best place to get it elite is early in the draft

That or you poach homesick young players for very reasonable prices
Tyson, Ebert, Caddy, Gunston etc

The more I think about it the more I think giving up 2+3 for Dangerfield would be stupid
He is a very good player but he aint no Garry Ablett

One good player wont make any ******* difference next year, if we were fighting for the 8 then maybe but not where we are now

Clearly we wouldnt get him anyway but its stupid to even consider the Idea
We need talent everywhere, best place to get it elite is early in the draft

He actually would make a massive difference, takes a serious amount of pressure of Nathan Jones, Dom Tyson, Jack Trengove, Bernie Vince and Jack Viney.

I agree though there's no real point talking about it because it's never going to happen.

Dangerfield would make a fair old difference, immediately and for the next 5+ years. Brayshaw and Petracca would for the next 10+ years, after a bit of ramping up in their first few. Sounds like they're ready to go though, so elite talent stepping in from round 1 next year sounds too enticing to pass up to me. Probably St Kilda too. I don't think it's worth paying overs for Dangerfield given we're going to have a large gap in the list where all the 21-24 year old spuds of yesteryear used to be. We need good 18-20 year olds, and lots of them.

Dangerfield is explosive much in the Vein of Judd
His best will be behind him in 2-4 years, unless he can swap to being an elite inside player only like Judd then its really not worth giving up two potential 10 year players for

You're exaggerating quite a lot there, Dangerfield has a long time left at his best.

Also nobody is saying giving up two and three for him, even just 3 would be better than the compo they get for him so there would be no need to push it further with pick 2.

You're exaggerating quite a lot there, Dangerfield has a long time left at his best.

Also nobody is saying giving up two and three for him, even just 3 would be better than the compo they get for him so there would be no need to push it further with pick 2.
Yeah. Some of the deals being suggested are ridiculous overs for a player that's going to be a free agent in 12 months. We're definitely not going to give up two first round picks and Toumpas or anything like that.

Just scrolling through these pages on some of the finest flu medication available and I could swear I've read it

If your talking purely pick 3 for Dangerfield then id listen,

Remove this Banner Ad

Back