Team Mgmt. An early crack at 2017 best 22

Remove this Banner Ad

The first 3 defiantly cannot play 20 odd games straight
Theres no point playing Crowley, Clint Jones over Parish, Redman, Francis, Edwards

Thats why we have other guys like Hams, Yeades, Kommer, Morgan in the 2s and the 10 state league players to chop out youngters for a rest.

Have no problem with that. The guys on the list take precedence we have enough on the field to help develop them to a good enough degree. We might have to swap a couple to find that balance but my side wont be far off starting.

Edwards, Gleeson, Kommer, Hartley, Brown, Mckernan, Z.Merrett, Jerrett arent 18yr old babies.

Francis is ready made. Parish has played senior football and will be in and out as fringe/depth

B: Gwilt - Hartley - Baguley
HB: Dempsey - Goddard - Brown
C: J.Merrett - Bird - Z.Merrett
HF: Cooney - Daniher - Langford
F: Kommer - McKernan - Edwards
R: Leuenberger, Ambrose, Zaharakis
I/C: Fantasia, Gleeson, Laverde, Ashby

I reckon with Goddard in the back 3rd the side looks a lot more competitive.

B: Gwilt - Hartley - Baguley
HB: Dempsey - Goddard - Brown
C: J.Merrett - Bird - Z.Merrett
HF: Cooney - Daniher - Langford
F: Kommer - McKernan - Edwards
R: Leuenberger, Ambrose, Zaharakis
I/C: Fantasia, Gleeson, Laverde, Ashby

I reckon with Goddard in the back 3rd the side looks a lot more competitive.

I think Goddard will be on the ball, Brown at CHB and maybe Fantasia on HBF. Not a bad effort though.

Assume Parish plays midfield and starts to play some good football (watching training the other day, this is likely to be the case... he is a real goer).?

Opposition clubs will tag him. Crowley had the ability to intimidate the tagger and continue to play well himself.

If you listen to Fletchers interview about when he first started playing at such a young age, he praised Dean Wallis for verbatim "allowing him to walk tall".

Theres no point playing Crowley, Clint Jones over Parish, Redman, Francis, Edwards

Yes there is. Not much is achieved playing teams full of kids in a structure that requires them to play roles they are not physically ready for.

Laverde, Langford, Z Merrett, Parish and Francis do not need to spend a year being battered on the front line of the midfield. They'll have even better development years if they are in with Coghlan, Simpkin and Crowley, for example, and Bird and Cooney who can do the bulk of the grunt work.6

Last edited:
Assume Parish plays midfield and starts to play some good football (watching training the other day, this is likely to be the case... he is a real goer).?

Opposition clubs will tag him. Crowley had the ability to intimidate the tagger and continue to play well himself.

If you listen to Fletchers interview about when he first started playing at such a young age, he praised Dean Wallis for verbatim "allowing him to walk tall".
Oppositions clubs wont tag Parish. They probably wont even bother running with a tag and if they do it will be going to a Goddard or Zacka

Yes there is. Not much is achieved playing teams full of kids in a structure that requires them to play roles they are not physically ready for.

Laverde, Langford, Z Merrett, Parish and Francis do not need to spend a year being battered on the front line of the midfield. They'll have even better development years if they are in with Coghlan, Simpkin and Crowley, for example, and Bird and Cooney who can do the bulk of the grunt work.6

It isnt exactly full of kids though.

Zac Merrett is well beyond his 3rd year hes been that fast tracked, he also has the body to easily play 20+ games as already shown.

We might need 1 or 2 but id hope we arent putting Parish in the reserves and others because of it as they would be the ones likely lost to the side and position.

They have enough support.

Dan coghlan, Jon simpkin, Ryan Crowley, polkinghorne, grimley,jamar, gach nyuon, wil hams, Wallis, Jake long, conor McKenna, Sam dunell would be the 12 top ups for mine.
Note Paddy Ambrose is being groomed for a key defensive role in 2016. My best 22
Baguley Hartley Gwilt
Ashby Ambrose Goddard
Fantasia Coghlan Langford
Zac Merrett Smac Zaharakis
Brown Joe Edwards
Leunberger Bird Simpkin
Int fr Parish, Francis, Laverde, Dempsey, Gleeson, Crowley, Polkinghorne, Eades, Morgan, Redman, Cooney

Last edited:
I will throw my thoughts into this thread - Apparently suspended players are allowed to attend games ( a strange decision ) - Anyway supports should make the most of it and ensure these players are given a standing ovation at every home game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oppositions clubs wont tag Parish. They probably wont even bother running with a tag and if they do it will be going to a Goddard or Zacka

They might not go with the tag but the likes of Mitchell and others will if given the opportunity try and get in Parish's face, Crowley wont be afraid to back Parish in such situation, also Crowley can go forward and kick a goal.

They might not go with the tag but the likes of Mitchell and others will if given the opportunity try and get in Parish's face, Crowley wont be afraid to back Parish in such situation, also Crowley can go forward and kick a goal.

Crowley will lack alot of desire to play for the red and black.

Its why we should be targeting the 23-28 yr old state league players who have had a crack or not yet.

Crowley gains nothing then money. He knows he wont be on an afl list in 2017 no matter how well he goes. Also surely you dont go negative with tags and play positive attacking fan exciting football in our situation. Give the players a free reign. Crowley doesnt meed those requirements.

Parish will cop it no matter what as every young kid does we have guys that can standup, age doesnt determine whether you can or how many years youve been around to whether or not you can stand up to mitchell. Heart and ticker does and they are the ones that are on the list that will have this more then anything - the current list.

Its why we should be targeting the 23-28 yr old state league players who have had a crack or not yet.

Crowley gains nothing then money. He knows he wont be on an afl list in 2017 no matter how well he goes. Also surely you dont go negative with tags and play positive attacking fan exciting football in our situation. Give the players a free reign. Crowley doesnt meed those requirements.

Parish will cop it no matter what as every young kid does we have guys that can standup, age doesnt determine whether you can or how many years youve been around to whether or not you can stand up to mitchell. Heart and ticker does and they are the ones that are on the list that will have this more then anything - the current list.
Don't agree about Crowley. He is wanting to redeem himself after his mistake. He is a very good player and would add a lot to a young team. And he is the type of player Woosha loves.

How can we say he lacks desire and most footballers today play for the club that they were recruited or traded too, most clubs may have a few that play for the jumper but most are just there for a kick, the hope for a flag and/or for the money, it would be nice to think everyone who wears the sash is doing so out of love for it but I doubt most do.

With these top ups, we have no rights to these guys after the season so whilst it would be good to give a few from the VFL side a run, we run the risk of helping other clubs recruitment, maybe we should look at half a dozen players with solid experience and a few VFL players to strike some kind of balance.

Last edited:
Don't agree about Crowley. He is wanting to redeem himself after his mistake. He is a very good player and would add a lot to a young team. And he is the type of player Woosha loves.
The mistake isnt the reason hes not playing afl anymore

I guess if the rules are you need to have played afl in thast 2 years then it limits the field a bit.

Or is that wrong?

How can we say he lacks desire and most footballers today play for the club that they were recruited or traded too, most clubs may have a few that play for the jumper but most are just there for a kick, the hope for a flag and/or for the money, it would be nice to think everyone who wears the sash is doing so out of love for it but I doubt most do.

With these top ups, we have no rights to these guys after the season so whilst it would be good to give a few from the VFL side a run, we run the risk of helping other clubs recruitment, maybe we should look at half a dozen players with solid experience and a few VFL players to strike some kind of balance.

Wed all be on a level playing field in fact wed know more due to extensive training an knowing their body and mindset inaide out.

Crowley as you stated for one reason would only be playing for money and not because he wants to help easendon. Due to this his deaire woukd waiver and lack.

1) hes coming off a suspension due to illegal drugs we just got arsed for the same
2) hes limited to only a tagger we shouldnt be tagging any negative footy and ill be pretty miffed
3) by playing him it forces a Parish, Jerrett out of the side or a Laverde, Zerrett, Jerrett, Gleeson out of the midfield time that they need to develop
4) you want someone that has a desire to put their case forward that has a reasonable expectation of playing afl in 2017 not someone whos washed up

The mistake isnt the reason hes not playing afl anymore

I guess if the rules are you need to have played afl in thast 2 years then it limits the field a bit.

Or is that wrong?
Been on an AFL list or Essendon VFL. Or anyone else approved by Andrew Dillon.

Absolute bull. As of now Crowley is only recognised as that annoying guy that took a banned substance. He trained hard all year in the slight hope that he could play one game. If that's not determination then I don't know what is. If Crowley is on our list it will be for one reason and one reason only as far as I'm concerned, redemption. He'll want to prove that he is still capable of shutting down the leagues best players and that Fremantle made the wrong move. This desire to show that he can perform without the drug will be why he will not only want this chance, but also take it and absolutely smash it.

It is time for Creepy Crowley to don the sash.

Absolute bull. As of now Crowley is only recognised as that annoying guy that took a banned substance. He trained hard all year in the slight hope that he could play one game. If that's not determination then I don't know what is. If Crowley is on our list it will be for one reason and one reason only as far as I'm concerned, redemption. He'll want to prove that he is still capable of shutting down the leagues best players and that Fremantle made the wrong move. This desire to show that he can perform without the drug will be why he will not only want this chance, but also take it and absolutely smash it.

It is time for Creepy Crowley to don the sash.

He trained hard all year to play finals and play for the fremantle dockers jumper

How can you not see the difference?

We are better off picking someone whonis fighting for an AFL contract the following year not someone who wants much more then 40-50k to play football a year

He trained hard all year to play finals and play for the fremantle dockers jumper

We are better off picking someone whonis fighting for an AFL contract the following year not someone who wants much more then 40-50k to play football a year
They both have their ups and downs.

not sure about that.

guys fighting for an AFL contract the following year obv have flaws in their game or elese they would already be on a list.

Why should we be taking flawed projects when we can just bring in specific targeted needs players for a year?

Not saying these guys are not flawed also but if they suit the particular hole we need filling - lets fill it.

We need a big bodied defensive mid - we got butchered last year without one, this year we have even less on ball. Its not just a tagger, its a blocker, a path clearer...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back