manboob

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts The Cult of Robbo
Feb 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
#rompingwins
Awesome news by the way! But I can't wait for the s**t storm when you make the 8 in his last season :D

Congrats for Roos for another year. I privately think he'll get you to finals next year, so to get another after that should be great for you guys.

On the succession plan... i notice a lot of people on here are throwing out former senior coaches, but i think the problem with that is they already have a gameplan, and its not the Roos gameplan. While i know people can adapt, i just can't see Rattan, Harvey, Voss etc... abandoning what they did as coaches.

I know you guys been poaching a few ex-swans, and maybe Dew is an option now that Roos has an extra year, but there are two other Swans options which could be interesting. Marty Mattner has been in the box with our coaches as a development/backline coach all year. Certainly knows Roos' gameplan, and has a desire to coach. The other is our reserves coach. Jarrad Crouch has been coaching the reserves with a similar gameplan as our seniors. Knows Roos, and a proven coach.

Not that i want to see more swans go, it just occurred to me that any of the Freo, Sydney or even old St Kilda coaches who worked with Roos/Lyon would be a good fit.

He was a terrible coach, almost as bad as Hardwick, so uninventive and reactionary (if they bother to react at all)!

Exactly. Freo had a fantastic list at the time which should have been top four throughout 2010/2011

This is very good for the club, where heading in the right direction and another year under Roos is good for the players as it will be for the assistant coach we get.
Speaking of which i heard in the sun today that Ratten said that he still has the passion for coaching, although also is contempt with the way things are as an assistant coach. A succession plan with a patient, yet ready Ratten sounds good to me.

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
Great news. I'm wondering if the announcement comes as they've ruled out ex-(senior)coaches taking on the succession role and either want extra time for an uncapped assistant to work under Roos or if they have an eye for chasing a current serving coach hard at the end of '16.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

wowlace

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2010
Kewarra Beach
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
I knew this would happen but, it is good to have it done sooner rather than later. Could help us with player recruitment.

RedLegs#5

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Socceroos,Wallabies, Glenn McGrath.
Great news, but news many expected. I for one never thought he he'd leave next year...he has too much class for that.

I don't expect finals next year...perhaps in 2016. We should definitely be aiming for finals in 2017. Let's not forget how far we've come back from. If he managed to get us into the 8 next year, he'd be beyond brilliant.

What we need to secure now is the successor coach. Look forward to seeing who they pick.

Last edited:

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
Not that it matters, but how much is he getting paid for Y3?

c3305497a908aed0e1792f5d6be8bb85b8878081952e9874ad45fe22692451d0.jpg

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
Awesome news with Roos signing on for a 3rd year, we have made some big improvements this year but still a long way to go being a more dangerous side to play against.

We really need action Jackson to stay around longer too, this bloke has arguably been a bigger player in our "revival" than Roos.

As for who we sign up as successor, either it be a former senior coach or rookie coach i am confident Roos will hand over 1000 times better side than he inherited. I'm leaning towards a previous senior coach to take the reins we can't afford to stuff up a coaching appointment again (in saying that a senior coach doesn't translate to guaranteed success). We have the right people in place to make the right decision.

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Awesome news with Roos signing on for a 3rd year, we have made some big improvements this year but still a long way to go being a more dangerous side to play against.

We really need action Jackson to stay around longer too, this bloke has arguably been a bigger player in our "revival" than Roos.

As for who we sign up as successor, either it be a former senior coach or rookie coach i am confident Roos will hand over 1000 times better side than he inherited. I'm leaning towards a previous senior coach to take the reins we can't afford to stuff up a coaching appointment again (in saying that a senior coach doesn't translate to guaranteed success). We have the right people in place to make the right decision.

tbh Jackson is a more important signing than Roos. He has done so much for us in a short space of time.

BETON5

All Australian
Dec 19, 2006
Demonland
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Storm
Yesssssssss!
Well what do ya know my money was spot on with Roos as he had already committed behind the scenes last month...... Just remember what ling wanted from Roos to commit to a senior assistant... He wanted 2 years under him.... Let's see how my mail goes now. Roos as coach I was correct, Roos committing to 3 years I was correct , ling to become assistant coach ...... Will know between grand final and draft day my mail is ling is as locked in bar signing paper, and last of all Mitch Clark returning possibly 2015 ....... I will know by October

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Well what do ya know my money was spot on with Roos as he had already committed behind the scenes last month...... Just remember what ling wanted from Roos to commit to a senior assistant... He wanted 2 years under him.... Let's see how my mail goes now. Roos as coach I was correct, Roos committing to 3 years I was correct , ling to become assistant coach ...... Will know between grand final and draft day my mail is ling is as locked in bar signing paper, and last of all Mitch Clark returning possibly 2015 ....... I will know by October

I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'm too scared to think about Clark returning as I could get my hopes up for nothing :(

MUYB

Club Legend
Apr 5, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think you're way off on Ling given his comments recently about his feelings toward coaching.

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
I think you're way off on Ling given his comments recently about his feelings toward coaching.

Do we all remember what Roos way saying about coaching before he came on board?

Could it all be a decoy to throw the hounds off the scent?

Back