C JMerrett Goddard Fantasia
HF McKernan Brown Cooney
FF Eades Daniher Edwards
R Leuenberger ZMerrett Bird
Int Hams Parish Laverde Langford
Emg Francis Ashby Kommer

Did I forget anyone?
Let's look at the bright side for a moment, at least it won't be a slow side! ☺
I'd rather Brown defence, Dempsey forward and Ashby for Ambrose.

FB Baguley Hartley Gwilt
HB Dempsey Ambrose Gleeson
C JMerrett Goddard Fantasia
HF McKernan Brown Cooney
FF Eades Daniher Edwards
R Leuenberger ZMerrett Bird
Int Hams Parish Laverde Langford
Emg Francis Ashby Kommer

Did I forget anyone?
Let's look at the bright side for a moment, at least it won't be a slow side! ☺

Zaharakis.

FB: Baguley, Gwilt, Fantasia
HB: Brown, Hartley, Gleeson
C: Jerrett, Ambrose, Laverde
HF: Edwards, McKernan, Zaharakis
FF: Tippa, Daniher, Dempsey
RR: Luey, Goddard, Merrett
Inter: Bird, Cooney, Langford, Parish

Last edited:
Honestly, putting aside the pain I feel for the players, I am genuinely excited about the season. On paper I'm not sure that things are as bad as they seem, though the emotional toll could destroy the season before it starts.

It's will be a roller coaster of results but it will be fascinating to see how our genuinely talented younger group of players handles the season. Without running out the old cliches about playing the kids, this could really accelerate the development of some players who would have struggled for game time (but on who our long term success will be built - anyone who has read my ramblings will know I don't see "it" with what would otherwise have been our best 22).

I'm not really talking about the 1st and 2nd year players either. Guys like Jack Merrett (Stanton replacement), Gleeson and Ashby (Hibberd replacement), Edwards (Howlett replacement as small forward) and Fantasia (Colyer replacement) are all ready to be AFL footballers but would almost certainly never have taken the field together in 2016. You'd expect these guys to play 22 games. Each of these guys has shown genuine AFL qualities. I am not sure that it will be long before McKenna is ready to go, he could almost be added to this group. He is a brute of a kid and knows how to win the ball forward and kick goals (which is quite an accomplishment for an Irish recruit - they usually start in defence).

Based on VFL form of Laverde and Langford, and glimpses at AFL level, in 2015 neither is going to be unready for AFL football from round 1 2016. They might not have 22 games in them but as mid-tall forwards who have a run on the ball they will be fine to pencil in from round 1.

Someone like Eades who has the engine could end up a goal sneak for much if not all of the season (this is one of the positions that first year 18/19 year olds can impact in for a season).

Players of the class of Parish and Francis are likely to have played more football than not. Alex Morgan is a relatively mature recruit who has the pace to make an immediate impact at AFL level (players of speed usually slot in to teams more effectively than other smalls).

I am confident that the sum of Daniher, McKernan, Luenberger, Hartley and Brown is of significantly greater value than the perception of the value of its parts. The quality of McKernan's 2015 has been chronically underrated. Gwilt can do a job.

To round out a team and provide depth for the key posts, Jordan Lisle at Port is quite impressive in straight lines and seems to me to have the physicality to play AFL and enables Brown to play in defence. He gave our VFL team a bath in 2015. Guys like Mason Shaw and Giles are players who, given opportunities and their respective talents, could yet make it. Grimley does a lot right at VFL level.

You can't downplay the loss of players as good as Hooker and Hurley but I think we can still provide a good enough spine to build a team around.

The real area of concern is the inside of midfield which has taken the biggest hit. It's also where I struggle to come up with replacements which is a concern because the lighter runners described above will be somewhat reliant on this group. I'd be getting Ambrose in the midfield group immediately if he hasn't already had his training schedule changed. I suppose Cooney and Bird now get games without much in the way of a grumble from me. Hell even my whipping boy Kommer can be thrown in if he can get fit. Dan Coghlan is the standout that I would add from the lower leagues and believe we could pencil in for a year (and who would likely still be on the list in 2017).

Depth will be a problem but, then, it always is.
Sorry to intrude but I agree it will a roller coaster of emotions this season. All my family are bombers through and through so I've seen the stuff most of you guys would've been feeling for the last 2-3 years.

Potentially could go a smaller forward line, but I think we'll need 3 genuine marking targets, and I don't consider Langford or Edwards to be that.
I can see players like Goddard heavily rotating through there though. I'd honestly rather the mobility down there.

Baguley - Hartley - Gwilt

Francis - M.Brown - Dempsey

Bird - Laverde - Gleeson

Z.Merrett - Daniher - Fantasia

Cooney - Mckernan - Langford

Leunberger - Goddard - Zaharakis

J.Merrett, Parish, Edwards, Redman

Thats how id like to see our starting side round 1 next year.

Plenty of small forward depth with Kommer, Yeades, Tippa. Its why im also playing Dempsey across halfback hes more required there next year but straight swaps with Fantasia can work. No doubt players will be heavily rotated in positions to improve Morale, change and to keep on their toes.

Ashby, Morgan as defender backup.

Factoring in the top up players, I think we'll have an OK best 22. A lot to get excited about.

Last edited:
Factoring in the top up players, I think we'll have an OK best 22. A lot to get exited about.
Surely youd rather these guys are purely backup/depth

Think we have enough experience/maturity still on the ground with Gleeson, Hartley, Brown, Dempsey, Bags back Z.Merrett, Goddard, Zacka, J.Merrett, Bird, Leuy through the middle and Cooney, Kommer, Daniher, Edwards types forward.

Think we have enough experience/maturity still on the ground with Gleeson, Hartley, Brown, Dempsey, Bags back Z.Merrett, Goddard, Zacka, J.Merrett, Bird, Leuy through the middle and Cooney, Kommer, Daniher, Edwards types forward.

List balance is well off if are using purely the players we already have on our list.

Half the players you listed under experience/maturity have played less then 50 games.

Majority of suspended players are big bodied mids, particularly inside mids, and KPD.
Whilst we would all love to see the kids play, and we will, at least a few of the top ups need to be best 22 in those roles.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Majority of suspended players are big bodied mids, particularly inside mids, and KPD.
Whilst we would all love to see the kids play, and we will, at least a few of the top ups need to be best 22 in those roles.
I wouldnt waste my time.

Laverde, Langford are big bodies. Goddard is, zacka needs to harden up. Bird mature aged. Cooney will spend more time in there. I think we have it covered.

I hope they are purely used as depth. We might be as big bodied as some but we wont be any better off playing VFL guys. I simply just push guys like Parish, Francis, J.Merrett out of contention for games.

I wouldnt waste my time.

Laverde, Langford are big bodies. Goddard is, zacka needs to harden up. Bird mature aged. Cooney will spend more time in there. I think we have it covered.

I hope they are purely used as depth. We might be as big bodied as some but we wont be any better off playing VFL guys. I simply just push guys like Parish, Francis, J.Merrett out of contention for games.

Laverde and Langford may have bigish frames, however they are way to inexperienced to throw their weight around and make their presence felt like a Myers and Hocking would.

Laverde and Langford may have bigish frames, however they are way to inexperienced to throw their weight around and make their presence felt like a Myers and Hocking would.

Langford no. Laverde getting close.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back