Past Andrew Raines (2009-2014)

Full Wingspan

Premiership Player
Oct 3, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Raines officially departs. Thanks for your services mate, while never an exceptionally talented or gifted football, you had a good career at the club and provided a fine example to the younger players as to how to professionally go about it. When playing as a tagger you were very effective, being one of the fewer players who could actually limit Gary Ablett Jnr's influence on games.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2014-08-27/raines-departs-lions

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Raines keen to play on after leaving Lions

ANDREW Raines believes he has plenty of good years left in him and is hopeful of extending his 11-year career after the Brisbane Lions waved him goodbye. While the Lions officially cut ties with the 28-year-old this week, Raines says coach Justin Leppitsch told him two months ago he was not in the club's future plans. But rather than kid himself with a retirement announcement, the midfielder wants to prolong his career at a third club and says he has plenty to offer.

Raines said he held no grudges towards the Lions and loved his five years at the club. "I appreciated Leppa's honesty and he was up front with me about it," he said. "I felt it wasn't a form thing, but more circumstantial with where the list was going. "I'd like to thank the footy club for giving me the opportunity to come back and play in my home state. "I've made some amazing friendships, friends for life with a few of my teammates. "But now I hope I can continue my career somewhere else."

Classy and professional to the bitter end. All the best Rainsey, no doubt he's had a profound and lasting impact on our youthful list in terms of educating them on the meticulous and professional lengths one has to dedicate themselves to make it in the AFL.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Raines and Lions go separate ways

BRISBANE and tagger Andrew Raines have parted ways. The former Richmond player is keen to play on in 2015 but there is no place for him at the Gabba with the Lions focused on developing their youth. Brisbane football manager Dean Warren said Raines had been a true professional in his five seasons at the club. “He has consistently set a fantastic example to our younger players of just what it takes to be a professional AFL player, and we wish him all the very best for whatever his future holds,” Warren said.

I heard a whisper from a pretty good source that Collingwood may throw him a lifeline for a season; western royboy have you heard anything similar.
I think Raines would star at Collingwood.

Sad to see him go but inevitable with the path we've chosen. Even though he butchered the ball at times he played his role in the team really well most of the time. Hopefully he gets picked up elsewhere.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Gold Coast considers delisted Brisbane tagger Andrew Raines as rookie selection

THE SUNS are attempting football’s version of keeping friends close and enemies closer by throwing delisted Lion Andrew Raines a career lifeline. Raines played the best football of his 67-game career for Brisbane in QClashes against Gold Coast, where he tagged Suns skipper Gary Ablett. The Suns do not have a designated tagger and Raines’ record against Ablett is as good as any player in the competition. Danny Stanley filled the tagging role under axed Gold Coast coach Guy McKenna but he is not an elite runner and was limited in the types of opponents he could play on.

The Suns primary list is full, with the addition of the minimum three picks they must take at next month’s draft, so Raines’ hopes lay on the rookie list. It is understood he has attracted the interest of several NEAFL clubs who could compete with the Suns financially. But the attraction with the Suns is that he is a strong chance to add to the 123 AFL games he played for Brisbane and Richmond. The 28-year-old lives on the Gold Coast and is said to be an elite trainer and ultra-professional who would be a positive influence on the Suns’ young list.

Sincerely hope Raines gets another crack at the Suns.

Back