Andrew Swallow - Talk about Quiet Leaders

Remove this Banner Ad

From what I gather from the OP this is supposed to be a discussion about leadership using Swallow as an example. Not necessarily discussing Swallows ability/lack of North leadership.

No matter who is appointed the captain of any club the one attribute they must possess is the respect of every single person at the club; be it the boot studder or the president. If they say anything, be it loud and boisterous in front of the group or a quiet word one on one, then whoever they are speaking to listen and accept it. Usually this respect is borne out of the actions on the field. What they do around the club is important as well but ultimately its what happens on the field that counts. Players will be inspired through their captains actions, whether it be the absolute sublime (Judd, Carey, Ablett etc), the act of being the 'first over the wall' if you will (ie. Hodge and this is where I think Swallow fits), or the utter determination and will to succeed (ie Maxwell).

He does his job well, however players of his talent are a dime a dozen. He's an ordinary kick, lacks pace, doesn't make good decisions and doesn't hit the scoreboard. However, he's as tough as nails and has an almost telepathic ability to position himself correctly in stoppage situations to rack up clearances. With modern footy being so congested, his clearances have made the difference in a few close games this season and North wouldn't have made the finals without him imo.

Seems like a top bloke. Would love him at the Tigers.

More of an introspective-type leader (similar to Cotch) which can be challenging to get right, particularly on the footy field. But as he learns to come out of his shell with experience the team will benefit from that self-awareness which they may not get from a more out-spoken type.

From what I gather from the OP this is supposed to be a discussion about leadership using Swallow as an example. Not necessarily discussing Swallows ability/lack of North leadership.

I'd argue that discussing the need (not directly, but North as an example) for a number of leaders and not just leaving it to one player who has his own style (i.e. Swallow, who from the outside is a quiet leader), especially in finals when your club needs to back up a good season, is relevant.

I have had concerns about Swallow's leadership before, largely because he is kind of quiet and reserved. When we were losing those close ones last year and giving up leads I was like "Surely onfield leadership can address this".

Now though we have addressed that so Spitta must get some credit. Also, watching the final stages of the Adelaide game, when Spitta just willed himself to win three consecutive contests on the wing in the dying minute and a half and snuff out any Crows hopes was truly inspirational. A lot of the players commented on that after the game, showing it had a real effect.

Good on Spitta. He's worked tremendously hard on his game - Laidley dropped him for a year and he only got his chance again when boom recruit Liam Anthony hurt his foot in the last training session before a game in Rd1 in 2008 (or 09?) and he's never looked back.

Back to his best now after that horrible injury. Turned down a crapload from GWS to stay with us (good called Greg Denham) too. Onya Spitta.

I believe good leaders should be vocal. Good communication skills are of utmost importance in any leadership positions. This is actually the concern I have with Pendlebury. He's the best player at Collingwood, but is he the best choice as captain? He's just not vocal enough for my liking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another Geelong flog, I see a pattern here.

We can't even discuss our captain one of the best midfielders in the game?
Yet it's fine to make a 100 page thread about Heppell or that finger twirling flog Motlop?
Ok rightio I see how it is.
I have no problem with a swallow thread, it's relevant because he's an elite player that every side would have.

Back on topic, Swallow May lead differently to Other leaders, Selwood, Hodge, Pav, Pendles etc, but it doesn't make him Any worse when it comes to leadership. Clearly the best man for the job at the kangas.

It's been an interesting month, many have been reminded why he won three B&F's in four years prior to his injury.

Will be close to our most important player on Saturday night, he and Watson likely to go head to head.

Had to check to see if he had any AA's. Surprised that he hadn't. Gun!

I believe good leaders should be vocal. Good communication skills are of utmost importance in any leadership positions. This is actually the concern I have with Pendlebury. He's the best player at Collingwood, but is he the best choice as captain? He's just not vocal enough for my liking.

Agree that communication skills are key to being a good leader. However, one doesn't need to be loud to have good communication skills. He may be a quiet but often communicator (if that makes sense) rather than noticeably loud.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back