Team Mgmt. An early crack at 2017 best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends on whether you are picking a best 22 for the beginning or end of the season. In recent years both Heppell and Merrett have established themselves as safely within the best 22 by seasons end.

Heppell played every game - I see Francis doing the same. Morgan is a well built 19yo who looks developed enough for senior footy. Parish has enough talent to make up for his lack of size with regular games. I don't see eades or Redman playing much if at all in year one. Brown certainly in the mix and Hartley good depth. Out of our 7 picks we have 5 who will play senior footy in 2016 IMO

Be interesting to see how our forwardline works now. One thing for sure is Brown plays.

Either Mckernan, Daniher and Brown

Or
Daniher, Brown and Langford

I think i prefer the 3rd option but i never like being tall. Leuys a fitness freak Joey only to give small chop outs

Brown slots straight into full back for me & Hooker stays forward.

Gwilt Brown Baguley
Hibberd Hurley Goddard
Z.Merrett Watson Colyer
Zakka Daniher Laverde
McKernan Hooker Dempsey

Leaunberger Heppell Hocking

Bench from: Stanton Myers Fantasia Bird

I wanted to come here and do a best 22 but it started to annoy me more than anything so I aborted the project.

The "best 22 names" and the best team balance are still miles apart.

Stanton, Cooney and Bird in particular play ancillary roles adding virtually nothing of what is needed when Heppell, Myers, Hocking and Watson are all clearly best 22.

If we are going to go places Worsefold is going to have to make some genuinely tough decisions at the selection table as opposed to the pseudo "tough" list management decisions we make.

It will be interesting to see what we do with the key posts back and forward. Brown and Hartley could conceivably play together in defence with Hurley to enable Hooker to play forward with McKernan and Daniher or Brown could play forward with a rock solid combination of Hurley, Hartley and Hooker in defence.

It would be nice to play with a second genuine key forward with McKernan to provide the relief rucking as one of three tall forwards.

All of a sudden, there are some players that I can't see crack the side very often injuries withstanding.

What role will Ambrose play? If we have McKernan, Brown (assuming he plays forward) and Daniher, do we really need him in the side? If Brown plays back, then we'd likely have a resting ruck playing forward.
Laverde and Langford will both likely spend some time forward as well.
Can't really see a spot for him.

Assuming we have a full strength side, I don't know how we are going to fit Howlett in the side either. Can't play all of Myers, Hocking, Watson, Howlett and Bird.

Also, Cooney, Dempsey and Gwilt are others that I'm unsure about.

If we decide not to go with 2 rucks, then I don't know how Bellchambers will fit in the side either if McKernan plays as our mobile tall forward. Run the risk of playing too tall, which means next to no defensive pressure going back, making us susceptible to being cut up on the rebound. But he'll likely play more than the others that I've mentioned.

I don't think Kommer and Pears will play another game for us tbh.

Brown slots straight into full back for me & Hooker stays forward.

Gwilt Brown Baguley
Hibberd Hurley Goddard
Z.Merrett Watson Colyer
Zakka Daniher Laverde
McKernan Hooker Dempsey

Leaunberger Heppell Hocking

Bench from: Stanton Myers Fantasia Bird
I somewhat like this concept. Hooker is an AA defender but showed good skills fwd so could be left there given we've just picked up 2 mature VFL talls. Competition for spots will surely be increased at least and that has to be a good thing.

BrunoV Jack Package eth-dog

Wouldn't mind your take on both our senior side and the possibility of how our VFL side will line up next year

It's beyond me.

How are you supposed to fit Watson, Heppell, Myers, Goddard, Bird, Cooney and Hocking into the one midfield/forward rotation? It's painfully slow with the flow on effect likely to be that we will play a smaller forwardline.

While I don't think it will get close to the best 22, what I would do is:

Hartley Hurley Baguley
Gleeson Hooker Hibberd

Luenberger Watson Heppell
Hocking Colyer Z. Merrett

Laverde Langford Goddard
Zaharakis Daniher McKernan

Fantasia Stanton Edwards Bird

It's basically an interim structure while we wait for players to retire. It's not hard to see why we took Parish, Redman and Morgan where we did.

Last edited:
Be interesting to see how our forwardline works now. One thing for sure is Brown plays.

Either Mckernan, Daniher and Brown

Or
Daniher, Brown and Langford

I think i prefer the 3rd option but i never like being tall. Leuys a fitness freak Joey only to give small chop outs

I doubt that Langford will be ready for that role next season. He'll still be in and out of the side and he continues to develop.

McKernan, Daniher and Brown for me. At least at the beginning of the season. Hopefully by the end of the year the likes of Langford have stepped up.

I wanted to come here and do a best 22 but it started to annoy me more than anything so I aborted the project.

Stanton, Cooney and Bird in particular play ancillary roles adding virtually nothing of what is needed when Heppell, Myers, Hocking and Watson are all clearly best 22.

If we are going to go places Worsefold is going to have to make some genuinely tough decisions at the selection table as opposed to the pseudo "tough" list management decisions we make.

It will be interesting to see what we do with the key posts back and forward. Brown and Hartley could conceivably play together in defence with Hurley to enable Hooker to play forward with McKernan and Daniher or Brown could play forward with a rock solid combination of Hurley, Hartley and Hooker in defence.

It would be nice to play with a second genuine key forward with McKernan to provide the relief rucking as one of three tall forwards.

It's definitely going to be interesting to see how the team lines up in round one. I suspect that a few on here will be upset at their favourites missing out or playing very different roles than we are used to. I suspect that Stanton and Cooney are probably the most at risk if everyone is fit.

Wouldn't mind your take on both our senior side and the possibility of how our VFL side will line up next year
Was going to give it a crack. For me, if we take Nyuon, Coghlan, Hams and Wallis in the rookie draft we'll go with something like:

Hooker - Hartley - Baguley
Gleeson - Hurley - Hibberd
Stanton - Watson - Myers
Laverde - McKernan - Colyer
Zaharakis - Daniher - Fantasia
Leuenberger - Heppell - Hocking
Bird - Z Merrett - Goddard - J Merrett

Ashby - Pears - Morgan
Francis - Gwilt - Wallis
Cooney - Coghlan - Parish
Eades - Brown - Edwards
Long - Bellchambers - McKenna
Nyuon - Hams - Howlett
Langford - Redman - Dempsey - Ambrose - Kommer

Obviously VFL players like Polkinghorne, Schroder and Ferry will get games there.

Was going to give it a crack. For me, if we take Nyuon, Coghlan, Hams and Wallis in the rookie draft we'll go with something like:

Stanton - Watson - Myers

Ashby - Pears - Morgan
Francis - Gwilt - Wallis
Eades - Brown - Edwards
Nyuon - Hams - Howlett

Obviously VFL players like Polkinghorne, Schroder and Ferry will get games there.

Looking at that VFL best 22, we really need the next get to stand up sooner rather than later.

Even though they weren't playing afl, Nob Kav, Browne etc were better than role players at VFL level.

Still want to see Stanton off a half back flank. Hes preventing midfield development on a wing and as we saw with Boyd could reinvigorate him in a new role. I still remember when he had 41 disposals in a Nab game across half back also took a few kick outs and with his long leg provided some run and drive.

Francis plays from day dot IMO fast track that development similar to Heppell.

Francis - Hooker - Baguley

Stanton - Hurley - Hibberd

Goddard - Watson - Gleeson

Laverde - M.Brown - Colyer

Langford - Daniher - Z.Merrett

Leunberger - Hocking - Heppell

Bench: Myers, Zaharakis, Bird, Fantasia

Emg: Hartley, Howlett, Mckernan, Cooney

My teams with an eye to the future not for best results next year but results in year 2 and 3.

It's beyond me.

How are you supposed to fit Watson, Heppell, Myers, Goddard, Bird, Cooney and Hocking into the one midfield/forward rotation? It's painfully slow with the flow on effect likely to be that we will play a smaller forwardline.

While I don't think it will get close to the best 22, what I would do is:

Hartley Hurley Baguley
Gleeson Hooker Hibberd

Luenberger Watson Heppell
Hocking Colyer Z. Merrett

Laverde Langford Goddard
Zaharakis Daniher McKernan

Fantasia Stanton Edwards Bird

It's basically an interim structure while we wait for players to retire. It's not hard to see why we took Parish, Redman and Pearce where we did.
Myers probably most stiff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure how you put Stanton in that group.... he played much of this year running off half back and wing and performed very well.

He's well and truly in our best 22 no matter who else is there.

Re mids, obviously Watson and Heppell are locks.

Stanton is also a lock for round 1, as a wing / half back. Colyer is a lock for a wing.

Zaka should be, but is possibly the most interesting of the lot given his drop-off in form.

Goddard I expect to play less midfield. We desperately need experience in the forward line and I think he’d be good there.

Hocking, Bird, Howlett, and Myers are probably competing for two or even one spot I reckon.

Hopefully Laverde is played as a mid and goes past them all. Zerrett already has.

Cooney plays in an absolute extreme injury emergency only. He’s completely shot and my preference is he doesn’t play seniors again.

Not going to attempt to label every position but suspect Laverde will be in the side the whole year, he's physically big enough and with another preseason you'd expect his tank to improve. Will bust my nut if he gets the rising star cos I love this kid

I think Langford will be in and out of the side which doesn't bother me. Still needs to grow more so he can hold his own physically, but he will benefit from another full preseason. Still think he could make due because his disposal is so clean but I'd rather not have the kid getting pummeled every week.

I suspect brown will part time relief for daniher, as I expect McKernan to be. Hartley should start r1 also- gives us flexibility to throw hooker forward but also we have the defenders to play on 3 talls. Still prefer hooker as the roaming backman as his intercept marking is one of the best in the league so I see having hartley there as a huge bonus (also only 22)

Not expecting too much from Parish. Huge year in the gym, should see some games, but needs to gain some size. Think like a billings/mcrae he can still come in and do well but not sure we need to put him in if we have a fit team.

Francis I think could hold his own aswell, but not 100% sure where I see him playing if team is fit. He'll get games, but I suspect it could be through injury. Really looking forward to seeing how he goes because I have high hopes for him.

Redman could do with a year in VFL like langford. I see redman as laverde v2 but with less size so I expect him to sit it out and continue to grow.

Not sure on Morgan. Looks ready to go but I don't know if he would fit into best 22 yet. Excited to see him sidestep though, it'll be his trademark..

Too many people have Stanton at half back. Has anyone watched him play the last 10 years? Here's a classic quote from way back when he stepped out of Fev's way. He's done it multiple times over the years and did it again last year.

Too many people missing the point. If he was simply out of form and struggling to adapt to the tag he is getting this year then it is a worry but something you would expect him to work through.
The concern is the complete lack of respect he shows his team mates and the jumper by side stepping a contest. On saturday night he looked over his shoulder and stepped out of the way and let Fev come through and take an easy mark. If it is good enough for a young bloke like Dempsey to stand in the path of Riewodlt in the NAB Cup game and then in front of Thompson a couple of times against North then it is dam well good enough for Stants to do the same thing the one time he had to on saturday night. Im not suggesting he go and and crash blokes all night. That is not his go. An outside player is what he is but there are no excuse's for stepping out of the way during a game and letting a team mate down when you simply had to stay in the space and make a contest.
If players start dodging the contact then we start becoming the marsh mellow side again that no one has any respect for.
Its not about expecting him to be as good as Hird. It is about him having some respect for the jumper and puting his body on the line when it is his turn.

Too many people have Stanton at half back. Has anyone watched him play the last 10 years? Here's a classic quote from way back when he stepped out of Fev's way. He's done it multiple times over the years and did it again last year.

Would he get a game at your Doggies?

Stanton - Watson - Myers

Ashby - Pears - Morgan
Francis - Gwilt - Wallis
Eades - Brown - Edwards
Nyuon - Hams - Howlett

Let me have another crack at the AFL squad.

Francis - Hurley - Hibberd
Stanton - Watson - Myers
Laverde - Brown - Colyer
Zaharakis - Daniher - McKernan
Couglan - Z Merrett - Goddard - Fantasia/Edwards

Let me have another crack at the AFL squad.

Francis - Hurley - Hibberd
Stanton - Watson - Myers
Laverde - Brown - Colyer
Zaharakis - Daniher - McKernan
Couglan - Z Merrett - Goddard - Fantasia/Edwards
I like mine better thanks

Hartley Hurley Bags
Hibberd Hooker Francis
Colyer Watson Merrett
Langford Brown Goddard
McKernan Daniher Laverde
Luenberger Myers Heppell
Hocking Zaharakis Bird Stanton

Gleeson I think will be put back in the oven to cook for a little longer. Parish probably gets 6 weeks in the 2s to get used to senior footy and Howlett's just not as versatile as Bird.

Highly doubt 2 ruckmen sticks for any period of time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back