amos rates round five

Remove this Banner Ad

57 - Safety Bay Stormers - Brent Stanton (Essendon) – Has been on my list before and he’s pretty frustrating. Can smash out some massive numbers but the week you really need him, he’ll spud it up. A lot of backs were starting to go at this point and I would have been more inclined to go for a more consistent one.

58 - Draconian Knights – Grant Birchall (Hawthorn) – So often Hawthorn’s outlet from defence. He’ll put in the odd shocker when tagged, but in all honesty, there’s bigger priorities to tag at Hawthorn than Birchall. A lovely selection.

59 - South West Dragons - Kade Simpson (Carlton) – Was supposed to be All Australian Back last season but Pie counted the “times in LFFL team of the week” wrong, amos didn’t complain, and Kade went on with life one honour unrecognised. A very good pick. He’s one that seems to drop every year in the draft but is the consummate LFFL backman. When I think of cheap junk time marks, I think of Carlton’s number 6. Good get.

60 - The Meerkats - Lachie Whitfield (GWS) – Really like this pick. He played some really big games last year and looks suited to the LFFL backman’s role. Consistency isn’t going to match that of the aforementioned two backs, but I’d rather have a crack at Whitfield than somebody like Stants. Could be a real round five find here.

61 - American Rednecks - Bernie Vince (Melbourne) – Demons growing midfield talent could see some more outside numbers for Bernie while remaining a key clearance player. Good pick.

62 - The Super Troopers - David Zaharakis (Essendon) – Another solid pick. I remember watching him carve up the Mozzies last season and bemoaning not drafting him. I love these types that can plug holes anywhere.

63 - Classy Gentlemen - James Frawley (Hawthorn) – Interesting, but don’t like it. Might get a spike in marks but heaps better choices here. Would have lasted another five rounds.

64 - Mozzie Bites - Ben Howlett (Essendon) – The more seasoned LFFL managers would have taken him knowing the importance of a tackler, but if the game were full of first year coaches, I reckon he would have lasted another round. Made public his love of Hird, and played well under him so could be a game winning pick.

65 - The Ladyboys - Lachie Neale (Fremantle) – I’ve loved Neale for a long time. He’s one of those magnets that you hope no one knows about and can snare late. We had him in 2012 and he was in my thinking when I was considering proposing a rule that’d allow you to carry guys that might only play half a dozen games and don’t produce anything at that point that’s statistically relevant. Great selection.

66 - The Cheetahs - Craig Bird (Sydney) – Don’t like it. Have been waiting for him to break out for years. I’m resigned to the fact it wont happen. Would have got picked up on name soonish anyway, but doesnt bring anything dangerous to the table.

67 - City Oval Plovers - Matthew Boyd (Western Bulldogs) – Solid pick that will stay within arms distance of the better opponents in clearances, but it’s the backman role Id be looking at with Wallis probably moving in a bit more to help Libba extract the pill. A former Mozzie Bite backman so Ill give it my royal pass.

68 - South-Eastern Polar Bears - Matthew Stokes (Geelong) – A nice no frills type backman/CC choice this late. Savvy drafting.

69 - The Repeaters* - Nick Malceski (Gold Coast) – Will be interesting to see how easy he gets it at GC. In a round where backmen have taken probably nine selections, it’s gotta be considered a pass mark to have Malceski still available. Pass.

70 - Animals run wild - Stephen Coniglio (GWS) – I swear I had him as my first choice the moment Dylan Shiel went 27 picks earlier. I like the pick and adds to clearance rotation which are an important area for LFFL team versatility. Good selection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back