Review Fremantle d North Melbourne by 73 pts

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 5, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah Johno said the defender didn't need to do that as Sandi never takes a mark anyway. I yelled at the TV 'not with 4 or 5 hanging off him, he can't' and then corrected myself, 'not with someone climbing him like he's a tree". Very unfair the treatment he gets. And I am sick of the commentators trotting out crap cuz they're too lazy to do their research.

Yeah he is used like a jungle gym every week and it's pretty frustrating when the commentators say "Oh Sandi should've plucked that". Then they go back and look at the vision and two defenders have pinned his arms behind his back and the other is holding on to him so he can't get a run at it.

DudleyDocker

Cancelled
Oct 3, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
NE Patriots
Very happy with the game and the win yesterday, I believe we still have lots of upside and (barring injuries) should be in a position to build to our best for the finals.

While I'm not a Suban hater, I was getting really frustrated yesterday with some of the dumb things he did. Looking back on the game it mainly stems from the fact he has no right boot, can't handpass worth a damn with his right and never steps to his right. I notice this is something Sonny has added to his game lately and it has left a couple of defenders looking silly.

I don't know how a player gets to the top level being so one-sided, and I guess it's too late now to change him but I think it's only a matter of time before he is superseded by a two-sided player who can play his role better.

Jul 5, 2011
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah Johno said the defender didn't need to do that as Sandi never takes a mark anyway. I yelled at the TV 'not with 4 or 5 hanging off him, he can't' and then corrected myself, 'not with someone climbing him like he's a tree". Very unfair the treatment he gets. And I am sick of the commentators trotting out crap cuz they're too lazy to do their research.

Sandi is a champ but cmon hes got hands of stone.

Schauermann

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2011
Hamburg
AFL Club
Fremantle
Six shots on goal in the last was about the only negative I can think of other than those mentioned.
Like Ross mentioning it in when asked about the game. Doesn't like to give too extreme comments. Put in a complete performace and he comes up with this, when the opposition got close during or late in the game he say something like we were in controll the whole game. Really like that calm and reasoned approach where it is hard to nail him down on something later.

ydraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Very happy with the game and the win yesterday, I believe we still have lots of upside and (barring injuries) should be in a position to build to our best for the finals.

While I'm not a Suban hater, I was getting really frustrated yesterday with some of the dumb things he did. Looking back on the game it mainly stems from the fact he has no right boot, can't handpass worth a damn with his right and never steps to his right. I notice this is something Sonny has added to his game lately and it has left a couple of defenders looking silly.

I don't know how a player gets to the top level being so one-sided, and I guess it's too late now to change him but I think it's only a matter of time before he is superseded by a two-sided player who can play his role better.

A lot of players nowadays can't kick on their opposite foot. You touched on what Suban's real problem is, and that is that he has no evasive skills. When under pressure he just tries to bullock his way through. That probably worked in the TAC cup but it doesn't work at AFL level unless you are Nat Fyfe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alfonz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
AFL Club
Fremantle
People say we didn't put the cue in the rack ... I reckon we did, to a certain extent. But we converted a few chances, unlike against Essendon, and North also missed a few easy set shots.

Anyway, good performance. But it's also pleasing that I think we still have room for improvement.

Don't think we reached the peaks of certain stages of other games. But instead of playing at say 9/10 level, then a period of 5/10, we were more like 7/10 for most of the game. Not meaning to sound harsh rating it "only" a 7/10, that's more to do with me being bullish on our capabilities.

Sep 29, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Arsenal, Vikings.
A lot of players nowadays can't kick on their opposite foot. You touched on what Suban's real problem is, and that is that he has no evasive skills. When under pressure he just tries to bullock his way through. That probably worked in the TAC cup but it doesn't work at AFL level unless you are Nat Fyfe.
I think you can get a away with being one sided if you are an elite kick on that side. Subes imo is a good kick but not a great one therefore making his lack of a right peg more of an issue.

ydraw

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think you can get a away with being one sided if you are an elite kick on that side. Subes imo is a good kick but not a great one therefore making his lack of a right peg more of an issue.

I wouldn't consider Danyle Pearce an elite kick. He's a good long kick like Suban but tends to struggle with pinpoint kicks. But what he can do that Suban can't, is get free onto his left boot whenever he wants, because he's quick and can sell candy to his immediate opponent allowing his space to kick. Suban's only real moves are either to put his head down and burrow through, or try to wheel around in a bic arc Scott Lucas-style to give himself space from his opponent.

Another issue is with Suban is his terrible set shot record. For someone with a good left foot he has missed an awful lot of set shots for goal inside 50m.

Sep 29, 2013
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Freo, Arsenal, Vikings.
I wouldn't consider Danyle Pearce an elite kick. He's a good long kick like Suban but tends to struggle with pinpoint kicks. But what he can do that Suban can't, is get free onto his left boot whenever he wants, because he's quick and can sell candy to his immediate opponent allowing his space to kick. Suban's only real moves are either to put his head down and burrow through, or try to wheel around in a bic arc Scott Lucas-style to give himself space from his opponent.[/QUOTE

Another issue is with Suban is his terrible set shot record. For someone with a good left foot he has missed an awful lot of set shots for goal inside 50m.
Yeah it all makes for a strong case for the GU to get a game.

yoong

Club Legend
May 9, 2013
3,919 km from Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
RTB presser:

"We were in the position to choose between Aaron Sandilands, Matthew Pavlich, David Mundy, Michael Johnson, Luke McPharlin. He was the one tonight."

I read that as he meant that we had all areas (fwd, mid, def, ruck) covered against north. The dice came up Pav.

Had to admit I enjoyed the melt by the north fans a little too much :p
But I still rate this north team. Should still be 5-8, maybe race with Port for the 4th position. To be able to beat them so comfortably is very pleasing.

A 4 qtr effort, after a 6 day break. Hopefully that put to rest the try too hard in the first half and ran out of legs in the second theory.

electricfeel

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
I wouldn't consider Danyle Pearce an elite kick. He's a good long kick like Suban but tends to struggle with pinpoint kicks. But what he can do that Suban can't, is get free onto his left boot whenever he wants, because he's quick and can sell candy to his immediate opponent allowing his space to kick. Suban's only real moves are either to put his head down and burrow through, or try to wheel around in a bic arc Scott Lucas-style to give himself space from his opponent.

I knew he'd miss that set shot he had last night. So predictable. He should just play on and kick on the run.

tacopavlich

Premiership Player
Oct 19, 2010
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not harsh on suban, just thought he was average by his standards. was ok early but nothing sensational. Then faded as he does. He isn't a young player or a developing player anymore so he shouldn't fade out of games.

That's the problem, the bloke is 25. What we see from Suban now is the best we are ever going to get and it is pretty bleak. tbh I would be much happier letting any number of our kids play ahead of him, let alone Mzungu.

K Pop

Rookie
Apr 20, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
I was three rows back from the Freo bench and what struck me is that the organisation, structure, positioning, communication and discipline of the group is in another dimension to what i have seen before from another AFL side. They obviously have a system where every position/role has a number and as players rotate they get told which number to go to and they slot straight in.

I noticed it when I watched Peel a few weeks back. I distinctly remember Connor Blakely coming off for a rotation and telling his replacement "Position 5, and watch that corridor protection". It's obviously a comprehensive system of organisation that Ross has brought in and goes beyond traditional positions like CHF, wing, rover etc. Last night the players were communicating with each across the entire length of the pitch with hand/finger signals. Basically they looked like a completely cohesive unit.

We are very very well coached. The degree of systematic organisation reminds me of the Barcelona team coached by Pep Guardiola, also in the sense that the 'system' is made to work by a dominant individual/combination of individuals executing the critical part of the game plan (for us it's the Fyfe, Mundy, Sandi etc. on-ball brigade...for Barca it was the Messi, Xavi, Iniesta combination).

I think the big difference this year is that the system and the key individuals are clicking at the same time. Looks very promising but a long way to go!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back