Alternative ideas for introduction songs for the Melbourne Football Club in 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

So I'm sick of whatever that intro song is. The one with the guitar and the drums.

I've got some better ideas.

Radioactive - Imagine Dragons (club seems like it sometimes)
You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet - Bachman-Turner Overdrive (sure as hell can get worse)
We Didn't Start The Fire - Billy Joel (The Paul Roos Theme)
Sell Out - Reel Big Fish (dedicated to all the free agents, retirees and #1 draft picks out there)
Nobody Sees - Powderfinger (to the fans)

The song they do now I really like but it would suit better if we were good at football and/or an intimidating side. As it stands, it's kind of a mockery and It makes me feel like we're having the piss taken out of us before the game even starts (by ourselves)

I have a lot of respect for how Port Adelaide have rebuilt their club over the last couple of years. Not only on-field but in how they have managed to engage with their fan base aswel. To hear ‘Never tear us apart’ with thousands of screaming football fans beside you gets the hairs standing up on the back of your neck every time (I have been over to Adelaide Oval myself and witnessed this first-hand) and even as an opposition supporter you can’t help but get swept up in the moment.

I see no reason why we can’t have a similar thing at our home games, something that can really add to the game day experience (which I feel is sorely lacking at the moment - not helped by a feeling of utmost dread before the ball is even bounced). The song choice is vital though: it has to be something that can be chanted in a stadium like the MCG, it has to fit in with the history and vision of the club, it should have an Australian feel and most importantly, it should be a decent song!

With that being said, the song that I have in mind is ‘After all these years’ by Silverchair. Not one of their biggest hits by any stretch, and not as 'punchy' as an INXS track but I can’t help but think of the Melbourne football club when I hear it. It’s melancholy and reflective but also with a message of hope. It seems a good fit for a grand old club like ours and I can definitely imagine it being played before a game on a cold wintry Melbourne afternoon.

This line in particular seems quite appropriate for many dees fans:

And every father's pain Casts a shadow over a broken son
You'll be whole again
And I'll be whole again

Plus this line which could describe many of our players!

Playing like a scared Enthusiastic pawn

Anyway, not everyone's going to like my suggestion but the point is we should be thinking outside the box like Port have done and breathe some new life into our pre-match entertainment. Granted, it will mean a lot more when we start winning some bloody games.

Port brought in a few Liverpool people and are trying to emulate / copy everything Liverpool do (You'll Never Walk Alone, etc). It's very much inside the box thinking, but they're doing well out of it.

Just a systematic beating of that f***ing trumpeting kent before every game would get me pumped up.

I thought you'd cheer up a bit once we stopped losing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would cheer me up regardless of whether we ended up getting belted or not.
mcdowell.jpg

My idea would be to scrap it altogether.

Never been a fan- it just makes things feel like they're being dragged out and it's corny as hell. Opposition supporters chuckle at it and it doesn't appear to be firing up the playing group, so why bother?

I wish we could play up the whole demon thing. SEE YOU IN HELL would be a pretty menacing phrase to throw at opposition teams.

Pity in today's world we can't do anything to offend. I'm surprised we're even still allowed to be called the Demons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back