• Andrew Gaff

Votes: 39 26.9%
  • Jack Macrae

Votes: 61 42.1%
  • Isaac Smith

Votes: 45 31.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

How good was that pass by foot out of the middle by Macrae to Tom Boyd for a goal? Another superb game from Mac, 27 disposals and nine tackles to be one of our best.

Regardless of how this poll plays out, every team is happy.

Purpose of the poll is clearly to compare three outside midfielders and on that I'd go Smith, Gaff, MacRae in order. MacRae on the outside has half the run and hurt factor of the first two.

But if we're looking at the whole package it's MacRae easily. Because he's an inside midfielder who can play outside. I take MacRae out of those three and play him on the ball permanently and that's where he's superior. Not on the outside role he's known for.

Gaff>Smith>Macrae in terms of 2015. Smith has probably been the best up to this point.

As to which I would take from this point on- Macrae easily.

Gaff is the best. Still very young and is a lock for AA. One of my favourite non-Saints players

Gaff is currently the best player of this lot.

I really think Macrea is underrated, but im pretty biased and don't like rating Dogs players for that reason.

But in saying that how many 20year olds have done what he has , look at his last 5 weeks.

dot.gif
33 disps (20 kicks 13 hballs), 10 marks, 4 tackles and a goal in Rd 15 22-pt win over Gold Coast at Cazaly's Stadium (11 Jul 2015)
dot.gif
31 disps (19 kicks 12 hballs) and 6 marks in Rd 14 11-pt win over Carlton at Etihad Stadium (4 Jul 2015)
dot.gif
27 disps (13 kicks 14 hballs), 5 marks and 9 tackles in Rd 13 6-pt win over St Kilda at Etihad Stadium (27 Jun 2015)
dot.gif
35 disps (14 kicks 21 hballs), 6 marks and 4 tackles in Rd 12 72-pt win over Brisbane at Etihad Stadium (20 Jun 2015)
dot.gif
31 disps (20 kicks 11 hballs), 5 marks and 8 tackles in Rd 10 38-pt loss to Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval (6 Jun 2015)

Kid is a freak.

Gaff is currently the best player of this lot.

I really think Macrea is underrated, but im pretty biased and don't like rating Dogs players for that reason.

But in saying that how many 20year olds have done what he has , look at his last 5 weeks.

dot.gif
33 disps (20 kicks 13 hballs), 10 marks, 4 tackles and a goal in Rd 15 22-pt win over Gold Coast at Cazaly's Stadium (11 Jul 2015)
dot.gif
31 disps (19 kicks 12 hballs) and 6 marks in Rd 14 11-pt win over Carlton at Etihad Stadium (4 Jul 2015)
dot.gif
27 disps (13 kicks 14 hballs), 5 marks and 9 tackles in Rd 13 6-pt win over St Kilda at Etihad Stadium (27 Jun 2015)
dot.gif
35 disps (14 kicks 21 hballs), 6 marks and 4 tackles in Rd 12 72-pt win over Brisbane at Etihad Stadium (20 Jun 2015)
dot.gif
31 disps (20 kicks 11 hballs), 5 marks and 8 tackles in Rd 10 38-pt loss to Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval (6 Jun 2015)

Kid is a freak.
Different player to Gaff, but his numbers are quickly catching up. Whilst Macrae is stronger as a contested player, he is yet to be tagged like Gaff, who first struggled and can now get 30++ with close checking. The other difference is Gaff's footskills are elite. His short kicking forward of centre is a weapon

Different player to Gaff, but his numbers are quickly catching up. Whilst Macrae is stronger as a contested player, he is yet to be tagged like Gaff, who first struggled and can now get 30++ with close checking. The other difference is Gaff's footskills are elite. His short kicking forward of centre is a weapon
Yup it took Gaff a little while but he is clearly an absolute gun.

I would've thought that Gaff is very likely to be AA this year and, as such, is the best of the three for 2015.
Yeah dont think you could disagree with that. Macrae is quietly putting together a ripper season though. His start to his career has been pretty remarkable to say the least yet he never gets brought up in the talk about our best young kids.

Yeah dont think you could disagree with that. Macrae is quietly putting together a ripper season though. His start to his career has been pretty remarkable to say the least yet he never gets brought up in the talk about our best young kids.

Perhaps testament to how good your other kids are travelling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A couple of years down the track and all three are very useful footballers still.

Macrae a slightly different role with more contested ball and less inside 50s/scoreboard impact but all three are class at their best.

Smith for me. Probably doesn't rack up as many possesions as the other 2, but when he gets it he's very damaging. Lightning quick and kicks it a long way

Smith is 28. Gaff is 25. Macrae is 22.

The only reason you wouldn't have Macrae in front is his lack of offensive capabilities and goal kicking, which admittedly is a pretty big reason. He seems to only kick goals when prelims need winning.

Back