Mod. Notice American Football Board Feedback/Suggestions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
I would like to get some feedback and suggestions from everyone about this board.

This thread will be open for about 7-14 days, after which it will be locked for admin to peruse. Keep the personal abuse out of here, just be constructive.

What you think of the moderation on this board? And any suggestions for improvement?
What you think of the board generally? And any suggestions for improvement?
What you think of the competitions and activities? And any suggestions for improvement?
Any other ingenious/left-field ideas to improve the board, social media, sponsorships, etc?
Etc

There really needs to be a sub-forum for all the fantasy football threads.

Potentially team threads too.

Quoting an article really should include a link to the article as well. Hell a lot of difference between a NYT article versus the Bumfick Tennessee Explorer.

Potentially team threads too.

Quoting an article really should include a link to the article as well. Hell a lot of difference between a NYT article versus the Bumfick Tennessee Explorer.

Nah, team threads have their place, as they are on-topic football discussion.

Fantasy football is a different kettle of fish. I LOVE fantasy football, but it feels like there's 10 different leagues with draft threads cluttering the board at the moment.

Like Moo said, I come here for AE and for Fantasy Football comps, and hang around for the banter in season. Would love for all of the Fantasy Football comps to be put into one Sub-Forum, and reckon that AE could go into it's own Sub-Forum too.

Other than that, happy with this joint!

Came to the board a bit over 12 months ago thinking i would have a quick look.....now hooked. Joined a fantasy league, played AE, got involved in the chat, improved my NFL knowledge immeasurably and continue to enjoy every aspect of the board. Keep up the good work !!

Just reiterating what I said on the AE thread. It might be a useful suggestion to admin that if people post in an AE thread to say that they are playing then before the cut off date everyone who replied is notified to say that the cut off date is coming up.

The winner of the mock draft should take the superbowl winner from the following season.
Mods and board seem to work well. Doesn't seem to be much aggro.
It's easier to do well from pick 32 as you tend to get people falling, whereas pick 1 the best you can do is break even

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I absolutely support a sub-board for fantasy. I don't know why the sub-boards were done away with - I think that only happened last off-season didn't it?

Even as someone involved in a couple of the fantasy comps I find them annoying. If I wasn't involved? I think all the fantasy stuff would be a huge turn off to visiting the American Football board.

Other than that though, it's the best moderated part of BF that I visit - although in fairness I only visit about 4 different boards now, and none of them are AFL related... I suspect that's probably where the trouble happens!

1) I'd like it to be a papermate free zone (I don't like stupidity)
2) I'd like a sub-board for non-American football. When I say that, I mean is. Team threads, NCAA and NFL stay on the main board. Fantasy, Gaming, AE* and Other** go to the subboard. *Except the recruitment thread which needs that extra traffic in August. **Actually unsure on that. Depends on the thread.
3) For all eyes but Chad,
Red****s is added to the swearfilter and comes out as Washington.

Like Moo said, I come here for AE and for Fantasy Football comps, and hang around for the banter in season. Would love for all of the Fantasy Football comps to be put into one Sub-Forum, and reckon that AE could go into it's own Sub-Forum too.

Other than that, happy with this joint!

Sorta disagree with moving the main AE thread.

The main AE thread should remain on the main board as it is a part of the board culture. New people can see how popular it is and get hyped to be involved in the future years. Maybe move all the discussion to the fantasy board to keep track of it all (More or less to keep a record of the Quality of Life changes that everyone seems to forget).

Would love to bring the fantasy board back, I hate the tag system and never use it. Sure there are a few like myself that don't use it either.

Less stickies - don't think the honour board or instructions are relevant.

Maybe a board for new people to the NFL. Instead of just having the two threads, we can present a lot more information throughout a whole board with more relevant information. There is a lot more to following the NFL in regards to just picking a team (and personally just picking a team is by far the worse way to start following a sport).

I'm against to migrating other forms of American Football to other boards if we bring them back. I don't want to spread ourselves out too thin. I don't think there is enough interest in NCAA at this stage to warrant it but I could be proven wrong.

Moving Team threads is a decent idea but I would be concerned with a lack of content on the main board if we move them as well. Sometimes those team boards could be a treasure cove of conversation.

Maybe we should go younger and more unpredictable with our mods to imitate the AFL board by modding Riggy. All conflict would cease to be honest.

We did have a sub board for Fantasy threads going back a season or 3. Pretty sure the ability to Tag threads was the reason it was done away with. Didn't like it originally, but have gotten used to it now.
We went from trialing to "Screw you guys we are going ahead with it".
I remember all too well. On the plus side all the fantasy posts are considered as actual posts now.

I would like to get some feedback and suggestions from everyone about this board.

This thread will be open for about 7-14 days, after which it will be locked for admin to peruse. Keep the personal abuse out of here, just be constructive.

What you think of the moderation on this board? And any suggestions for improvement?
What you think of the board generally? And any suggestions for improvement?
What you think of the competitions and activities? And any suggestions for improvement?
Any other ingenious/left-field ideas to improve the board, social media, sponsorships, etc?
Etc
Actually noticed this post and just going to answer the questions.

Moderation on this board: GG is a role model. He is fair and with minimal bias in his decision making although he does get peed off with the trouble makers trying to push the boundaries, reinvent the rules or go over his head. He puts a s**t load of effort into this board by migrating posts to clean everything up, put tags on everything and running competitions. One of the most unappreciated tasks he does is reading every post and liking the occasional post to make posters feel their contributions are welcome. He negotiates all the board politics, handles conflicts fairly and tries to improve the board on a regular basis. As a regular on this board I have only had one issue with him in five years and that was on another site with their fair share of jackasses causing trouble. He goes above and beyond by helping anyone in trouble. He contributes to discussion with interesting points and does present some thought provoking topics. He does listen to constructive feedback and doesn't rule the board with an iron fist but allows the community to mold it. He is a very passive mod by giving all posters some leeway which does minimize the arguments and allow things to develop naturally.

Improvements to mod: GG is a great mod however I don't know how he does it being so active all the time. He is great by himself however there may come the time he needs a mod to assist him if he were to take a break or go on holidays however we do have a few active mods from other boards. Really up to GG on how he should improve it.

Views on the board: I want to see this board as a place where Australians can discuss the NFL and outsiders be shocked on our knowledge of the NFL. The discussion of the games, players, teams and issues in the NFL should always come first. Most veterans respect that and do try to present a view however sometimes it does turn into petty name calling (big offender here). The board does have a culture of participating in competitions and banter through the competitions administered by Woodson and GG. We do have a podcast as well which is really well done which is a quality listen. I think the board is fine as it is but I would be open to improvements.

Improvements to board: I would love to see a board dedicated to newbies picking up the game. It's a complex game which I feel numerous threads where we can give more direct information to a person would be suitable without it all being hidden in the one thread. Moving a majority of fantasy football threads to it's own board could be beneficial however some of the banter in the main competitions with the most entries (the ones with no player limits on joining) does have great banter and is a part of the board for me.

Views on competitions: Competitions are great as it is. They are all poster run except a few by GG because they are something we want to do. I wouldn't go adding competitions willy nilly for the sake of it.

Improvements: Could look at a forum wide tipping competition - The NFL season is literally the opposite to the AFL season which means there is always a competition to participate in. I would like to see another fantasy football league that doesn't carry over from season to season everyone can join but if I want it badly enough i could administer it instead of sitting around crying for it. No to any Madden leagues please, they are always a disaster.

Weird ideas to improve it
Voice Channel for live drafting
Sponsored by a place selling American Sport merchandise, 7mate or Foxtel
News board for the top 5 topics of the day just to keep up to date (always something going on in the NFL).

For me personally I started watching the game 3-4 years ago, read Football for Dummies last year and watch all weekend, when life doesn't interfere. Id love a thread for stupid questions. I have many stupid questions that come to me at random times that my Football for Dummies bible doesn't always cover. There are some good minds on here that I'd like to pick without cluttering other threads.

For me personally I started watching the game 3-4 years ago, read Football for Dummies last year and watch all weekend, when life doesn't interfere. Id love a thread for stupid questions. I have many stupid questions that come to me at random times that my Football for Dummies bible doesn't always cover. There are some good minds on here that I'd like to pick without cluttering other threads.
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/new-to-nfl-please-explain.534093/

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/understanding-american-football.733049/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back