Another Chanel 7 Whinge Thread

Apparently, horse race callers in the USA are using the English language, you would never have guessed, barely intelligible drawls and mumbles
There's only one yank gg call that was even remotely interesting and it was the guy who called the incomparable Secretariat in the 73 Belmont stakes.

Sent from my GT-S5300 using Tapatalk 2

Wild Kangaroo

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Fitzroy, AS Roma, Italy, Melb Storm
Huddo's good. Cometti and McAvaney can both actually call but get distracted, Bruce with his hysterics and Dennis with himself. Maguire is also competent.

Actually McGuire is very good, does bring excitement in his commentary, Cometti good.
Bad Derwayne Russell very very poor, Basil Fawlty oops Simplis, Gerhard Healy very bad commentators.

My favourite commentator is actually Bruce.

I used to hate him so much. Then one day like a the change of a light switch I just loved him. I still find him as annoying as BT every now and then (remember when he was calling our goals last season against Geelong 'catlike'?) but I just can't believe that people can hate a man for getting excited about the footy he's calling. It's genuine excitement, he's not putting on a performance like BT. Admittedly it gets a little homoerotic every now and then but hey have you ever read the North board? The amount of references to a desire to 'boof' Ziebell or Cunners is a little bit disconcerting. All it is his deep love of footy coming out. How can anyone hate him for that!?!
The numerous 'touch Wood' comments ... :p

LT Smash

Premiership Player
Jul 30, 2011
Ogdenville
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What annoys me is hearing these peanuts road testing future advertising catch phrases such as "miracle on grass" or "football is the ultimate reality TV."

Give us a spell and just call the game.

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I couldn't bare watching replays of our previous premierships, not without hearing Tom Harley's perfectly toned voice. "If he kicks this for a goal, it will be worth 6 points. But if he doesnt, and he kicks it for a behind, it will be worth 1 point".
One of the worlds great mathematicians is our Tom.

Jeremy Jordan

All Australian
May 2, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What annoys me is hearing these peanuts road testing future advertising catch phrases such as "miracle on grass" or "football is the ultimate reality TV."

Give us a spell and just call the game.

Sh*t they have been spitting this line out of late. Embarrassing.

That Basil cat can GAGF as well. I fear the time in the future when i have to explain to my children why the f*** Basil commentated our great game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back