AFL Club
Melbourne

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Bolton has certainly put his hat in the ring, should he be interested.

Coming from such a well coached club, he would bring more than most 'apprentices', you would think.

Absolutely. I'd be pretty happy for our next coach to have serious tutelage under Clarkson and Roos. Although, I wouldn't discount another Hawk assistant - Brett Ratten. Reckon he did a really good job at Carlton and now he's spent another couple of years under a fantastic coach in Clarko.

I am a bit skeptical over Bolton, although if Roos where to pick him than i would trust Roosy's judgement. Bolton has coached i think five games with a very talented list, it's like chris scott winning the premiership in his first year, need to keep in mind that Bolton can't be judged over the structures and the list Clarkson put in place.

At least with Brett Ratten he's coached a side before and i would be more than happy for Ratten to take the over after spending time out and learning a thing or two under Clarkson and Roos.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I am a bit skeptical over Bolton, although if Roos where to pick him than i would trust Roosy's judgement. Bolton has coached i think five games with a very talented list, it's like chris scott winning the premiership in his first year, need to keep in mind that Bolton can't be judged over the structures and the list Clarkson put in place.

At least with Brett Ratten he's coached a side before and i would be more than happy for Ratten to take the over after spending time out and learning a thing or two under Clarkson and Roos.

Fair point on Bolton picking up a 'finished product', but the fact is, he's been very central in creating that environment - its not like he's just come in from no-where for 5 weeks.

He's handled himself very well in the weeks he's had in charge as well.

Fair point on Bolton picking up a 'finished product', but the fact is, he's been very central in creating that environment - its not like he's just come in from no-where for 5 weeks.

He's handled himself very well in the weeks he's had in charge as well.

I wouldn't say that.

Clarkson, Dunstall, etc have been more influential - especially since Bolton arrived in 2011, well after Clarko started 'creating that environment' in 2005.

fesj6Rb.jpg

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I wouldn't say that.

Clarkson, Dunstall, etc have been more influential - especially since Bolton arrived in 2011, well after Clarko started 'creating that environment' in 2005.

So hes been there nearly 4 years - and given he was the man chosen to hold the reigns, I suspect he's well and truly involved in the direction of the footy department.

Anyway all I was getting at is that he's obviously a central figure down there, is well regarded and is tactically aware.

If Roos stays on in a management role, you'd think that Bolton has shown he fits many of the criteria that the club would be looking for.

Ive quite liked him in his pressers as well actually - he comes across well.

So hes been there nearly 4 years - and given he was the man chosen to hold the reigns, I suspect he's well and truly involved in the direction of the footy department.

Anyway all I was getting at is that he's obviously a central figure down there, is well regarded and is tactically aware.

If Roos stays on in a management role, you'd think that Bolton has shown he fits many of the criteria that the club would be looking for.

Ive quite liked him in his pressers as well actually - he comes across well.

If he won us games he could sing Tiny Tim for all I care.

AFL.com says we are going after Ling (as predicted) and now Hayes whom only just retired today
"Roos confirmed on Tuesday that the club would approach both Ling and Hayes about their interest in the job, but cautioned against either jumping straight into a senior coaching role."

Probably to soon for Hayes i would say, only just retired

Source:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-07-15/lenny-lingy-the-coaches

Oct 19, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
What's legality in getting contracted assistant coaches? Seeing as they'll be guaranteed a senior coaching role could they just leave their place at their club or does their club have to sign off on it?

I still think Ratten is the best candidate.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
What's legality in getting contracted assistant coaches? Seeing as they'll be guaranteed a senior coaching role could they just leave their place at their club or does their club have to sign off on it?

I still think Ratten is the best candidate.

It has to be a direct upgrade for them to break contract. We couldn't get Dew last year because whilst he would have EVENTUALLY been a senior coach, the initial contract wasn't an upgrade compared to his one at Sydney.

Oct 19, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
It has to be a direct upgrade for them to break contract. We couldn't get Dew last year because whilst he would have EVENTUALLY been a senior coach, the initial contract wasn't an upgrade compared to his one at Sydney.
Ah yeah i thought that was the case, but also thought it may have been more of a get f*ed from Sydney for trying to plunder their coaching staff. If that is the case does anyone know Ratten's contract status? Would he be allowed to leave Hawthorn to take up an "apprenticeship" under Roo's?

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
Ah yeah i thought that was the case, but also thought it may have been more of a get f*ed from Sydney for trying to plunder their coaching staff. If that is the case does anyone know Ratten's contract status? Would he be allowed to leave Hawthorn to take up an "apprenticeship" under Roo's?

Not until Hawthorn's season has finished as per the coaches association agreement I think.

thetank

Club Legend
Aug 1, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
So now...what has Cameron Ling shown to indicate that he would be a good HEAD COACH?

He was a good player, and he is ok on TV, but so what. He has ZERO experience in coaching...less coaching experience than even Mark Neeld and Dean Bailey. Do we really want to go down this path again, unproven senior coaches?

At least Neeld and Bailey were highly touted assistants under good senior coaches. Ling hasn't even done a spot of AFL coaching.

The Dr

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 20, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm still keen on Ratten or Bolton. However, if Roos thinks Ling or Hayes have 'got it' then I'd back him in to mould them into senior coaches - provided he takes on the extra year, so they have two seasons under him before they take the lead role.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think Ling shows huge leadership, astute tactical understanding, and is a proven performer in the media and under pressure - he has an aura and is proven in success. Just like Voss. I get the feeling he would be big on the defensive mantra that Roos preaches as well.

I would be more than happy with Ling at the Dees, but I would be cautious of anything less than a 3 or 4 year apprenticeship - particularly if it was only done at a single club.

I'd be happy with Ling if Roosy would stay on as a Director of Coaching for an extra 2-3 years after his 3 years are up, two years may be too soon for Lingy to go with no guidance.

Dew and Kirk are two guys I'm sure we're still going after, despite Kirk's ridiculous performances at Ch 7 I always found that when he was a player he was a great media performer.

Black Dynamite

Team Captain
Nov 26, 2011
Casey
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool FC , Boston Red Sox
Have heard that Roos would indeed stay on in a Director of Coaching capacity for a minimum of 3 years after he stands aside.
Confident that the right person gets the gig as I now have faith in those making the decisions.
I believe Ling or Hayes would only be considered if they were thought to be best suited, the same as anyone experienced.

I feel Roos being non committal on a third year hinges largely on who we get. If it's a Ling/Hayes type then 3rd year for sure(hopefully a 4th) Whereas if it's a Ratten/Voss type then 1 more year and over the reigns go. It makes my thoughts on who I want even more convoluted.....

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
I feel Roos being non committal on a third year hinges largely on who we get. If it's a Ling/Hayes type then 3rd year for sure(hopefully a 4th) Whereas if it's a Ratten/Voss type then 1 more year and over the reigns go. It makes my thoughts on who I want even more convoluted.....

This is very much my thoughts too. No point committing to an undetermined future.

I'm swinging more and more to the Ratten or Voss camp as well.. both were actually fairly reasonable performers with average sides and both will have benefited from their time as senior coaches..
Either of them and I'll be stoked to be honest.. I also agree with the thinking re Roos only signing on for a 3rd year if we have someone to replace him with very little experience.. If it's Voss or Ratten I think he'll become the director of coaching at the end of next year

Back