Opinion Anticipation of Dangerfield's debut for Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Nathan as a junior player was seen as more talented , and one could see that when he played..left or right foot etc... but Im not sure he ever really pushed himself to level GA did to go to the next level of fitness... I just dont think he wanted it as much as his brother

Neither did Gaz until he was stood infront of the group and told so.
Nathan had only been at the Cats for 2 years, if he had his brothers ego and want to win/competitive nature he would have been the better player, albeit completely different.

Neither did Gaz until he was stood infront of the group and told so.
Nathan had only been at the Cats for 2 years, if he had his brothers ego and want to win/competitive nature he would have been the better player, albeit completely different.

GA always wanted it more than Nathan. From the Moddawarre to the Falcons to being drafted... Nathan enjoyed more when it was just fun with mates.
Sure GA had to have a giddyup but Nathan would have needed a whip with a battery in it.

The Ablett Junior debut at the time was huge. I remember that night well and even more clearly his game against St Kilda early in that season when we absolutely flogged them and he had his first good game.

I think since then we have won 3 Premierships and have hopefully become a bit more sensible in focusing on the individual. Ablett's departure and the subsequent Premiership was a big turning point for me on the 'messiah complex' and how one individual does not make that big of a difference.

Looking forward to seeing Dangerfield but if he plays well and we get smashed that will be a pretty bad start to the year.

He's a great player and hopefully will go down as a champion of the club.
But he's one guy. Can't place undue expectations on him as you'll just be disappointed

Go Catters

He's a great player and hopefully will go down as a champion of the club.
But he's one guy. Can't place undue expectations on him as you'll just be disappointed

Go Catters

Agreed mate however for me I see it tenfold.
Danger into the middle obviously brings a genuine star of the competition. A bloke who also hits the scoreboard. That is a known commodity.
Having Danger in the middle in turn reduces the pressure on Joel due to not being tagged EVERY DAMN GAME or simply someone else to carry the elite load, therefore increasing Joels output aswell.

On top of that guys like Caddy and Guthrie, young potential stars who are really starting to hit some consistency aren't relied upon as much as previously enabling them to play their natural game and develop their own skills, with the above 2 taking the best opposition these guys are then left with the "second string" opposition where they can get on top and contribute more than they have been allowed to since they have usually been up against the best (or of course allows Guthrie to go to the backline where he's equally as good).

That then enables the club to play Duncan and Motlop where they are best suited, on the wings, where they can use their pace and outstanding use of the ball to maximum effect.

Then to counter the opposition midfield we bring in Scott Selwood, a genuine tagger/inside ball winner who at his best is as close to one C Ling as you can get (being a guy who can take a player out of the game but then in turn win bulk disposals and clearances).

That then means when we bring in guys like GHS he can put his attention to winning the ball and showing his ability at the highest level instead of spot fixing deficiencies.

On top of that again with all the above we then have the luxury of playing guys like Gregson, Lang, Cocky, Murdoch etc as 3rd string type players which should allow them to provide more impact.

Then we have a bloke called Jimmy Bartel. He will play midfield.
He can provide a buffer between the different groups and fill in where required (speaking to some guys at the club they are going to use him in the middle or pushing forward, although he will likely go back at times when required (please no, oh god please no!)).

THEN we have the steple chaser, probably the most improved (and interesting) players in the competition, with the luxury of putting him wherever we damn want.

So with these changes, changes that all of a sudden SHOULD see our midfield become a strength and provide us with first use from the middle (with Smith and Stanley as rucks, who I think are effective tap ruckman, we should more often than not), that in turn relieves the defense of being constantly under pressure out and of position, allowing guys like Henderson and Taylor to use their smarts to get third man up, it also allows Thurlow and maybe Guthrie to use their judgement and push forward when we win the ball to provide another link up target.

At the other end of the ground that means all of a sudden the oppositions defense is under more pressure and out of position enabling our quality forwards (Hawkins, Menzel (fingers crossed) and one of Clark or Vardy IMO) to hopefully win more of the ball and provide more scoreboard pressure.

It's a massive snowball effect that could easily provide a 10-15% increase across the board.
Obviously that doesn't mean we will win the next 5 flags, and certainly shouldn't be over stated to the impact, but at the same time I don't think we can undersell just how much of a difference these handful of players can make to our overall improvement.

Been a lot over the years but reckon round two nineteen sixty two would be the stand out for me, the first game at Kardinia Park of Graham "Polly" Farmer, the anticipation leading into that game was massive.

What about the build up to the Big Sphincter made his début, was going to be the Gary replacement we had been longing for

Kicked 4 on debut. I thought the heir apparent might have arrived, especially when he kicked six against f*cking Hawthorn a fortnight later. It was a flash in the pan though, unfortunately. He DID kick more goals for the Cats in 1 season (35 goals 21 behinds) than he did for West Coast in 4 (14 goals 16 behinds) however! Check it out;

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/B/Brett_Spinks.html

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kicked 4 on debut. I thought the heir apparent might have arrived, especially when he kicked six against f*cking Hawthorn a fortnight later. It was a flash in the pan though, unfortunately. He DID kick more goals for the Cats in 1 season (35 goals 21 behinds) than he did for West Coast in 4 (14 goals 16 behinds) however! Check it out;

http://afltables.com/afl/stats/players/B/Brett_Spinks.html

He looked really good early. Seems a sin of the Cats during those years though with new players coming in and looking a million bucks for a few weeks the falling off a cliff, Jason Mooney, Simon Arnott and the above are prime examples.

He looked really good early. Seems a sin of the Cats during those years though with new players coming in and looking a million bucks for a few weeks the falling off a cliff, Jason Mooney, Simon Arnott and the above are prime examples.
He looked really good early in the year when it was dry

it all went to absolute crap when he had to play in the rain I remember

Heh. I was out of the country when we got those guys from Sydney. I missed the Murphy furphy too!:p I think Jason's brother came over and played a few odd games for us as well.

Agreed mate however for me I see it tenfold.
Danger into the middle obviously brings a genuine star of the competition. A bloke who also hits the scoreboard. That is a known commodity.
Having Danger in the middle in turn reduces the pressure on Joel due to not being tagged EVERY DAMN GAME or simply someone else to carry the elite load, therefore increasing Joels output aswell.

On top of that guys like Caddy and Guthrie, young potential stars who are really starting to hit some consistency aren't relied upon as much as previously enabling them to play their natural game and develop their own skills, with the above 2 taking the best opposition these guys are then left with the "second string" opposition where they can get on top and contribute more than they have been allowed to since they have usually been up against the best (or of course allows Guthrie to go to the backline where he's equally as good).

That then enables the club to play Duncan and Motlop where they are best suited, on the wings, where they can use their pace and outstanding use of the ball to maximum effect.

Then to counter the opposition midfield we bring in Scott Selwood, a genuine tagger/inside ball winner who at his best is as close to one C Ling as you can get (being a guy who can take a player out of the game but then in turn win bulk disposals and clearances).

That then means when we bring in guys like GHS he can put his attention to winning the ball and showing his ability at the highest level instead of spot fixing deficiencies.

On top of that again with all the above we then have the luxury of playing guys like Gregson, Lang, Cocky, Murdoch etc as 3rd string type players which should allow them to provide more impact.

Then we have a bloke called Jimmy Bartel. He will play midfield.
He can provide a buffer between the different groups and fill in where required (speaking to some guys at the club they are going to use him in the middle or pushing forward, although he will likely go back at times when required (please no, oh god please no!)).

THEN we have the steple chaser, probably the most improved (and interesting) players in the competition, with the luxury of putting him wherever we damn want.

So with these changes, changes that all of a sudden SHOULD see our midfield become a strength and provide us with first use from the middle (with Smith and Stanley as rucks, who I think are effective tap ruckman, we should more often than not), that in turn relieves the defense of being constantly under pressure out and of position, allowing guys like Henderson and Taylor to use their smarts to get third man up, it also allows Thurlow and maybe Guthrie to use their judgement and push forward when we win the ball to provide another link up target.

At the other end of the ground that means all of a sudden the oppositions defense is under more pressure and out of position enabling our quality forwards (Hawkins, Menzel (fingers crossed) and one of Clark or Vardy IMO) to hopefully win more of the ball and provide more scoreboard pressure.

It's a massive snowball effect that could easily provide a 10-15% increase across the board.
Obviously that doesn't mean we will win the next 5 flags, and certainly shouldn't be over stated to the impact, but at the same time I don't think we can undersell just how much of a difference these handful of players can make to our overall improvement.
Well considered! Great response.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

enhanced-32334-1442986518-1.jpg

Just getting the thread back on topic.

It has happened five times 2003, 2005, 2006, 2010, 2015 and each time, no one has been able to defeat them on the second attempt. Not only would Geelong be going against history, you are also ignoring the fact Hawkins would not be playing on a bloke who could barely run. Podsiadly probably doesn't injure himself given it's a different game with alternate events but who knows, that shoulder of his may have just been ready to go pop regardless so again, anyone who thinks it was going to be a cake walk against Hawthorn is wrong in my opinion.
I really think we would have struggled the second time around. That team just finds a way to out do us when it matters.

And sorry Daniel MCL, someone quoted my posted yesterday (which I posted a while ago) so I am following up on that.

It's okay mate aha :thumbsu:
On topic though fuaaaaark I'm excited to see Danger Round 1 already! If Selwood's both injured then centre bounce of Danger, Caddy & Blitz. Cocky rotating too will have a big year.

It's okay mate aha :thumbsu:
On topic though fuaaaaark I'm excited to see Danger Round 1 already! If Selwood's both injured then centre bounce of Danger, Caddy & Blitz. Cocky rotating too will have a big year.
About time someone mentioned Caddy. He has become a lost sheep in all the discussions about our midfield. I think some will be surprised to see how much centre square time Cocky will be given this year as well.

As much as i am looking forward to seeing Paddy run out he is a known quantity. Im more keen on the unknowns. Looking forward to see if scooter can get back to club champion type form (how good would that be for us!), Stanley playing like he did the match before he got injured, Vardy showing how good he could be and Menzel just out there having fun.

Forgot to add seeing if Blicavs can continue his meteoric rise. The bloke is amazing.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back