American New to Footy

Remove this Banner Ad

Drewlyurs

Draftee
Jun 4, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hey guys! I am from the US and have fallin in love with the sport!! I was up sick a few weeks around 3am and was flipping through the channel and stopped on a match. I ended up watching the entire game and since then i have tried to keep up with it the most i can. I am not sure who to support but one of the teams that were playing was Collingwood so its the only team i know. I guess one question I have is who should i support if I have no contacts or loyalty to any part of Australia. The only thing i have is Crocodile Dundee is one of my Favorite movies of all time ahaha! Another question is where can i find good prices on footies?? I would love to have a ball to kick around but They are expensive but then add the shipping to the US and it is VERY expensive. Does anyone on here want to Donate an Old footy they may have to an american who loves the sport???? Thanks for the input, look forward to following the sport more this season!

Hey guys! I am from the US and have fallin in love with the sport!! I was up sick a few weeks around 3am and was flipping through the channel and stopped on a match. I ended up watching the entire game and since then i have tried to keep up with it the most i can. I am not sure who to support but one of the teams that were playing was Collingwood so its the only team i know. I guess one question I have is who should i support if I have no contacts or loyalty to any part of Australia. The only thing i have is Crocodile Dundee is one of my Favorite movies of all time ahaha! Another question is where can i find good prices on footies?? I would love to have a ball to kick around but They are expensive but then add the shipping to the US and it is VERY expensive. Does anyone on here want to Donate an Old footy they may have to an american who loves the sport???? Thanks for the input, look forward to following the sport more this season!
G'day Drew.

Barrack for who you like mate. Collingwood are a good club to follow as they are always near the finals or in it. Well run club and get the biggest crowds where ever they go. However, they are probably the most hated club by rival fans. Success always brings a bit of Jealousy..

As for cheap footys. Have a look at Amart all sports. Sherrins come in a variety of adult sized models, (there are kids sizes as well. U12s size 3, u14, size 4) Im pretty sure you will find adult Sherrin Lyrebird footys are about $30AUD ($20US?). Don't know what the postage is. Make sure its leather not synthetic though. It will say on the add.

Here; http://www.amartsports.com.au/store...ummaryViewsWeighted,-ProductSummaryViewsTotal

Last edited:
Hi Drew,
For who to follow/barack for/root for (giggle) - Maybe compare your hometown to proximity with the small aussie rules teams in the USA: https://usafl.com/findateam
Many use nicknames from the AFL if not having direct affiliations, that might help with an allegiance.

Re footies, contact a club local to you per the above, or nab one from the USAFL store: https://usafl.com/catalog

- Mobbs

...Collingwood are a good club to follow...

Wash your mouth out!!!

Hi Drew,
For who to follow/barack for/root for (giggle) - Maybe compare your hometown to proximity with the small aussie rules teams in the USA: https://usafl.com/findateam
Many use nicknames from the AFL if not having direct affiliations, that might help with an allegiance.

Re footies, contact a club local to you per the above, or nab one from the USAFL store: https://usafl.com/catalog

- Mobbs

Sage advice here ^

Read them all, then follow the Swans.
Best Club in the comp bar none!!
(HAI Mobbs :D)

Typically I see those that are new to the sport jump on to one of the newer expansion sides.

The Greater Western Sydney Giants and Gold Coast Suns have only been in the game for 3 and 4 years respectively. Fremantle are another good one, they've been around a bit longer and like they could be on their way to their first premiership this year.

Or you could just go for Essendon, 16 premierships and all ;)

Hey Mate

Welcome to our great game! I hope it gives you as much pleasure and pain as it does to all of us on here! Search the boards and get involved, I look forward to seeing you around the threads. :thumbsu:

As mentioned above. Compare your locale to the closest available teams and pick whichever peaks your fancy. If you're still stuck may I suggest the best interstate team in the comp, the mighty West Coast Eagles are worth a look. ;)

. I am not sure who to support but one of the teams that were playing was Collingwood so its the only team i know. I guess one question I have is who should i support if I have no contacts or loyalty to any part of Australia.

One of the new teams Gold Coast Suns or GWS

Hey guys, thanks for the input! I have taken all these things into account and have decided to just watch what games I can watch here in america and continue to watch highlights/videos on youtube. Maybe after this season i will have a team to support. There is a local team here in the USAFL that i plan on going to my first kick around next week. Im excited and nervous. I played College soccer so hopefully i can pick it up pretty well. The team is based off of the Richmond Tigers. I would support the Richmond Tigers but there is a town called Richmond here in my State of North Carolina and that was were one of my crazy ex-girlfriend is from. Cant stand that town LOL!

Anyway guys right now I am really liking Fremantle! Dig their song, and Nathan Fyfe is a monster! Although they did lose today he had an amazing mark in the game.

Forget that bitch, Go the tigers mate, decades of dominance coming our way very soon. I'm not sure of your knowledge but collingwood has an american, Mason Cox, an aspiring ruckman in their ranks. Kangaroos also have one. Eric Wallice but will probably never play a game in the seniors. America is the new Ireland (gaelic? football, similar) for scouting new players. Seem to be after very tall, athletic types that didn't quite make their preferred sport, NFL, NBA. Obviously biased but the most entertaining, exciting sport to watch and play in the world. Will take over that crap they call soccer one day.(not)

Go for the Crows, we're dominant....lol but seriously

You should watch a few games of all teams in a round and make a decision that way. You can feel that connection when you watch 'that' team play for the first time and you already know that is the team you want to follow.

I did this during 2004 Superbowl with the Patriots. It was my first ever NFL match that I watched and had no idea what was going on, who was who, what was what or knew what the game was about nor the teams. But I looked at the Patriots and felt a burning desire to see them succeed and decided to go for them at the start of the match. I never turned back since that day and now I'm a Patriots member.

Anyway, watch a few games and make a decision not so much on who is dominating the league (Fremantle) or the era (Hawthorn) or all time (Essendon), but one that you feel an instant connection with and will go high and low to support. Crows, St.Kilda, Brisbane, Richmond....whatever, Pick a team your heart calls for.

Welcome to the greatest game of all!

People will tell you not to go for Collingwood, mostly because they have the most supporters already, and they had a reputation back in the day of being thugs and our version of hicks. Their greatest skill as a club though, is getting into the Grand Final (our Super Bowl), in order to lose it.

These days, as long as you avoid Essendon and Carlton you'll go alright.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Welcome to the sport mate!
Nothing better than finding a new passion!
Feel free to PM any of us if you have rules questions etc.
Most people on here are enthustiastic and happy to help :)

Welcome aboard the Magpies mate (should you choose to stay with us, if not, welcome to whichever team you do wind up with!)
We are that team, you know the one. The one everyone loves to hate. We are, as stated, very good at losing the Grand Final (we've done it 26 times!) but we've also won 15 of them, most recently in 2010.
Personally, my only experience of picking teams in other sports has been from friends and family influencing me or through local affiliate teams - although you may also want to consider colours of other teams you support. This isn't foolproof though - even as a Bruins man I could not in good conscience recommend as a consequence that anyone support Richmond :p

Perhaps a small chance that you were born in the same year as the foundation of a few clubs:

1986 West Coast Eagles
1990 Adelaide Crows
1994 Fremantle Dockers
1996 Brisbane Lions
1997 Port Power

Could also maybe compare the location of the AFL clubs to where you're based in the U.S. geographically?

j73fr9.jpg

48187702449466551.png

Perhaps a small chance that you were born in the same year as the foundation of a few clubs:

1986 West Coast Eagles
1990 Adelaide Crows
1994 Fremantle Dockers
1996 Brisbane Lions
1997 Port Power

Could also maybe compare the location of the AFL clubs to where you're based in the U.S. geographically?

j73fr9.jpg

48187702449466551.png

Why isn't Hawthorn in Tassie?

Welcome aboard Drew.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back