Toast Andrew Gaff - Update: Re-signed for 2017 & 2018!

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 20, 2007
AFL Club
West Coast
He is having some sort of season.

#1 Uncontested possessions in the league (he plays on the wing, its his job to get the free ball)
Averaging 29 possessions (6th in league)
Disposing at 73% efficiency (only Dylan Shiel has higher in top 10)

All this from a guy that is only 22 years of age
At this stage, i'd say he would be in All Australian calculations.
Initially I was worried that Gaff wearing the number 3 may not be able to live up to expectations of those that wore it before him. Im starting to think he will do fine

He is having some sort of season.

#1 Uncontested possessions in the league (he plays on the wing, its his job to get the free ball)
Averaging 29 possessions (6th in league)
Disposing at 73% efficiency (only Dylan Shiel has higher in top 10)

All this from a guy that is only 22 years of age
At this stage, i'd say he would be in All Australian calculations.
Initially I was worried that Gaff wearing the number 3 may not be able to live up to expectations of those that wore it before him. Im starting to think he will do fine

Not once, not never was I worried about our man Gaffy... Run run run run, get ball, deliver to team mates ****. Hes got a bit of a hard edge to him now also, seen a few good marks and hardballs this year. If he could start slotting a few that would be all i could say other than that looks a lock for our top 5 B&F. One of the hardest runners in the afl.

So glad to see this thread. Has been an unsung hero this season amidst all the Yeo and Duggan circle jerking (quite rightly I might add).

Been a beast, long may it continue. Work rate!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFLCA PLAYER OF THE YEAR LEADERBOARD
90 - Nat Fyfe (Fremantle)
61 - Dan Hannebery (Swans)
47 - Matt Priddis (West Coast)
45 - Scott Pendlebury (Collingwood)
43 - Dylan Shiel (GWS)
42 - David Armitage (St Kilda)
37 - Todd Goldstein (North Melbourne)
36 - Andrew Gaff (West Coast)
35 - Luke Parker (Swans)
32 - Shane Edwards (Richmond)

Having a great year. Robbo was pumping up his tyres in the Herald Sun this week too - said he should be firmly in AA discussions.

Having a great year. Robbo was pumping up his tyres in the Herald Sun this week too - said he should be firmly in AA discussions.

Robbo is obviously a gaff fan- he's been mentioned in his "likes" section several times this year.

He should be in AA calculations, would not be surprised to see him in the initial squad. iMO, if he keeps this form up and can up his goal kicking to more than 0.5 goals a game, he would be very close to getting a spot in the final 22.

Not bad for a 23 year old. :)

Robbo is obviously a gaff fan- he's been mentioned in his "likes" section several times this year.

He should be in AA calculations, would not be surprised to see him in the initial squad. iMO, if he keeps this form up and can up his goal kicking to more than 0.5 goals a game, he would be very close to getting a spot in the final 22.

Not bad for a 23 year old. :)
Believe that at the moment he is top 20 in the AFL

Amazing that he's having such a good year but seemingly flying under the radar on here at the same time. Always going to struggle to get media attention (although for now it seems he's doing just fine in that regard), but his weekly output has become an expectation that we take for granted almost. Good on him, I've been very critical of him in the past for being soft and not running back well, but he's done excellently this year.

Amazing that he's having such a good year but seemingly flying under the radar on here at the same time. Always going to struggle to get media attention (although for now it seems he's doing just fine in that regard), but his weekly output has become an expectation that we take for granted almost. Good on him, I've been very critical of him in the past for being soft and not running back well, but he's done excellently this year.
Yep, have seen him take quite a few marks in defense as well as rebounding from the defensive 50 or at least being that outlet pass

I think we were a bit spoiled by Gaff's second season.

In his first season he played a few games as the sub and looked like a promising first year player, then in his second he became a prodigious kick getter and was top 5 in our B&F.

His 3rd season he got tagged more and struggled, and last year started to improve. This year he's started like an absolute train and brings his own footy to most games.

Fans / commentators like to see young players continuously improve over time until they hit their peak and don't like to see them stagnate or go backwards early. Gaff went downhill from his outstanding 2nd season and is now playing his best footy, but he's only just about to turn 23 and will play his 100th game in the next few weeks. A lot of footy ahead of him, hopefully all at West Coast.

If he can improve his core strength and break through more tackles he'll be A class. Hopefully he has some physical development left in him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back