Sherrinator

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2004
SEQLD
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
BBFFC, Southport AFC
What about what happened at the Bulldogs? Wallace got a running jump out of them early doors and led them through a steady decline over the following seasons until he pulled the pin. Then he took over at the Tigers. Yes there are mitigating factors but a s**t coach is a s**t coach.

Voss is going to carry the can for that mental recruiting at Brisbane for quite some time. Adding Xavier Clarke, Amon Buchanan, Andrew Raines, etc for a tilt at the premiership? Want to gamble with your club and career on someone who had a lapse in judgment like that?

I think Ratten will get another go, and we could do a lot worse than get him in. Whether he wants to leave the Hawks or not is a different story.

Voss is a good coach. He never should have had the freedom to make all the calls regarding recruiting. Our club was (and still is) way Under resourced. Any club would do well to get Voss on board as an assistant at least.

I think he could extract the mongrel out of your mids.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Voss is a good coach. He never should have had the freedom to make all the calls regarding recruiting. Our club was (and still is) way Under resourced. Any club would do well to get Voss on board as an assistant at least.

I agree, I thought he was turning the ship around after his amazing early utensil up. He ended up getting hung over the recruiting and whatever it was that happened that ended up with the want-away kiddies. Second chances are hard to come by and he has those two things dangling over his head for any potential recruiters to think about. Obviously a clean slate and a bit of playing pedigree seems a more attractive option.

The stupid thing about it is that any person with half a brain will learn a lot from what they did or what went wrong, but it seems if you get burned once then you're pretty much done. Neeld will never coach in the AFL again. It was an amazingly spectacular failure not helped by all the contributing factors that made us the great shambles of a club we were (are?), but I didn't realize how much of a muppet he was until watching that round 2 Friday night game against Essendon and his "motivational" speech to the players.

Sherrinator

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 1, 2004
SEQLD
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
BBFFC, Southport AFC
I agree, I thought he was turning the ship around after his amazing early utensil up. He ended up getting hung over the recruiting and whatever it was that happened that ended up with the want-away kiddies. Second chances are hard to come by and he has those two things dangling over his head for any potential recruiters to think about. Obviously a clean slate and a bit of playing pedigree seems a more attractive option.

The stupid thing about it is that any person with half a brain will learn a lot from what they did or what went wrong, but it seems if you get burned once then you're pretty much done. Neeld will never coach in the AFL again. It was an amazingly spectacular failure not helped by all the contributing factors that made us the great shambles of a club we were (are?), but I didn't realize how much of a muppet he was until watching that round 2 Friday night game against Essendon and his "motivational" speech to the players.

Yes true. What Voss has compared to Neeld is his age and is capable of changing his coaching direction, which I think he was.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

I think he could extract the mongrel out of your mids.

If he can extract 1 iota of mongrel out of Jack Watts, then he can have the keys to the club!

Lethal44

All Australian
Jun 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
My money is on Ross Lyon to be the next coach of Melbourne, he went to Freo to win a flag, not to develop there next generation.

When the window closes on Freo, Lyon will jump ship, just like he did at St Kilda.

Am I the only one who is tired of Roos pulling out the "This club would have got flogged last year" line every week? Yes Roosy we understand, we were s**t and we've improved this year.

Stop reminding us of Neeld.

Yes, next year he won't be able to say that though!

MUYB

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
We all know how terrible the players were yesterday. I want to bring up how terrible the gameday coaching was.

GWS have 1 man on the bench at halftime. In the second half do we come out with a different game plan? No.

Do we play man to man forcing GWS to lead for all their marks? No

Do we move the ball quickly to run them off their feet defending? No

Utterly abysmal, as bad as anything Brad Scott has dished up on gameday.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Were they actually coaching though? Every time the coverage cut to the coaches box Roos and staff were sitting cadaverously still with the expression of sickly fascinated bystanders watching a well-stocked orphanage burn down.

wowlace

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2010
Kewarra Beach
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
This isn't Roos list bar a few imports which have actually turned out well (see Tyson, Vince). I'm glad Roos has signed up for the extra year. He'll need a few goes at the trade/draft before he has half a team that he would rate.

We all know how terrible the players were yesterday. I want to bring up how terrible the gameday coaching was.

GWS have 1 man on the bench at halftime. In the second half do we come out with a different game plan? No.

Do we play man to man forcing GWS to lead for all their marks? No

Do we move the ball quickly to run them off their feet defending? No

Utterly abysmal, as bad as anything Brad Scott has dished up on gameday.

You don't think Roos mentioned these things to the players?

No one took any responsibility on the field, not Roos' fault.

Major Colvin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 8, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
My money is on Ross Lyon to be the next coach of Melbourne, he went to Freo to win a flag, not to develop there next generation.

When the window closes on Freo, Lyon will jump ship, just like he did at St Kilda.

Got to be kidding me. I think Ross Lyon is a great footy coach but terrible in terms of development - look where the Saints are now (on par with us)

My brutally honest assessment about Roos before he came to us was, he is a bit of a megalomaniac. A bit sanctimonious too, at the Swans he liked to peddle to image of the blue-collar 'no d!ckheads' team - (as opposed to the talented, but value-less WCE). Yet he played guys like Barry Hall and Nick Davis (two of the biggest d!ckheads ever) until they were no longer flag threats. As for 'non-negotiables' I've not idea what the likes of Watts and Frawley are currently adhering to?

Then obviously his preaching on various Fox footy outlets about the "Swans-way" always annoyed me. To prove this is not partisan opinion - I worked with someone who witnessed Roos at a junior footy match carry on the entire game and give the umpired a serve afterwards.

Of course, when he took the Melbourne job I was happy to overlook this, and still am really. I wouldn't care if our coach had heads in his freezer if he delivered results. I'm sure the reason he took this job was partly due to his ego; if he could turn us around it would be the ultimate post script on his football career. I'm glad he had the confidence - I'm happy with what he has delivered for most of this year.

What I'm not happy about (and something Gary Lyon/other in the media have alluded to) is the distancing himself from the players and the club when performances go to sh!t. Fair enough, Round 2 against West Coast he's still finding his feet. But his comments after the Brisbane game were terrible - not constructive or useful. If you're effectively the spokesperson of any company, organization or business - you would never say "its been a hard year, gee the share price is down, worker morale is down too - maybe things wont get better?" - shareholders would dump stock immediately. And that's what I fear many MFC members in the wake of performance emanating from those comments, will do. In a round 21 game against GWS (with 3 on the bench) to lose by 10 goals is clearly on the players - but Roos has to wear it too. He won't. His ego is too strong

Having said this, I'm glad he's committed til 2016. I think this season will be a wake-up call that he's not the coaching genius he perhaps considered himself, and poor performances over the next couple of years will increasingly be on him too. I hope he's up to the challenge.

Last edited:
Looks like some of the talk of Roos having to accept some of the blame is getting through to the club.

"We as coaches take responsibility, there's absolutely no question. That's why you don't sleep after the game," Roos told Fox Footy on Monday.
"A lot of emotions and thoughts go through your head.
"I feel responsible for not just this year, but the past seven years. That's how attached you get to a footy club.
"I believe in the players more than the players believe in themselves."
Roos said there was "no question" he failed on Sunday.
"Absolutely. You feel helpless ... the only reason coaches exist is to make the players better and the team better," he said.

From here.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Looks like some of the talk of Roos having to accept some of the blame is getting through to the club.

From here.

I think he always has, He is just excellent at deflecting media attention away from him

We havent gotten anywhere near the heat we deserve

To further add to that, Look how much he still talked about the swans after he left, He was fiercely loyal
Now look at whats happened since they parted ways, rarely talks about them now

He is invested in Melbourne and he is working towards a plan
Maybe he is just weeding out the rest of the mentally weak players by seeing if they can stick to a plan even if it doesnt appear to be working
I have faith in Roosy, We are no doubt the bottom of the pile and I would love to see us try and kick more than a soccer score but I guess round 1 next year will be closer to the team he wants than this year

Last edited:
I think he always has, He is just excellent at deflecting media attention away from him

Bullshit, we have improved and been largely competitive. We've been in games at 3QT and beyond, rather than QT. Our biggest fault before Sunday was that we didn't know how to close out games.

Yeah, every AFL 360 after a bad performance he's taken responsibility for it - in the media conference no one asks him 'is it your fault?'...

Also, what's bloody funny in retrospect is that next season GWS will put a number of sides to the sword like that. It was a rare insight into their ridiculous potential thanks to a shocking performance against a side who has given up and thinks it's all to hard.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Bullshit, we have improved and been largely competitive. We've been in games at 3QT and beyond, rather than QT. Our biggest fault before Sunday was that we didn't know how to close out games.

We also have the lowest scoring season average now since 1920, thats about Wartime played in Mudpits with cigarrettes on the bench
The only reason our defence looks better is because we have completely closed the game down and not allowed the opposition enough time with the footy to score big

In soccer terms
Instead of losing 2-5 we are now losing 0-2 every week, we look more competitive and we have been but we are far from close to the finished product
In fact the 4 games that we have won the combined total of the opposition is like 35.66 so you can argue we have been fortunate enough the score was low enough for us to fall over the line

wowlace

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2010
Kewarra Beach
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
Well, it's good to know there will be some resolution to all this at the end of Roos tenure. If we are not pushing for finals at the end of 2016 we are finished, gone for good.

Back