Live Event AMA: Transgender Player Kirsti Miller

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know if you realize this but our Prime Minister is a pretty staunch Catholic, the Stigma is more institutionalized than it is individually. To break down all the Holy Grails of the Church by chipping away at its constitutions and dogma surrounding what it deems normal is the ultimate goal of the agenda. I will let you work out the rest seeing you are supposedly a sharp tool.

Or, you know, people who are different due to factors objectively out of their control, that don't hurt anyone shouldn't be stigmatised and bullied consistently to the point of self harm and suicide.

Historically, we're barely out of the woods from thinking that sacrificing your child might have an effect on the weather. We've still got a ways to go in terms of not hurting ourselves or others over petty, stupid s**t and it has nothing to do with Abbott, Monsanto or the New World Order.

Yeah, all this stuff bothers me. Racial. LGBT. Its vilification because you are different. But because I am just normal, its all good to be called any number of racial slurs, any number of evil things.

Why on earth is you getting abused any different to the abuse and slurs I got thrown while playing competitive sports? Get up and get over it like everyone else. You dont hear me writing to my local paper and putting it up on social media because the opposing forward called me names and took a few swings at me...

Some people are just attention seekers.
You are a deadset uneducated, ignorant flog. So anyone who is of a different colour to you and doesn't identify as being straight is therefore ABNORMAL? Getting sledged on the field to put you off your game is completely different to receiving personal attacks from both players AND administration simply because of who you are. I don't feel sorry for you, I feel sorry for your children or future children spreading this totally unacceptable mindset you have.

Kirsti I am in total admiration of you for welcoming all these questions and really putting yourself out there to stand for your rights and to speak up for others who identify as LGBT. I am positive there are many current AFL players who also identify themselves as this at the moment but obviously we have yet to see anyone openly "come out" about it. What do you think the AFL needs to do to allow players to feel comfortable about coming out? Is there anything they can do? I think there are too many old conservative farts in the AFL media who wouldn't be accepting of it rather than the players themselves.

Moral outrage abound. I'm neither racist or against LGBT. But I just don't think they deserve special treatment above and beyond everyone else.

What makes you think your so bloody good by putting them up on a pedestal? Maybe take a look at yourself flog. I just want fair even treatment for everyone.

Simple narrow minded bandwagonner of the highest order

You are a deadset uneducated, ignorant flog. So anyone who is of a different colour to you and doesn't identify as being straight is therefore ABNORMAL?

Grow up. Some people much more educated than you would tell you that transgenderism is a mental illness and gender reassignment surgery is enabling that illness (not necessarily my opinion before you start).

Sure, it's sad that Kirsti was bullied and threatened, but not everybody's opinions and ideals have to align with your almighty ones.

Also, what on earth is AMA?

Yeah, all this stuff bothers me. Racial. LGBT. Its vilification because you are different. But because I am just normal, its all good to be called any number of racial slurs, any number of evil things.

Why on earth is you getting abused any different to the abuse and slurs I got thrown while playing competitive sports? Get up and get over it like everyone else. You dont hear me writing to my local paper and putting it up on social media because the opposing forward called me names and took a few swings at me...

Some people are just attention seekers.
Ever thought that bullying and harassment may not be on, regardless of whether someone fits your definition of 'normal' or not. This 'harden up' attitude in this country needs to be broken down, for the good of the mental health of all Australians.

Grow up. Some people much more educated than you would tell you that transgenderism is a mental illness and gender reassignment surgery is enabling that illness (not necessarily my opinion before you start).
What sort of comment is that? If that's not representative of your opinion why bring up such a hateful point of view that adds nothing to the conversation?

There still aren't any openly gay footballers having played in the AFL yet. I would imagine a transgender player is further away still. But I'd like to think there are lots of people out there who would happily support such players.
I'm surprised an ordinary/horrible player who is/has been delisted hasn't come out for the $$$$ they will receive from the interviews about it.

Thankyou so much for the many respectful and interesting questions, I will endeavour to respond to them as openly and honestly as I can. My first memories of being born in the wrong body were at 3 years of age and as a 50 year old person growing up in the 60, 70 and 80,s , was alot different than now, times have changed but acceptance of transgender people has not kept up with the times and people like myself face many challenges that others don't and I will try and cover some of these issues in this thread. I can see I have alot of work ahead of me to respond to the many questions that have been posted so far and I want to give each respectful question the time and respect that it deserves. If this thread can assist in achieving just a little more understanding and acceptance of trans people that would make me proud.

Thankyou so much for the many respectful and interesting questions, I will endeavour to respond to them as openly and honestly as I can. My first memories of being born in the wrong body were at 3 years of age and as a 50 year old person growing up in the 60, 70 and 80,s , was alot different than now, times have changed but acceptance of transgender people has not kept up with the times and people like myself face many challenges that others don't and I will try and cover some of these issues in this thread. I can see I have alot of work ahead of me to respond to the many questions that have been posted so far and I want to give each respectful question the time and respect that it deserves. If this thread can assist in achieving just a little more understanding and acceptance of trans people that would make me proud.
Is that your opinion or is that psychologically proven by an expert?

You are a deadset uneducated, ignorant flog. So anyone who is of a different colour to you and doesn't identify as being straight is therefore ABNORMAL? Getting sledged on the field to put you off your game is completely different to receiving personal attacks from both players AND administration simply because of who you are. I don't feel sorry for you, I feel sorry for your children or future children spreading this totally unacceptable mindset you have.

Kirsti I am in total admiration of you for welcoming all these questions and really putting yourself out there to stand for your rights and to speak up for others who identify as LGBT. I am positive there are many current AFL players who also identify themselves as this at the moment but obviously we have yet to see anyone openly "come out" about it. What do you think the AFL needs to do to allow players to feel comfortable about coming out? Is there anything they can do? I think there are too many old conservative farts in the AFL media who wouldn't be accepting of it rather than the players themselves.

He sort of has a point. Perhaps a poor choice of words, but being a straight white person puts you in the majority in Australia. It's the norm.

wow.. how old are you?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Moral outrage abound. I'm neither racist or against LGBT. But I just don't think they deserve special treatment above and beyond everyone else.

What makes you think your so bloody good by putting them up on a pedestal? Maybe take a look at yourself flog. I just want fair even treatment for everyone.

You group those that are racially or LGBT vilified as attention seekers and use the word "normal" to describe yourself - basically saying that those who are of a different race or sexuality to you are not "normal". Do you not see how wrong that is? This is not about special treatment or putting those who identify as LGBT on a "pedestal" this is about people who are unfairly discriminated against who are speaking up to allow for a better understanding among the community and to achieve equality.

Edit: I apologise for the attack on you and I shouldn't have been so harsh. This thread is about Kirsti so I'm happy to address this via PM if you like.

You group those that are racially or LGBT vilified as attention seekers and use the word "normal" to describe yourself - basically saying that those who are of a different race or sexuality to you are not "normal". Do you not see how wrong that is? This is not about special treatment or putting those who identify as LGBT on a "pedestal" this is about people who are unfairly discriminated against who are speaking up to allow for a better understanding among the community and to achieve equality.
I'm sure by normal he meant the most common demographic in Australian society ie straight Caucasian.

Kirsti, I must preface this question firstly by saying I have been closely following the trends for a long time in regards to how society is being socially engineered down a certain path of acceptance. I strongly believe after transgender has been normalized the "Furries" are next to put out there by the media as a recognized gender and be pushed to be accepted.

My question is this, did you feel vindicated by the whole Bruce Jenner coming out and have you become emboldened to stand up for your self more from a legalistic stand point ? There is I believe an end game to all this "Minority Acceptance" and you may not like where it ends up but good luck to you with it.
Thankyou Jack for your question, firstly I have never taken and legal action over this vilification incident and have never intended too. I have always insisted I wanted education and better support programs for transgender people. As for Caitlyn Jenner I applaud her courage for being her true self but I do not feel vindicated by her change. Being a person in the lime light like Caitlyn makes transitioning so much harder for her. My first day as my true self I was the Superintendent of the Broken Hill Correctional Centre, walking into that Prison as my true self took every bit of courage I had. I wish Caitlyn well in her transition as I know from personal experience, she has a hard road ahead of her.

You want fair and even treatment for everyone... That's good..

But if you think Kristi has receieved 'special treatment above and beyond everyone else' just to be able to play footy against other women, then I don't know what to say

Hi Kristi, do you think we'll see a transgender AFL footballer in the near future?
Thankyou borderline for your question, from my personal experience which is vindicated by the Stockholm Consensus, a transgender male to female person has no physical advantage over a genetically born female, my personal experience is that suppression then later on total loss of testosterone on top of estrogen treatment is a performance depressent so top line male to female trans athletes would be the a rarity. Trans athletes that meet the IOC criteria have been able to compete at all Olympic Games since Athens in 2004, to my knowledge I don't know of one transgender athlete that has even been selected to compete at an Olympic Games since the ruling in 2003.

Kristi, when playing sport have you noticed any resistance or uncomfortableness of any of your team mates surrounding locker room type stuff? Just in the crevices of internet discussion you can find certain attitudes regarding an uneasiness around trans women in changing room type situations, with people not being able to look past the sex that such women were born with. Just curious as to whether you've had many experiences involving that sort of thing.
Thankyou Daan fir your question, in my 16 years living as my true self I have never experienced a problem using the female rest or change rooms. I have a female partner and we both lead a very accepting life from the Broken Hill Community for every red neck in Broken Hill their are 10 people that accept people for who they are not what they are. This vilification incident has enabled a paradigm shift in attitudes to take place in the Silver City, I suggest Broken Hill would be better to be called the Rainbow City as acceptance of people of difference has taken a massive shift in the last two years. I get miners, ex inmates, footy players, bikers show their support to myself on a daily basis.

Proud of you kirsti
I am proud of people like yourself Young Gun and other people that judge people for who not what they are. I would rather anyone with anger and hate for transgender people to take it out on me not others in a less stable time of their lives. Anyone's brother, sister, mum, dad, son or daughter could be transgender, if I can educate the uneducated and gain more acceptance and tolerance fir people of difference my life would have worth living. I have lost to many transgender friends to self harm one recently a beautiful teenage girl who died for being brave living her life as her true self, RIP Leela.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back