Andy Zaltzman

Remove this Banner Ad

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Not sure if you are aware of this guy. He's a British comedian/ comedy writer with a pretty good resume, and also a cricket tragic. He has always referenced English cricket in his stand-up and radio shows in the past. For the last 12 months or so he has had a gig on Cricinfo providing blogs - both written and video - primarily about England.

Like all comedy, it's a personal thing. I like his style and I enjoy his ramblings. Worth a look (particularly if you enjoy seeing a tortured English fan - and who doesn't?).

Here's his recent take on the just completed England-Sri Lanka series. I particularly like his comment on Sam Robson - 'All the hallmarks of the classic English Top-order batsman - right down to the Southern Hemisphere accent'.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/content/video_audio/756273.html

You can search his blogs easily through Cricinfo (I think his written blog is The Confectionary Stall).

I really enjoy Zaltzman's stuff, was a bit wary when he moved from a much more comedic approach to a light hearted statistical analysis style on his blog but the change has worked well I reckon.

Plus, like you said, tortured English fan, what's not to love?

He's pretty good, have heard quite a lot of him in recent years on shows like Rory Bremner's One Question Quiz and sometimes on the The Now Show. Cricket tragic who sometimes pairs up with Paul Sinha. Usually a good sign of a show if he is on it.

Sorry - a bit late with this.

Andy Zaltzman has a podcast that he updates after every day of these ashes. If you search for 'Urncast' you'll find it. Always worth a listen.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back