An early look at the 2014 draft from a Hawthorn perspective

Remove this Banner Ad

What are the chances of us trading for Angus Brayshaw? To me he is EXACTLY the type we need, someone who can come and deliver now, he is big and strong ( 187cm,86kgs) Plays outside and inside and has elite skills. At this stage he is touted around pick 10 but gee I would love for the Hawks to get a hold of him, it's also fairly well known that Clarko has loved this kid since he was early teens and has worked privately with him to improve his skill set and fitness base.

List Manager - Give me something?

I doubt that we could secure a pick inside the top 5 or 6 this season without paying overs at the trade table. Most clubs were pretty happy to trade away picks last year to get what they wanted but I can't see many (if any) giving away top 10 picks this year as the crop is too talented at the top end.

Graham Wright has a fantastic record of drafting very good senior players with mid to late picks ie. Stratton, Hill, Litherland and Breust, Suckling (rookies) so we may be better off looking for an under rated type again.
I've maintained all along that I really would like to see the club upgrade our first pick to inside the top 14 this year, something like what Collingwood did with West Coast last year enabling both to draft the kids they were after but that is much easier said than done.

If our first pick is in the 20ish range then I think Brayden Maynard could be the way to go if still available. However, midfielders did start pushing their names up the order in the last few games of the championships so there may be one or two from my top 14 that slip through to our pick. Bare in mind, that's only my top 14 and not that of the HFC.

The way Wright was talking down at Geelong last week during the Metro v SA game we may well be trading away our first pick/s again but he kept his cards close to his chest.

I doubt that we could secure a pick inside the top 5 or 6 this season without paying overs at the trade table. Most clubs were pretty happy to trade away picks last year to get what they wanted but I can't see many (if any) giving away top 10 picks this year as the crop is too talented at the top end.

Graham Wright has a fantastic record of drafting very good senior players with mid to late picks ie. Stratton, Hill, Litherland and Breust, Suckling (rookies) so we may be better off looking for an under rated type again.
I've maintained all along that I really would like to see the club upgrade our first pick to inside the top 14 this year, something like what Collingwood did with West Coast last year enabling both to draft the kids they were after but that is much easier said than done.

If our first pick is in the 20ish range then I think Brayden Maynard could be the way to go if still available. However, midfielders did start pushing their names up the order in the last few games of the championships so there may be one or two from my top 14 that slip through to our pick. Bare in mind, that's only my top 14 and not that of the HFC.

The way Wright was talking down at Geelong last week during the Metro v SA game we may well be trading away our first pick/s again but he kept his cards close to his chest.

Dylan Shiel looks better and better each week!

O'Rourke surely is a must.
Because he can't get a game for one of the worst sides in the AFL?
Because he was a high draft pick?

Maybe we can do a straight swap, O'Rourke for Dowler or Thorp, they were high draft picks too!

I'd love to see Weller at the club. He has been compared to Sam Mitchell at times, which is obviously a tough comparison to live up to, but an honour nonetheless. If we're looking for real hawthorn like players, check out this weeks episode of 'Eye Catchers' on afl.com.au. There's a guy called Harrison Wigg who could not be more of a hawthorn half backer. Obviously we don't need another half back right now, but his disposal looks to be excellent, both short and long. They've compared his kicking already to Matt Suckling, so I wouldn't mind seeing him at the club.

Jack Lonie, cousin of former hawk Nathan and his brother Ryan, also has big wraps following recent performances. He's short and skinny but he seems like he attacks the ball and gives it 100% much like Puopolo. They say he's more damaging in the forward line, so it would be an interesting pick.

But honestly, what position/what kind of player do you think the hawks really need the most?
Thats a tough question. I think our mids are all right. We may need mature age key defender or even a forward. Other than that, we are all sorted.

another Claremont player with same skills and I think a bit tougher is Jared Hardisty...I reckon a Sewell like replacement...thoughts?

Now that the national championships are over there may a few more pieces of the puzzle in place.

From Hawthorns perspective Lachie Weller and Tom Lamb's draft position has probably slipped a little while Jayden Leverde, Caleb Marchbank and Paul Ahern continued to impress and their stocks have risen dramatically.

It's still a long way out but the champs provided a good guide as usual.

Now that the national championships are over there may a few more pieces of the puzzle in place.

From Hawthorns perspective Lachie Weller and Tom Lamb's draft position has probably slipped a little while Jayden Leverde, Caleb Marchbank and Paul Ahern continued to impress and their stocks have risen dramatically.

It's still a long way out but the champs provided a good guide as usual.

A few other players to press their claims throughout the championships were Harrison Wigg, Connor Blakeley, Tyler Keitel, Jarrod Garlett, Dean Gore, Daniel Butler & Lukas Webb...I'd have either Chris Petracca or Darcy Moore as the number 1 pick just ahead of Pat McCartin. With Peter Wright, Isaac Heeney & Jayden Laverde making up the top 6.

The big question in this year's draft is: Will a club pull the trigger on Caleb Daniel?....And if so when?.....Clearly the most outstanding talent on display at the championships, but at 167cm it's a BIG Call!;)

A few other players to press their claims throughout the championships were Harrison Wigg, Connor Blakeley, Tyler Keitel, Jarrod Garlett, Dean Gore, Daniel Butler & Lukas Webb...I'd have either Chris Petracca or Darcy Moore as the number 1 pick just ahead of Pat McCartin. With Peter Wright, Isaac Heeney & Jayden Laverde making up the top 6.

The big question in this year's draft is: Will a club pull the trigger on Caleb Daniel?....And if so when?.....Clearly the most outstanding talent on display at the championships, but at 167cm it's a BIG Call!;)
Darcy Moore will be a 1st round father-son selection for Collingwood and Isaac Heeney a Swans academy selection with their first pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because he can't get a game for one of the worst sides in the AFL?
Because he was a high draft pick?

Maybe we can do a straight swap, O'Rourke for Dowler or Thorp, they were high draft picks too!
Maybe they aren't playing him because he wants out. Seems to be playing well in the ressies from what I hear.

Although this seems early in the year some phantom drafts have us picking up Touk Miller. I cant say I know much about him and I would love for someone that watches more of the u18 TAC cup and championship games to enlighten me but from this bio he seems a good type.

Pick 14: Hawthorn - Touk Miller

Position: Midfielder
Height: 177 cm, Weight: 80 kg, DOB: 22/02/1996
Club: Calder Cannons
Projected Draft Range: 15-25
Plays Like: Dion Prestia

The Vic Metro captain has had a stellar TAC Cup campaign so far in 2014, and has won praise for the way he goes about his football. Miller is a predominantly inside, hard nut footballer whose bread and butter is his clearance work and his ability to win the contested ball. He throws himself at the football, and has slick hands that quickly dish out the ball to his midfielders to really help break the stoppages open. Miller is incredibly physical and aggressive, hunting the ball viciously, and is often dirty if he doesn’t stick a tackle or conversely stand up in one. Given his core strength, he’s rarely brought to ground, and he instinctively raises his arms with the ball in hand to avoid being disposed. He is such a smart footballer who bleeds for the jumper he wears, but more importantly he is a born leader who has shown on numerous occasions this season he can lead from the front. Although Miller gains praise for the work he does on the inside, he is deceptively quick in the way he bursts away from stoppages. However, he still hasn’t yet found that composure to hit targets under pressure or at full tilt. Up forward he kicks goals, and looms as a real wild card late in the first round since averaging 21.5 disposals at 72%, two marks, six tackles, 4.5 clearances, 12.5 contested possessions and four inside 50s.

..... us having pick 14 seems a bit harsh however

Although this seems early in the year some phantom drafts have us picking up Touk Miller. I cant say I know much about him and I would love for someone that watches more of the u18 TAC cup and championship games to enlighten me but from this bio he seems a good type.

Pick 14: Hawthorn - Touk Miller

Position: Midfielder
Height: 177 cm, Weight: 80 kg, DOB: 22/02/1996
Club: Calder Cannons
Projected Draft Range: 15-25
Plays Like: Dion Prestia

The Vic Metro captain has had a stellar TAC Cup campaign so far in 2014, and has won praise for the way he goes about his football. Miller is a predominantly inside, hard nut footballer whose bread and butter is his clearance work and his ability to win the contested ball. He throws himself at the football, and has slick hands that quickly dish out the ball to his midfielders to really help break the stoppages open. Miller is incredibly physical and aggressive, hunting the ball viciously, and is often dirty if he doesn’t stick a tackle or conversely stand up in one. Given his core strength, he’s rarely brought to ground, and he instinctively raises his arms with the ball in hand to avoid being disposed. He is such a smart footballer who bleeds for the jumper he wears, but more importantly he is a born leader who has shown on numerous occasions this season he can lead from the front. Although Miller gains praise for the work he does on the inside, he is deceptively quick in the way he bursts away from stoppages. However, he still hasn’t yet found that composure to hit targets under pressure or at full tilt. Up forward he kicks goals, and looms as a real wild card late in the first round since averaging 21.5 disposals at 72%, two marks, six tackles, 4.5 clearances, 12.5 contested possessions and four inside 50s.

..... us having pick 14 seems a bit harsh however
Miller goes ok but I don't see him as a first round pick. The draft really evens out after the first 15 picks so he could go anywhere in the 20-40 range at this point for mine.

At 177 he should not be on our radar. We have enough (too many?) sub 180cm players on the list. I don't want to go back to the days when we are constantly out marked and knocked off the ball by taller mids.

we don't agree often, but i think this is a great point, i remember Brisbane when they were dominant they basically only had 180cm+ players in their team, there are exceptions, but no need to recruit a bunch of smalls hoping for the exception to the rule.....

For a team which traditionally struggles to supply many AFL level players, the Western Jets have a bumper crop on offer this year:

Jayden Laverde 189cm 12/4/96 TOP 10 Certainty & a GUN
Liam Duggan 183cm 11/12/96 Likely first round. Exceptional ball winner & user
Corey Ellis 185cm 9/10/96 Likely first round. See Duggan
Brenton Payne 193cm 3/9/96 Laconical tall forward with great hands on the lead....Reminds of Bob Murphy....Likely 2nd rounder
Dillon Viojo-Rainbow 185cm 8/2/96 Likely 2nd rounder....Superlative kicker of the ball, beautiful racking & accurate left-foot kick
Connor Menadue 188cm 19/9/96 Draft likely....Not really outstanding at the champs but belonged at the level.

For the best write-ups on this year's crop, Chris25 provides the best analysis throughout his Phantom draft thread entitled Young talent Time!

Hope the OPS don't mind but I have edited the first post in this thread to now show my first round Phantom Draft to separate it from the Trades and Free Agency thread.

At 177 he should not be on our radar. We have enough (too many?) sub 180cm players on the list. I don't want to go back to the days when we are constantly out marked and knocked off the ball by taller mids.

In an ideal world you would like 185cm + midfielders. But if this kid is the next best midfield in terms of talent wise, I would hope that the club would go talent over cms....especially with our first pick.

It may be the difference in picking a Shiel or a Caddy.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back