Toast Andrew Gaff - Update: Re-signed for 2017 & 2018!

Remove this Banner Ad

His big weakness was being susceptible to the tag, and it looks like he has burned that clean out of this game. Mind you, whole midfield had problems with that after the retirement of Kerr, but we're now seeing signs of many players standing up to the pressure.

Has looked the goods from the moment he set foot in the place. Unfathomable the criticism on him where - as a 20 year old - he was forced to take a tag. That was nothing more than a backhand compliment to the young fella and indictment on our senior midfielders. Now with improved structures around him, a bit more meat on his bones and other mids for the opposition to worry about - he's killing it.

Pretty big improvement, goes much harder at the ball, but getting a lot more uncontested ball, doesn't seem to be tagged as much as he used to?

Yes he is being tagged most weeks, he has just found out how to beat them now.
Started last ten games of last year, he was clearly our best mid, and realised he could beat the tag.
Has also adapted his game getting some good contested possessions these days, and starting in the centre
square.

He still can't kick on his right, and his lack of any inside game will hold him back from entering that top echelon of players.

But every team needs their outside runners, and he's up there with the best in the league.

He is also developing a bit of hardness this year, which is great to see. He is taking the odd contested mark and putting his body on the line.

He still can't kick on his right, and his lack of any inside game will hold him back from entering that top echelon of players.

But every team needs their outside runners, and he's up there with the best in the league.

He is also developing a bit of hardness this year, which is great to see. He is taking the odd contested mark and putting his body on the line.

He needs another offseason of weight training and then I think we'll see him sporting a similar bod to Masten, which will allow him to ride the physical contact more. Still believe he needs to work on his right foot more, but he really is a "death by a thousand cuts" player who consistently takes what's given. Not sure where he'd be on the value chart in that sense, he'll never be highlight material, but but there's definitely a lot to like. Struggle to think of a similar player to him...

He needs another offseason of weight training and then I think we'll see him sporting a similar bod to Masten, which will allow him to ride the physical contact more. Still believe he needs to work on his right foot more, but he really is a "death by a thousand cuts" player who consistently takes what's given. Not sure where he'd be on the value chart in that sense, he'll never be highlight material, but but there's definitely a lot to like. Struggle to think of a similar player to him...
He'll be an upgrade on a Stanton

He has flown under the radar this year. He is just consistently good. It'd be massive if he could get AA this year, same with Priddis.

... and i wanted him to be traded :$:$:$:$:$:$

He'll be an upgrade on a Stanton
Yeah, not really. Stanton is more of a front runner - Gaff is pretty consistent and runs out 4 quarters, always working into space and getting open. He consistently kicks 20-35m to the open man, runs to receive or just keeps running to the next spot. He's not really a goal kicker, long incisive kick or run and carry player.

Yeah, not really. Stanton is more of a front runner - Gaff is pretty consistent and runs out 4 quarters, always working into space and getting open. He consistently kicks 20-35m to the open man, runs to receive or just keeps running to the next spot. He's not really a goal kicker, long incisive kick or run and carry player.

I'd say the same thing about Stanton except he's not quite as good a kick

Predraft Gaff was likened to Dane Swan and will likely evolve into a similar player in a few more years .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our strength and conditioning program has been miguided or just not good enough towards the end of Woosha's reign. I think it is something that Simpson has been addressing since his arrival, it just takes time to see the fruits of it.

Gaff and Masten have been noticeably better in contests this year - still losing plenty though. I think Gaff, in particular, will continue to get a bit stronger with another pre-season or two.

So unimpressed have I been with Masten's contested game this year that I daresay Gaff has gone past him in that respect.

Really? Masto's not afraid to stick his head over the ball anymore or physically contest. This is a huge improvement on the past. Gaff tries, but still too small.

Really? Masto's not afraid to stick his head over the ball anymore or physically contest. This is a huge improvement on the past. Gaff tries, but still too small.
I just think that Gaff has been able to ride the bumps and tackles marginally better this year (he has definitely managed the tagging better). Maybe Masten's poor showing against the dons is sticking in my mind, but it seems he is unable to make any clean disposal when in the contest. Both of them struggle to stick tackles, that's for sure.

Heard an interesting stat on pure footy today, masten has played 85% gametime on the wing. He has not attended one centre bounce this season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just think that Gaff has been able to ride the bumps and tackles marginally better this year (he has definitely managed the tagging better). Maybe Masten's poor showing against the dons is sticking in my mind, but it seems he is unable to make any clean disposal when in the contest. Both of them struggle to stick tackles, that's for sure.

Yeah theyre both pretty subpar tacklers. However Gaff is clearly the superior outside mid this season but Masten is the more versatile of the two in that he can play as an inside mid. Gaff has no contested game whatsoever making him somewhat one dimensional but that's not an issue when youre one of the best in the league at your specific role within the team.

Good to see Gaff rating well in the AFLCA MVP too.

Gaff's inside game has been building, in progression with his frame and maturity as well.

Only 23 and won't peak till 25+.

Once he gets more confident on the inside, will be a very complete player.

Heard an interesting stat on pure footy today, masten has played 85% gametime on the wing. He has not attended one centre bounce this season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's another fun fact, out of Mastens 12 kicks last week, 3 were effective o_O Interesting considering he's apparently playing off a wing and would have space.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back