An early look at the 2014 draft from a Hawthorn perspective

Remove this Banner Ad

This is why both parties would look to involve a 3rd or 4th club a la the Burgoyne trade.
Still doesn't lessen our burden of having to produce a quality player, all it means is it may be different cattle.

If GWS want a top 10 player from the third party, then the third party are going to want that in return from us. Involving the third party doesn't lessen what we need to give.

wasn't Clem Smith seen as a top 5 pick for the last year or so, yet people have him going pick 20 now, might be 1 to look at imo, has been AA last 2 years i believe and a talent in the weak WA team this yr......i just assumed he'd be in the top 5, so if we can nab him it might be good for us...

we don't agree often, but i think this is a great point, i remember Brisbane when they were dominant they basically only had 180cm+ players in their team, there are exceptions, but no need to recruit a bunch of smalls hoping for the exception to the rule.....
Ok but at some point you have to pick on needs. If every year the best player at our pick is 177cm would we pick them? No. I'm saying we have reached the point of picking short guys with Hill, Hartung, Duryea, Rioli, Poppy in/around the best 22 and others at box hill like Wanganeen, Webster and Woodward also sub 180cm we really are full up.

Any top 5 prospects coming through our academy this year ?

We apparently had a few overseas prospects coming our way.

Unfortunately, they were stopped in the Indian Ocean and sent back to Sri Lanka.

So far it seems that there will be 3 Definites for the de-list bin in 2014: Grimley, Kelly & Garlett....So, without getting into the merits of whether or not Lake & Sewell will continue on, that gives us 3 selections....A key addition seems to be another young up and coming developing ruckman to add to our stocks with the impending loss of Hale at the end of next year....Harry Dear seems a suitable candidate to get picked up with our final pick to fulfil this need.

With our first 2 selections, inside mids with grunt would appear our main priority given we now have a dearth of defenders, though a tough small defender wouldn't go astray for mine, in the mould of a Collins, Guerra or Brown, given Wanganeens' failure to grasp his opportunity.....Harrison Wigg From South Australia appears the best candidate for this role & could well be available at our second pick at around 34-38....Failing him, then Daniel Butler from Ballarat would also be an excellent choice.

That leaves our first pick for a gun mid at pick 14-18....Lachlan Weller if still available would be the best get here, from a pure mid-fielder perspective. With Paul Ahern, Peter Bampton & Clem Smith all very capable ....Though apart from Laverde & DeGoey, both of whom will be gone by our first pick, then Jack Nelson from the Geelong Falcons looks the best player for mine, from a utility perspective.

List manager, do you think Peter Bampton would be on the Hawks short list, presuming our first pick would be around 18-21.

If not, what are his flaws, as he seems a ready made player.

And what of Josh Glenn another young bloke who's done well at SANFL level but opted out of last years draft.

wasn't Clem Smith seen as a top 5 pick for the last year or so, yet people have him going pick 20 now, might be 1 to look at imo, has been AA last 2 years i believe and a talent in the weak WA team this yr......i just assumed he'd be in the top 5, so if we can nab him it might be good for us...

Smith will miss the next 12 months with an ACL.

List manager, do you think Peter Bampton would be on the Hawks short list, presuming our first pick would be around 18-21.

If not, what are his flaws, as he seems a ready made player.

And what of Josh Glenn another young bloke who's done well at SANFL level but opted out of last years draft.

With Harrison Wigg being one of the best kicks at under 18 level for quite a few years I think he'll go somewhere between our first and second picks.
Anything outside the first dozen picks will be speculative really so it's hard to say where Bampton sits in the draft.
Josh Glenn is an interesting one. He's the best mature ager available in this draft but it's again hard to say who or where he might be picked.

Now I can tell you that Gary Buckenara is scheduled to interview Tom Lamb tomorrow night with a view to drafting him should he be available.

Smith will miss the next 12 months with an ACL.

Bloody shame that....A lot of the Byron Picketts' about this bloke.....Should see his position in the draft plummet as a result....If he was still available at our second pick then he'd definitely be worth the punt in this draft!

Now I can tell you that Gary Buckenara is scheduled to interview Tom Lamb tomorrow night with a view to drafting him should he be available.

If we manage to secure Tom Lamb with our first pick then he'd be a steal....Decidedly underperformed at the Champs, just oozes class.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A
Bloody shame that....A lot of the Byron Picketts' about this bloke.....Should see his position in the draft plummet as a result....If he was still available at our second pick then he'd definitely be worth the punt in this draft!

If we manage to secure Tom Lamb with our first pick then he'd be a steal....Decidedly underperformed at the Champs, just oozes class.
Apologies folks, I was sure I read Clay Smith of the Bulldogs for some reason and not Clem Smith from WA. Clem Smith is fine.

Hope the OPS don't mind but I have edited the first post in this thread to now show my first round Phantom Draft to separate it from the Trades and Free Agency thread.

I love your work LM, but you made a serious error with your phantom draft as you have us at Pick 16 and Sh#tney at pick 18! Obvious error, given we will be drafting as BtoB premiers :)

For those interested, the Draft Camp Combine list & State Combine Lists for 2014 have been posted on the general Draft site by Chris.

According to shifter & Terry Wallet on the TAC show last sunday; Reece McKenzie, a 196cm Key Forward from the Northern Knights is tearing up the draft order after another huge game at TAC cup level followed by 2 dominant games at both school & Local league levels, which included one haul of 10 Goals.

Tom Lamb won't be available when we select, so unless we trade up, we are no chance.

What is happening with Harry Dear....seems to have fallen off the radar. Is the club keeping him under wraps so we can take him with pick 100.

Are we even likely to nominate for him.....if no one else nominates for him can we secure him as a f/s onto our rookie list if he not worth a spot on the main list

What is happening with Harry Dear....seems to have fallen off the radar. Is the club keeping him under wraps so we can take him with pick 100.

Are we even likely to nominate for him.....if no one else nominates for him can we secure him as a f/s onto our rookie list if he not worth a spot on the main list
You can't f/s to the rookie list, from what I know.

You either senior list them with a draft pick, or no one takes them, and you select him in the rookie draft.

You can't f/s to the rookie list, from what I know.

You either senior list them with a draft pick, or no one takes them, and you select him in the rookie draft.

Thank you....I suspected as such.
How did we get Langford......I am assuming we waived our rights to a f/s selection and just picked him up in the rookie draft in competition with every other club.

Any insight into how Harry Dear is progressing. Are we likely to nominate for him....??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back