Andrew Gaff V Reece Conca

Gaff v Conca

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I haven't seen enough of Conca to comment. But it should be taken into account that Gaff is now playing with a hard tag every week. He's starting to learn to break them, but when free he dominates.
Racks up heaps of solid possessions and good inside 50 delivery.

His major downside is he only has a left foot.

Will point out that Conca is yet to complete a preseason due to injures. I reckon he will be a star, unfortunately David King agrees with me so I'm probably wrong

Gaff seems to be floating around the 70m mark from goal often, waiting to run it or be the link to full forward. I'd like to see him be a bit more inside the pack instead of forward of the ball.

Conca. Gaff is one of the softest players in the AFL and can't shake a tag. Seriously he makes Sidebottom look like one of the hard men of the AFL

Beaten the tag comfortably in the last 2 weeks against Hawthorn and Essendon. Has gone in hard everytime he's needed to this year and thrown his body on the line in finals so i don't really get the ''soft'' tag.

Beaten the tag comfortably in the last 2 weeks against Hawthorn and Essendon. Has gone in hard everytime he's needed to this year and thrown his body on the line in finals so i don't really get the ''soft'' tag.
Bro gaff is soft. But he's an outside player who weighs 40kg, what do people expect.

Beat the tag in the first half. Well held by Melksham from midway through the third

Would take Gaff

In the lead up to the draft, I really hoped Gaff would slip to us at pick 6 and was initially a bit underwhelmed we chose Conca. I can still remember some fans saying if Gaff ever wanted to come home, Conca could be put up for trade/swap with some kind of sweetener.

Conca though has impressed me with his attack on the ball and decision making (some people say he butchers the ball but I'm yet to see that). IMO, he will take Tuck's spot in the midfield as the prime ball winner. Has Tuck's fanatical attack on the ball but with better skills.

For now, I wouldn't trade him (haven't seen a lot of Gaff but given WC would want to strengthen their midfield, can't see them wanting to part with him either).

Both good young players but my bias says Conca :D

Conca, much more rounded player. If Concas kicking sharpens up he will be elite imo... inside outside player, hard body, great in traffic and importantly runs hard both ways and tackles hard

Gaff is hardly soft. Just slight.

Good poll. Both sets of supporters no doubt voting for their own player will ruin it though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gaff. I don't like what I've seen from Conca thus far while Gaff is already copping a hard tag each week at 20 years of age.

Gaff cops the tag because there is hardly anyone else worth whole tagging in there team, Priddis butchers the ball naturally and plays predominantly inside so really not worth while tagging, it's really between Shuey and Gaff and most teams these days run with 2 players that they can use to shut down a couple of opposition players, even if one is a mild tag.

It's a reason why players like Conca and Ellis don't cop the hard tags, because they either tag Cotchin or Deledio and our lower tier midfielders are left to do as they please.

Gaff cops the tag because there is hardly anyone else worth whole tagging in there team, Priddis butchers the ball naturally and plays predominantly inside so really not worth while tagging, it's really between Shuey and Gaff and most teams these days run with 2 players that they can use to shut down a couple of opposition players, even if one is a mild tag.

It's a reason why players like Conca and Ellis don't cop the hard tags, because they either tag Cotchin or Deledio and our lower tier midfielders are left to do as they please.
Shuey is tagged most weeks because he is our most damaging mid. Masten will be tagged soon.

Don't usually comment in these threads but Conca has surpassed Gaff this year due to his inside ability.

Both are B graders at the moment.

Right now they are fairly even it probably comes down to which type of midfielder you need. If you need a link up outside player that can run all day you would take Gaff. If an inside midfielder who has some pace is your highest priority then you would go Conca.

I'd probably take Conca myself because I feel he has a bit more hurt factor when he plays well. However this could easily change in about 6 games time because there really isn't much to use as basis to prefer one over the other.

You would probably take Gaff on performance, but Conca wins his own ball and isn't as soft, so actually I go with him despite his weaknesses
Gaff isn't soft, he's just built like a stick insect

Back