Anti-Football Media/General Public and Police Thread!

Which sport is more popular?

• Rugby

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Soccer

Votes: 13 81.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The idea of stripping points for fan violence away from the game venue is simply ridiculous.
One caller on SEN made a good point, what if instead of it happening a few hours before the game, it happened the night before, and instead of being a few kilometers from the game, it was in a different state, or a few hours befoaway in a different city. At what point and what parameters do you set for clubs having to control their fans? Clubs can't be responsible for what every fan does all over Australia at any time.

It's not a good point. The FFA would have discretion to use it when and where they see fit and presumably, they'd be able to use common sense in the application of it. And besides, when have you ever seen a group (which again, is what these rules are trying to deter) of people all in the same A-League colours, but nowhere near where the team is playing, or on their way to where the team is playing. Maybe at the occasional pub, that is designated as a <insert A-League club here> venue and that's about it, right? And if it was a problem at venues that are nowhere near where the game is being played, the obvious answer is for the venues to refuse entry to anyone wearing an A-League club's colours (or any sporting club, for that matter), which countless pubs in and around the city (well in Melbourne anyway) do already. Then, if these groups of thugs wish to engage in thuggish behaviour, they're not connected to any club, or even any sport. They're just thugs and the police can deal with them.

I understand the FFA encouraging clubs to educate their fans, I have no issues with this, but you cannot threaten competition points for actions the club is in no way responsible for, and has absolutely no way of policing or controlling.

Again, it's the mob aspect that the A-League is concerned about, not individuals. If you were with a group of your club's supporters, having some drinks before a game and one of the group said that he heard that a group of opposition supporters were at a nearby pub and 'wouldn't it be a great idea to go over there and show them who's boss?', what would your reaction be, knowing that your club had a three point suspended penalty hanging over it? The more sane people in your group would self-police. That's what the rule is trying to do, make the supporters responsible for their own behaviour and that of their mates. Not a lot to ask.

Again, it's the mob aspect that the A-League is concerned about, not individuals. If you were with a group of your club's supporters, having some drinks before a game and one of the group said that he heard that a group of opposition supporters were at a nearby pub and 'wouldn't it be a great idea to go over there and show them who's boss?', what would your reaction be, knowing that your club had a three point suspended penalty hanging over it? The more sane people in your group would self-police. That's what the rule is trying to do, make the supporters responsible for their own behaviour and that of their mates. Not a lot to ask.

sadly i think this mentality exists in the community. young men (gen Y?) getting all tough in a group and wanting to start a fight. then when the fight ensues you will see some of them run for their lives. or when they're beaten to teh ground, they put their hands up to submit.

self police becomes easier when

a) grog stops
b) age and mature

It's not a good point. The FFA would have discretion to use it when and where they see fit and presumably, they'd be able to use common sense in the application of it. And besides, when have you ever seen a group (which again, is what these rules are trying to deter) of people all in the same A-League colours, but nowhere near where the team is playing, or on their way to where the team is playing. Maybe at the occasional pub, that is designated as a <insert A-League club here> venue and that's about it, right? And if it was a problem at venues that are nowhere near where the game is being played, the obvious answer is for the venues to refuse entry to anyone wearing an A-League club's colours (or any sporting club, for that matter), which countless pubs in and around the city (well in Melbourne anyway) do already. Then, if these groups of thugs wish to engage in thuggish behaviour, they're not connected to any club, or even any sport. They're just thugs and the police can deal with them.

Hold on, but why should a professional sporting team be penalised because some dickheads are causing trouble? A professional sporting team that has no control over these people's actions, you're putting your faith in these consequences to make the people doing the wrong thing, do the right thing, but are instead punishing a whole bunch of innocent people.

These innocent people include:
The club
The clubs fans who do the right thing
People who have legally bet on the club for something
Sponsors of the club
The players/coaches/administrators who work hard for the results and also might have performance based incentives etc.

I simply don't see how punishing the club is going to help, or is fair.

Hold on, but why should a professional sporting team be penalised because some dickheads are causing trouble? A professional sporting team that has no control over these people's actions, you're putting your faith in these consequences to make the people doing the wrong thing, do the right thing, but are instead punishing a whole bunch of innocent people.

These innocent people include:
The club
The clubs fans who do the right thing
People who have legally bet on the club for something
Sponsors of the club
The players/coaches/administrators who work hard for the results and also might have performance based incentives etc.

I simply don't see how punishing the club is going to help, or is fair.

As I understand it, this is exactly how some sort of order is maintained in the European cities that these people seem to be so desperate to emulate.

When was the last time any other sport in Australia had 100 odd fans brawl in Bourke street?

At the AFl if you swear you get kicked out of the ground, at an A-league match 2,000 odd supporters chant '**** off back to ______' and no one gets kicked out.

There was no more than 20 people involved.

Four additional people have been charged over the December 28th fight in Melbourne between Wanderers and Victory supporters, and police say more people will be charged.

Arrested today was a 44-year-old man and a 19-year-old man, both from Kingsville, a 19-year-old Werribee man and a 32-year-old Norlane man, a day out from a rematch between the two clubs. All four have been charged with affray, while some face charges including conduct endangering serious injury, discharging a flare and throwing or discharging a missile.

The four were bailed to appear in Melbourne Magistrates Court on May 20, on the condition they stay away from Etihad Stadium and AAMI Park and not go to the city centre and Richmond on match days.

A 23-year-old NSW man has previously been charged with conduct endangering serious injury and discharging a missile.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/2014/01/13/14/39/four-charged-over-vic-soccer-brawl

All I can say is good. Soccer doesn't need dickheads running rampage regardless of which team's colours they wear. Ban them and the sport and everyone that follows it will be better off.

Saw this plastered all over my facebook news feed. This is pretty disgraceful. If any code war lover needed any more proof that the media is against football, this is it

Bd6mx2eCAAAU_La.png

Saw this plastered all over my facebook news feed. This is pretty disgraceful. If any code war lover needed any more proof that the media is against football, this is it

Bd6mx2eCAAAU_La.png

ANTI-FOOTBALL C.UNTS!!! That is disgusting. Thanks for posting mate! Every football fans needs to see this. In fact every anti-football individual who says that the media aren't against football need to see this. Get ****ed channel 10 you ******* idiots! It's quite funny actually! Obviously they're don't have enough money to send out their own cameras LOL! *******s!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmmm lets see the major competitor for their Big bash is the A-League. Chicken s**t move.

It's hardly a competition going by the ratings though.

It will be interesting if there is any trouble at the tennis, this is always covered and see what airplay that gets. Also whenever the news crosses to the cricket in Melbourne they talk about crowd behaviour.

I just don't think these issues are going to stop if people keep blaming the media and the beat up of it. The need to start blaming the groups and people responsible.

Of course the media give this massive coverage, they do it because people love seeing soccer hooliganism. And most people do realise the farcical state of AFL reporting now after ASADA and the 'tanking' investigation.

Also can someone please tell me why on earth soccer fans like to light flares? I really can't understand the fascination.

It's hardly a competition going by the ratings though.

It will be interesting if there is any trouble at the tennis, this is always covered and see what airplay that gets. Also whenever the news crosses to the cricket in Melbourne they talk about crowd behaviour.

I just don't think these issues are going to stop if people keep blaming the media and the beat up of it. The need to start blaming the groups and people responsible.

Of course the media give this massive coverage, they do it because people love seeing soccer hooliganism. And most people do realise the farcical state of AFL reporting now after ASADA and the 'tanking' investigation.

Also can someone please tell me why on earth soccer fans like to light flares? I really can't understand the fascination.

It is though with regard to stations and amount of money spent, also fan size.

Niether can I regarding the flares. European thing, the hard part there is getting it through the young bastards heads (it seems to be only the young ones who continue to say the ffa should allow them, its the Australian government you morons not the FFA) that while it may add atmosphere the damn things are illegal.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...x-its-many-flaws/story-fnia3m9p-1226841181271

Get ****ed Cornes you w***er!
Australia is a great country...but I swear we are the only country in the world (As well as USA) that don't embrace the World game. Why don't these AFL 'experts' piss off and just worry about their own game. I'm a huge fan of both Aussie Rules and football but if Football is criticized by AFL people I would defend it like hell and even criticize Aussie Rules back, Since Football is #1 in my eyes. It's the world game after all.

Also does anyone else cringe at that new Fox Footy commerical?? You know the one where all the experts are in Heaven and Eddie calls AFL "The greatest game in the world". It's a great sport but you have to be kidding me calling it the best. By far football is the best game in the world followed by basketball.

Last edited:
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...x-its-many-flaws/story-fnia3m9p-1226841181271

Get ****** Cornes you ******!
Australia is a great country...but I swear we are the only country in the world (As well as USA) that don't embrace the World game. Why don't these AFL 'experts' piss off and just worry about their own game. I'm a huge fan of both Aussie Rules and football but if Football is criticized by AFL people I would defend it like hell and even criticize Aussie Rules back, Since Football is #1 in my eyes. It's the world game after all.

Also does anyone else cringe at that new Fox Footy commerical?? You know the one where all the experts are in Heaven and Eddie calls AFL "The greatest game in the world". It's a great sport but you have to be kidding me calling it the best. By far football is the best game in the world followed by basketball.

It's Graham Cornes, a senile old w***er, who cares?

Prepare for a barrage of like minded articles from the usual suspects the closer we get to the World Cup.

He really does spout nonsense doesn't he. He's like South Australia's answer to Prince Phillip.

Bit of an over reaction. He actually made some good points i thought, why they would ban the head scarves is beyond me.

Also getting upset over a commercial? Your opinion is that soccer is the best sport in the world and that's fine. It's an ad of course they are going to talk up the sport!

Back