Annual Anzac Eve clash between Melb & Rich

Remove this Banner Ad

I like the idea. As many have said, ANZAC day eve isn't a thing, so it's the perfect time to play some footy. We get an extra prime-time game without bastardizing the actual day itself.

.... plus it gives us a chance to trot out some more of those cheesy war analogies of 'players going into battle' etc.

Would be good to see two traditional powerhouses get the exposure they deserve.

Surely in this day and age "the exposure they deserve' should come down to results.

Not gunna lie, I was just wondering yesterday why, with their hard-on for Thursday night games, the AFL wouldn't roster one tonight before a public holiday?

This game would be a bitch to schedule around if Anzac Day falls on a Tuesday or Wednesday. But hey, why not?

I think the AFL would be glad of it when ANZAC day falls midweek, it would give them 6 teams to share the long/short breaks allowing them to fixture teams with similar intervals between games with a little more flexibility.

I think the AFL would be glad of it when ANZAC day falls midweek, it would give them 6 teams to share the long/short breaks allowing them to fixture teams with similar intervals between games with a little more flexibility.
It's workable. I'm wondering how long it is until they play out their fantasy of a game in every state on Anzac Day?

1x WA Derby
1x Showdown
1x QClash
1x Tasmanian game
1x NZ
1x Ess-Coll
1x Etihad
1x SCG

If you have the Melbourne-Richmond game the night before you could fit it all in.

Stuff the TV ratings off for the week and just go the whole hog.

It's workable. I'm wondering how long it is until they play out their fantasy of a game in every state on Anzac Day?

1x WA Derby
1x Showdown
1x QClash
1x Tasmanian game
1x NZ
1x Ess-Coll
1x Etihad
1x SCG

If you have the Melbourne-Richmond game the night before you could fit it all in.

Stuff the TV ratings off for the week and just go the whole hog.

You speak sacrilege! That is the one thing the AFL would never do.

I know your name is Ancient Tiger but I don't think what happened 37 years ago is particularly relevant to today! I don't mind the idea of an ANZAC Day eve match, but others have said it should be on ANZAC Day at Etihad and I was just pointing out that this has been trialled in the past and it failed miserably.
Anything that happens in one's lifetime should be relevant. It is easily in mine and so is relevant to me. Just because you are younger doesn't mean that you should be ageist! Believe it or not, you will be old one day too!

Hows Eddie cracking the sads and then claiming it has nothing to do with Collingwood!

Give me a spell mate it has everything to do with taking away any lime light from Collingwood. I can't see what a problem is with a game the day before Anzac day. Then he took the piss saying Richmond v Melbourne 'blockbuster'...well we have a massive fan base and how are Melbourne meant to get anywhere financially if clubs like Collingwood throw a hissy fit every time they try and get a big night high rating free to air game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hows Eddie cracking the sads and then claiming it has nothing to do with Collingwood!

Give me a spell mate it has everything to do with taking away any lime light from Collingwood. I can't see what a problem is with a game the day before Anzac day. Then he took the piss saying Richmond v Melbourne 'blockbuster'...well we have a massive fan base and how are Melbourne meant to get anywhere financially if clubs like Collingwood throw a hissy fit every time they try and get a big night high rating free to air game.

Your massive fan base didn't exactly turn up last time the AFL gave you an ANZAC Day match. Why would this be different?

I hope that you do realise that 25% of the people who attend only attend because it is an event and have no interest in the match itself?

ANZAC Day has become an event people want to be at not a football match people want to watch, create other games around it celebrating the ANZAC spirit and the event will dwindle and the crowd pulled will return to a level benefiting both clubs realistic crowd levels. If you doubt this then ask why when there is a return match later in the season does it draw 20-30,000 less?

Bingo. I know several people who support neither Collingwood or Essendon, but got to the match each and every year. They see it as a great day to get pissed and enjoy the event. Anzac Day is no longer about remembering those who gave their lives for the betterment of this nation. People see it as a day off from work, a day to get drunk with friends and watch some footy, which I find sad, really. Whilst I think that Anzac Day football COULD be a good thing, I think over the past decade it has detracted from the spirit of the day especially in Melbourne, where people think about the Football first, and the essence of Anzac Day last. Completely wrong, in my opinion.

Eddie is all for spouting about Equalisation, until it detracts from his precious Collingwood. Melbourne are in a spot of bother, financially and media wise. Why shouldn't a bigger drawing club play an annual fixture, to give them exposure to the media, and a solid income? Everyone is bickering over who gets the Good Friday game, Collingwood included. It's nice to see two clubs step away from the pack, and create something unique.

Also, those saying Anzac Eve is not a thing, look up the definition of eve. It means the day or period of time immediately before an event or occasion. BEFORE AN OCASSION. Anzac Day is an occasion, so by it's very definition, the night before Anzac Day is, in fact, Anzac Eve is a thing.

Bingo. I know several people who support neither Collingwood or Essendon, but got to the match each and every year. They see it as a great day to get pissed and enjoy the event. Anzac Day is no longer about remembering those who gave their lives for the betterment of this nation. People see it as a day off from work, a day to get drunk with friends and watch some footy, which I find sad, really. Whilst I think that Anzac Day football COULD be a good thing, I think over the past decade it has detracted from the spirit of the day especially in Melbourne, where people think about the Football first, and the essence of Anzac Day last. Completely wrong, in my opinion.

Unfortunately that's not Melbourne, that's the current generation regardless of the nation. You really think there's many folks remembering our veterans on Memorial Day over here?

I hope that you do realise that 25% of the people who attend only attend because it is an event and have no interest in the match itself?

ANZAC Day has become an event people want to be at not a football match people want to watch, create other games around it celebrating the ANZAC spirit and the event will dwindle and the crowd pulled will return to a level benefiting both clubs realistic crowd levels. If you doubt this then ask why when there is a return match later in the season does it draw 20-30,000 less?

I hope that you realise that these neutrals are buying tickets some / many of which genuine Collingwood and Essendon supporters would like to purchase? General admin (reserved seat) tickets sell out almost immediately after going on sale - personally I haven't been able to get a GA ticket for the last three years.

If these 25% of people are only interested in the event and not the match itself why then do they not leave after the last post? I don't see 20,000+ empty seats by the end of the first quarter? The reason it is such an event is because the Collingwood and Essendon supporters have made it one, the atmosphere that 85,000+ genuine supporters create at the match - there's plenty of other ANZAC day events for neutrals to go to that DON'T involve a football match.

It's also a bit mischievous to suggest that the entire difference in attendance between ANZAC Day and the return match is all about the neutrals - us club supporters are obviously more inclined to attend on ANZAC Day rather than the return due to the event nature just like the neutrals are.

I hope that you realise that these neutrals are buying tickets some / many of which genuine Collingwood and Essendon supporters would like to purchase? General admin (reserved seat) tickets sell out almost immediately after going on sale - personally I haven't been able to get a GA ticket for the last three years.

If these 25% of people are only interested in the event and not the match itself why then do they not leave after the last post? I don't see 20,000+ empty seats by the end of the first quarter? The reason it is such an event is because the Collingwood and Essendon supporters have made it one, the atmosphere that 85,000+ genuine supporters create at the match - there's plenty of other ANZAC day events for neutrals to go to that DON'T involve a football match.

It's also a bit mischievous to suggest that the entire difference in attendance between ANZAC Day and the return match is all about the neutrals - us club supporters are obviously more inclined to attend on ANZAC Day rather than the return due to the event nature just like the neutrals are.
So you agree totally with what I am saying. ANZAC Day is big not because it is Collingwood v Essendon but because of it being an event. You could have any two of the big 6 Victorian clubs membership wise (Collingwood, Hawthorn, Richmond, Essendon, Carlton & Geelong) and they will pull exactly the same crowd.

So you agree totally with what I am saying. ANZAC Day is big not because it is Collingwood v Essendon but because of it being an event. You could have any two of the big 6 Victorian clubs membership wise (Collingwood, Hawthorn, Richmond, Essendon, Carlton & Geelong) and they will pull exactly the same crowd.

Maybe now. But building the Anzac Day game to what it is today has everything to do with the size, resources and popularity of Collingwood and Essendon.

The thing with events is, if it aint broke you dont fix it. Would you replace the F1 GP at Albert Park with NASCAR?

Maybe now. But building the Anzac Day game to what it is today has everything to do with the size, resources and popularity of Collingwood and Essendon.
Could have easily been Collingwood and Carlton or Collingwood and Richmond.
The fact is there is nothing else to do on Anzac day. I know many Bomber supporters that only go to this game for the entire year!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back