Toast All things Paul Roos + Coaching: McCartney joins coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if mark Harvey is interested? I was thinking about it and it's just a name that popped into my head.
That would be a large step backwards.

What struck me about his time at Freo, despite him not being a bad coach, is that he struggled to organise himself and structure the club like a good coach does. A bit like Bails.

What struck me about his time at Freo, despite him not being a bad coach, is that he struggled to organise himself and structure the club like a good coach does. A bit like Bails.

Terry Wallace?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who's left who is generally interested and will provide quality? I'm not sold on Voss. He polarises too many people. Has too much of a my way or the highway mentality. He's passionate and loves the game no question, and was one of the best players I've seen, but let's face it, he was awful as a coach. Ratten I believe is a very good assistant coach. I'm not sold on his match day skills or if he could buy into the defensive way Paul Roos wants us playing. Carlton were a very attacking team under Ratten and I'm not sure he can bring that defensive gameplan. Worsfold is an interesting one for me. Because he was a defender, I believe he has that mindset in him as a coach. And he was a very good coach for a long time. He'd have the respect no doubt from the players. Similarly laid back in a lot of ways like Roos.

Worsfold would be my choice atm. Ratten a distant second. Unless an assistant coach comes from left field, I'd be going with an experienced coach to sit under Roos for a year. Our last two coaches were very good assistant coaches at very good clubs, yet failed miserably. Hand the reigns over to someone who will have respect of the playing group, and has some runs on the board.

* Bomber Thompson would be as good if not a better choice, however, I'm not going to predict what the hell is happening at Essendon atm, so until he rids himself of those drug cheats, there's no point talking about him as an option...

Vossy does polarise but is a damn good coach nevertheless I reckon. Everything that's come out from Brisbane has been that the players were angry at how it was handled rather than happy. Furthermore they were close to making the 8 last year - now the list is battling and there are still major issues.

I think the issue he had was more that he had to learn on the job, literally. Vossy got thrown off the deep end with no assistant position before becoming senior coach and was given no support by the board. He's not going to go into that at Melbourne.

The Roos point made on Footy Classified was the key one. The crucial criteria is that whoever is chosen is happy to continue with the Roos gameplan (with minor tweaks at most), rather than start afresh.

Last thing the players need is another blank slate.

The Roos point made on Footy Classified was the key one. The crucial criteria is that whoever is chosen is happy to continue with the Roos gameplan (with minor tweaks at most), rather than start afresh.

Last thing the players need is another blank slate.

That was the main thing i took out of his interview too. Probably rules a few popular candidates out. Thompson would still be my dream option but Worsfold is someone who could very well be a very likely option. Also, Woosha ccould start early as he's not involved with an AFL club this year (that I know of).

He was a terrible coach, almost as bad as Hardwick, so uninventive and reactionary (if they bother to react at all)!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back