Amazing coincidences in football

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon it was probably this time last year that I was bored shitless, Coincidently I feel the same now. Bring on the season!!!

The Brisbane Bears played North Melbourne in their first ever game in Round 1, 1987, and played the Kangaroos again in their last ever game, the 1996 Preliminary Final.

One from years ago - Richmond were the first and last team to lose to University. The Tigers, like University making their VFL debut in 1908, lost to the Students in a high-scoring (for the era) match 14.10-94 to 12.4-76 in Round 2 of that season. University's last ever win in the VFL was in Round 3 1912, against Richmond at the MCG.

The Bulldogs repeated their winning 1954 Grand Final score 15-12-102 to 7.9-51 against Melbourne at the MCG in 1977. Sadly for the Bulldogs, unlike 23 years earlier this victory over the Demons did not win them the 1977 premiership.

In 1992, the West Coast Eagles (AFL), Sandringham Zebras (VFL), Port Adelaide Magpies (SANFL) and East Fremantle Sharks (WAFL) were all premiers in the four major leagues of Australia. Two years later, these same four teams all took out the 1994 premierships.

Yes, and Collingwood were beaten pretty badly by the Geelong Cats. Thirty years earlier, the Magpies also lost the 1981 Grand Final to the Blues, the year Prince Charles married Diana Spencer.

Carlton seem to like Royal Wedding years; they also won in 1947, when the Queen married Prince Phillip.

North Melbourne seem to win premierships when the Liberals win in Federal Politics. In 1975, North won its first flag when Malcolm Fraser became PM after the dismissal of the Whitlam Government. The Kangaroos won again in 1977 when the Fraser Government won the election, then again in 1996 when John Howard and the Liberals won power. They also won in 1999, which was originally the date for the next election, which was held in 1998 after a double dissolution.
I can't tell you how conflicted that makes me.

In his first season for Brisbane in 2009, Daniel Rich finished 9th for average kicks per game, 9th for average disposals, and 9th for average SC score.
So if Rich is ninth, then Rich-mond = ????

(Hint: in 2008 when Rich was drafted, Richmond finished ninth)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Coast played their first game in 1997 against the new side Port Adelaide at Subi & won by 18 points.

West Coast played their first game against the new gold coast in 2011 at Pattersons & won by 18 points.

Not same sides, obviously, but our 1st games against the new sides at the same ground 14 years apart and to win by the same amount. Especially as west coast were 6 goals up after about 10 minutes in the gold coast game.

In 2012 Hawks beat Adelaide by 5 points
In 2013 Hawks beat Geelong by 5 points
In 2014 Hawks beat Port by 3 points

5 + 5 + 3 is 13

Hawks went on to lose the gf only one of those 3 years

13 - 1 is 12

Hawks have won 12 premierships in their history

Illuminati confirmed

Last edited:
In 2012 Hawks beat Adelaide by 5 points
In 2013 Hawks beat Geelong by 5 points
Plus 2011 Hawks lost to the Pies by 3 points and 2014 Hawks beat Port by 3 points.

Four straight prelims by less than a goal. Heart attack material! :eek:

Yes, and Collingwood were beaten pretty badly by the Geelong Cats. Thirty years earlier, the Magpies also lost the 1981 Grand Final to the Blues, the year Prince Charles married Diana Spencer.

Note: it isn't that spectacular to link events to Collingwood losing a GF that year... (sorry, couldn't help it).

Otherwise, awesome thread. Great idea. Great responses!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back