Anti-Football Media/General Public and Police Thread!

Which sport is more popular?

• Rugby

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Soccer

Votes: 13 81.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.theage.com.au/sport/socc...nts-due-to-fan-behaviour-20160208-gmol3n.html

Wanderers issued a show cause asking the to explain why they shouldn't face sanctions - so it looks like the FFA are going to act on it.

I know it's a lot to lose when they're on top of the table. But having showed some good leadership back in November, it'd send such a strong message if the Wanderers management came out and said "you know what? We deserve to be fined and to lose points. We said we would deal with this rogue element of people whom we stress are not supporters, and whom are not welcome at our games - and we've failed. If we have to lose points and be punished financially for those idiots to finally take this issue seriously, then we accept whatever punishment the FFA hands out."

THAT would be leadership.

gallop should just repeat whatever he said when he so thoroughly offended the poor supporter groups last year. that way they can have a little tanty again and boycott the games, and only the people who actually want to go there for the soccer will go. it was probably the most effective way yet of stopping flares going off at games without impacting the clubs or innocent supporters, even if it wasnt really intended.

While I understand the need to stamp the flares out, I bloody love them, Adds so much to the atmosphere, Nothing like a loud passionate supporter base singing though a haze of smoke.

Get into a maritime emergancy and do it legally

Yeah umm no. Ive been in the thick of it coughing my lungs out and not being able to see the game.
Flares add nothing. They actually take away from it.
Give me the singing etc but not the pyro.

As a football fan, and Victory member I can't understand why the people in the Terraces let this behaviour continue. If, as they say they are, lovers of the club then the thought to let off a flare wouldn't even enter their mindset. Bringing heat (pardon the pun) onto the club and its administrators, putting the players in an uncomfortable situation when questioned in the media and stunting the growth of both the club and the league.

Wouldn't they rather have an extra thousand people join them and chant and sing and add to the wonderful spectacle they put on 95% of the time? Wouldn't they rather have all opposition teams have a traveling contingent similar to the Wanderers on Saturday night (minus the mindless flogs) and be able to "compete" in the stands for who is the most passionate? I would love to join them but I would never do it in the current climate, not so much for the fear of my own safety but for the fear of a flare landing at my feet and potentially being banned for life and having a criminal conviction.

It just doesn't make any sense, I would love for the leaders of the supporter groups to come forward (like they did with stadium bans) and say it wont be tolerated any more but their actions seem to suggest that they think they're bigger than the club and bigger than the game.

By doing this though, you aren't punishing the guilty parties - if I'm not able to attend Victory games cos some other prick is lighting flares, that's not particularly fair.

That said... I do think invoking the Wanderers' suspended points deduction is a good idea. While it's still punishing the team instead of the relevant people, I think that's the surest and quickest way to get people to stop the "protection racket" around those who rip flares.

I also agree that there's some merit to banning away supporters - but I don't quite know how you implement that. Although I guess it could be done quite easily if we just wanted to ban Wanderers fans from Victory games. Most of the ground is sold to members anyway, so I guess you can make them "members only" games. But Victory/AAMI park is really the only team/location where this will work.

They do it in every other country, they can do it in Australia. That is how you will stop them. Taking points from a club at this point in time is not a smart idea. Football in Australia is hanging on by its finger nails. Melbourne Victory, the other mob, and Sydney FC are the only clubs not experiencing financial problems. The FFA is surviving thanks to money they rake in from Junior players. The cost to play football in Australia is a joke. Sooner or later the money men supporting football will walk away as they will deem the game too risky from a financial point of view. Worst still one day someone is going to get seriously injured, and when this happens the law suits will be coming from every direction and the AFL paid media will ensure that they deflect attention from their three years of drugs and Essendon.

It just doesn't make any sense, I would love for the leaders of the supporter groups to come forward (like they did with stadium bans) and say it wont be tolerated any more but their actions seem to suggest that they think they're bigger than the club and bigger than the game.

when the afl or more to the point port adelaide power, saw there was a problem with bad behaviour, the club launched tv ads everywhere saying to barrack but dont swear etc. one of the wakelin twins featured.

id like to see similar ads made by each club featuring prominent players saying dont bring flares etc.

when the afl or more to the point port adelaide power, saw there was a problem with bad behaviour, the club launched tv ads everywhere saying to barrack but dont swear etc. one of the wakelin twins featured.

id like to see similar ads made by each club featuring prominent players saying dont bring flares etc.

That's a great idea Pete and I reckon would help. I (stupidly) read the comments on a post from the A League and was surprised at the majority saying it adds to the spectacle and is how Football should be and everyone should harden up. How is trying to see through the smoke adding to any thing?

It adds nothing bar the majority of the stadiums going 'Here are the idiots at it again'.

Simon Hill had a fair crack today which is unlike him.

fantastic rant by hill. a spokesperson and respected analyst he must be listened to.

sometimes i feel callers to talkback who support flares and say theyre great for atmosphere are trolls from other football codes. sometimes *tinfoil hat*

i also feel that these people who love flares, well maybe one of them can light one up with their family all standing in a huddle. one of them holds the flare up above their heads and let the heat rain down on them causing bodily injuries and severe burns. then they'll scream for medical attention. hospitals should be instructed to bar them from entry and gaining assistance.

That's a great idea Pete and I reckon would help. I (stupidly) read the comments on a post from the A League and was surprised at the majority saying it adds to the spectacle and is how Football should be and everyone should harden up. How is trying to see through the smoke adding to any thing?

thanks craigos :thumbsu:

Dare I say it the 2 clubs in question are the biggest clubs, with the biggest number of wannabes who don't really care for the game.

Arent the rbb mostly white teenyboppers wanting to be european hools?

I'm only going off what the Murdoch rag reports and , seeing it's been on the back page of the DT 4 days running , saw a lot of " tanned " folks........

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RBB taking absolutely no responsibility for their issues. Pathetic response and it seems inevitable that they will lose points now.

The RBB would like to thank all those who attended the information evening at Marconi last night and shared their concerns, opinions and suggestions in person.

To summarise;

Flares:

- Many opinions were heard from members in attendance on this issue. It was concluded that the RBB does not encourage anyone to participate in any prohibited activity, and those who have, have done so at their own risk. The consequences are known to all. The RBB supports the notion of personal choice as per our representation at the senate hearing late last year.

- The incident at Melbourne over the weekend led to the general consensus on the night that this issue has been exacerbated in the media, and that if it was not flare use, the Wanderers fan base would have been targeted over other issues.

- It was agreed that flare use has been prevalent in Australia before the Wanderers came along and is not an issue that is unique to us. Any punishments applied, should be applied across the board. Consistency is key.

- We will be awaiting information from the FFA regarding their "flare management plan" which will be presented to all parties.

Appeals Process:

- Members were updated on the progress of the appeal system to be presented by the FFA. This is due to be delivered by the end of this week, with the deadline for the system to be up and running being February 19th.

- The FFA have stated that what they present is NOT negotiable, and that the events of this past weekend have no bearing or consequence on the appeals system.

- There was a meeting request from the FFA a few weeks ago to discuss "fan engagement". We were promised this meeting would not be to renege on any agreement made regarding the appeals process and was entirely independent of it. We did not decline this engagement, but were happy to participate in this meeting once the appeal system was finalised.

- Concerns were raised by members if the system would not be what was agreed upon by all 10 active supporter groups on the night, and that the FFA would not allow any further discussion on this. The consensus was that the FFA must be held to this, and action must be taken if they fail to meet this commitment.

Moving on:

- As per the statements made the day following the FFA meeting, all 10 active supporter groups stated their intention to hold the FFA accountable should they fail to meet this commitment. This means that the boycotts which were temporarily suspended in good faith to allow the FFA to work through this process, would once again commence should the points not be presented as agreed.

- Members in attendance were vocal in their opinion that the FFA should be held to account and that a return to boycotts is necessary should they fail to meet this commitment. One member confirmed that he had purchased tickets to the derby on February 20th, flights to Brisbane away and flights to Wellington away, but would happily sacrifice all those to participate in sending a strong message by boycotting.

- It was agreed that a decision on any action to be taken, regarding the first game after the February 19th deadline, would be reserved until the document provided by the FFA was thoroughly considered. This would mean that this decision would apply for the away derby on February 20th. An announcement would be in conjunction with other supporter groups, and would likely be early next week.

Charity:

- There were numerous worthy causes discussed on the night, and it was agreed that we could support a number of different organisations over the coming months. Members who proposed certain charities and causes will provide details, which in turn will be announced officially via social media.

- Following the FFA's announcement of a $50,000 fine for WSW, we propose that the FFA donate this amount in full to various charities in Western Sydney. We would be happy to suggest some worthy charities to whom this money would be of greater benefit, as opposed to it being a bonus for the FFA.

See you all on Sunday at home vs Wellington.

Forever RBB, forever West Sydney.

https://www.facebook.com/RedAndBlackBloc/posts/733453463423074

Last edited:
RBB taking absolutely no responsibility for their issues. Pathetic response and it seems inevitable that they will lose points now.

https://www.facebook.com/RedAndBlackBloc/posts/733453463423074

That is such an outrageous statement. People supported them in November, the media haven't covered any negative stories (aside from some crowds in comparison to BBL) since then, and a good point I saw on twitter - the people who booed them on Saturday night as an immediate reaction ie. without any media prompting were the same friggen people who stood, applauded, and showed solidarity with the North Terrace when they walked out.

What a pathetic supporter group. Maybe that's the catalyst for the Wanderers washing their hands of them at the end of the season. They pretty much fill Pirtek every game now - they don't need the Habibs chanting for themselves and thinking they're bigger than the club and the league any more.

was in car before in back seat and 3aw was on. elliott pandering to the scared. i admit however some pro soccer callers do NOT help. one blamed security for not finding the flares. no that is NOT the problem.

one texter said "soccer fans will bring flares to the afl to give it (afl) a bad name". elliot: we'll keep an eye on that

seriously

was in car before in back seat and 3aw was on. elliott pandering to the scared. i admit however some pro soccer callers do NOT help. one blamed security for not finding the flares. no that is NOT the problem.

one texter said "soccer fans will bring flares to the afl to give it (afl) a bad name". elliot: we'll keep an eye on that

seriously
The scaremongers and the pro "hool" element are as bad as each other.

One thing though. Try lighting a flare at the nrl or afl and you get put in by the crowd.

Back