Past Andrew Raines (2009-2014)

Remove this Banner Ad

No pain, no Raines
5 July 2013
Sam Lord

Andrew Raines has been dealt his fair share of pain throughout his AFL journey.

An unfortunate spate of injuries limited Raines to just 56 games in six seasons with Richmond from 2004-2009, and left him wondering whether his career was destined be just another ‘hard luck’ story.

“But luckily Brisbane showed the faith in me and offered me a good deal to come up here.” Raines was traded back home to Queensland at the end of 2009, and has since gone on to play in 54 of a possible 79 games in three and a half seasons with the Lions.

He is not only enjoying his time on the field, but is also passionate about promoting the code in a non-traditional AFL State. “I’m a passionate Queenslander. I love playing football up here. I love the local crowd,” he said. “To try and help promote the game is obviously pretty close to me because I remember growing up in a tough football environment.”

Raines_Celebrate-article.jpg

Absence of Black has helped Lions
19 July 2013
Greg Johnston

Brisbane tagger Andrew Raines feels the side's younger midfielders have had their development fast tracked by the absence of veteran Simon Black this season. Black has played just seven games so far in 2013, with his start ruined as he recovered from knee surgery, and he has missed the Lions' past two matches with a groin complaint.

While Raines concedes Black's absence is a blow for his team, he feels the younger midfielders will benefit long-term from having to pick up the slack. "It is disappointing but at the same time it gives another young group the chance to step up," Raines said. "To fill Blacky's shoes has been exciting for the young boys, there's been some great talent come through in the midfield and we've built that up."

00157780-image.jpg

Lions ready for next step in AFL

Raines, likely to mark up on Nathan Jones in Darwin, also stressed the Lions couldn't lift their gaze with games against Port Adelaide, St Kilda, Richmond, GWS, Bulldogs and Geelong to follow. "A fair bit of confidence is a good thing but we're just trying to maintain consistency in our training and bring that into our game," he said, adding the Demons had noticeably lifted their competitiveness under Neil Craig.

"We're going to have to be wary of that and combat them with contested football." Moloney will be missing for Brisbane due to a calf injury and Simon Black (knee) also remains on the sidelines, while Melbourne have young gun Jack Viney back to bolster their midfield. "It is disappointing but at the same time it gives another young group the chance to step up," Raines said of the Lions' sidelined on-ballers.

"At my age, nothing's guaranteed", says Lion Raines

ANDREW Raines admits he was a little jolted when coach Justin Leppitsch told him the Brisbane Lions would not be playing a regular tagger in 2014. It was a role Raines had made his own over the previous three seasons, and one he had done as well as most in the AFL. But under Leppitsch's new direction, he's made it clear he wants versatile, multi-dimensional players – so Raines had to change. Not to mention the fact the coach wanted to play youngsters.

It wasn't quite a case of teaching an old dog new tricks – Raines is only 28 – but more retraining the things he'd learnt as a pup. Raines spent the first five weeks of the season in the NEAFL, re-learning how to balance his game between attack and defence. He said while at first Leppitsch's message was a jolt, it didn't take long to change his mindset.

"I can understand where the club's at in terms of bringing a bit of youth in and seeing where the list's at," Raines said. "He (Leppitsch) said there's no real specific role as a tagger, but there might be times when we do it, so you've got to add these strings to your bow. "It gave me a challenge. A lot of people haven't seen my offensive game, particularly in recent times because I've been playing that (tagging) role, but deep down I know I can play that role."

Raines admitted that by playing so defensively over recent years, bad habits had crept into his game. "At my age, nothing's guaranteed. "I've seen a bit of the sliding doors and hopefully I've got a bit more to give. Don't think 'this could be my last chance', maybe harness that and play with a bit more freedom in your mindset."

Bit of a similar story to Robbie Copeland later in his career when Troy Selwood took his tagging spot. Extended his career by a year or two by reinventing himself as a medium defensive forward who played on the oppositions best rebounding defender, but also had to add that goalkicking string to his bow in order to justify his selection. Just like Raines has to be a multi-phase contributor to exist in that midfield.

Nothing stays the same for long in footy and you have to admire the players who just accept the challenge when change knocks, rather than having a sook. Onya Rainsey! Hope he backs it up again tonight.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Poor coaching by Leppitsch to sub Raines off at 3/4 time against Essendon. Could have done with an extra experienced player out there in the last quarter. Great bump on Goddard alone would have kept him on the field if I were coaching. Put his body of the line to get the ball. We'll done Andrew Raines!

I think his days are probably numbered. Whereas Voss seemed to focus more on a player's effort, Leppitsch seems to be more about a player's decision making ability. And I don't think Raines has it in him to improve his nous to a level that will cement him in a Justin Leppitsch coached side.

Nah disagree. Raines did some good things and I don't think he should have been subbed off, nor do I think his career is over.

If you were looking for bad decision making tonight you could have looked no further than Sam Mayes, not Raines. I love Mayes but his 6 clangers were some of the worst I have seen for us this year, most under no direct pressure.

I think Leppa is way harsher on Raines than he his on some other players. He needs to get over any preconceptions he has and play Rainsey on what he is delivering and is capable of. So far he has been a huge boost to the team since coming back in. His run / hardness / experience just lifts all of the younger players around him.

Nah disagree. Raines did some good things and I don't think he should have been subbed off, nor do I think his career is over.

If you were looking for bad decision making tonight you could have looked no further than Sam Mayes, not Raines. I love Mayes but his 6 clangers were some of the worst I have seen for us this year, most under no direct pressure.

I think Leppa is way harsher on Raines than he his on some other players. He needs to get over any preconceptions he has and play Rainsey on what he is delivering and is capable of. So far he has been a huge boost to the team since coming back in. His run / hardness / experience just lifts all of the younger players around him.

Mayes had a shocker in the first half, but list management and even week to week selection decisions are made on a much bigger time frame. Mayes' future is not in jeopardy because this was a rare occurrence. We can predict with a fairly high degree of certainty that he's going to play much better in both the short term and the long term. But even when Raines is playing well his football instincts still aren't that flash. Whether Raines should or shouldn't be in the team - you have strong views LOTR, but that is not something I wanted to get into. I just don't think he is in Leppitsch's long term plans.

Outstanding post!
Zorko also had a poor game and while he got a bit of the ball in the last quarter, I lost count of his butchered disposals. I wonder if people will start to bang on about how Zorko murders the ball in the same way they do about Raines? Some people have a unnecessarily jaded view of Raines.

Mayes had a shocker in the first half, but list management and even week to week selection decisions are made on a much bigger time frame. Mayes' future is not in jeopardy because this was a rare occurrence. We can predict with a fairly high degree of certainty that he's going to play much better in both the short term and the long term. But even when Raines is playing well his football instincts still aren't that flash.
My point exactly ... Poor coaching by Leppitsch! Mayes is having a shocker and he is not subbed off, while Raines is doing well, is getting plenty of the ball and demonstrating his physical commitment and he is subbed off. How did keeping a player who was having a shocker on while taking a player doing well off, advance our chances of winning?

I would have supported Rainsy coming back for one more year as a mentor to the fleet of young players at the Club, ultimate professional is certainly an apt description an excellent example for young players to see the type of dedication and commitment to make it

Will announce his retirement soon. Zac O'Brien's instagram post:
zac_oby@thedrip_feed going out in style, his last recovery.. The ultimate professional #robot #magnet

Wouldnt that be the last recovery for the RESERVES? So not completely 100% concrete.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back