Health Anxiety disorder

Remove this Banner Ad

But how would that help with "facing your fears"?

Good question. I'm no good at getting out of my comfort zone so not much help. I will say that in a way, fear is beneficial as it means that situations are rarely as bad as you expect. It's like in marketing where promising the world is a bad idea as it may be hard to reach this level meaning your customers are always disappointed. So instead you always promise below what you can deliver and then exceed your customers expectations (for instance throw in a 'free' gift when a customer buys something). So when you get worked up and scared about something you'll often find that the situation is better than you thought (i.e. it exceeds your expectations). If you think like this then fear is beneficial.

Not myself but my Wife has some pretty full on anxiety attacks. Crowds and times where she is the centre of attention are the worst triggers. I actually did alot of reading on breathing techniques and how to talk to her to get her to to regulate her breathing so she won't hyperventilate.

The ironic thing is she herself is a Psychologist!

But how would that help with "facing your fears"?

It actually does help alot.

I got through a job interview on Monday (and was successful :)) doing exactly what crazyman mentioned. The more you say to yourself "don't do something" like "don't hold tension there" or "don't be anxious" - it will make you do more of what you're telling yourself not to do. A better approach is to acknowledge and accept what is going on in your mind and body.

The other day, i didn't have xanax and had come back from a couple of weeks annual leave to a new office, all my stuff in boxes, meetings to chair, laptop etc in boxes, my boss asking me to put out fires and a senior manager at my desk wanting to meet me at that minute. That was very stressful yet manageable but to have to go to a second interview without anything to relax me was like a nightmare to me. However i managed to do it by doing what crazyman suggested in his post.

Crowds and times where she is the centre of attention are the worst triggers.

Had my first panic attack about 10 years ago walking through a shopping center, heart started racing and i felt like i was going to faint. Took me about 2 years to start being fully social after it but some triggers still remain and which are things like sitting in a restuarant or standing in queues.

Had my first panic attack about 10 years ago walking through a shopping center, heart started racing and i felt like i was going to faint. Took me about 2 years to start being fully social after it but some triggers still remain and which are things like sitting in a restuarant or standing in queues.

I don't really have a great understanding of this because it's never happened to me. What is it that sends you into a panic? Just being around people?

My older brother is on meds for his anxiety and says it helps, he seems like a pill popper to me....
I would rather get through it drug-free if possible.
I would definitely advise you to use medication for anxiety as a LAST resort. They can be really addictive (talking benzos) which then leads to a whole host of other problems. If you have tried alternatives with no success, then perhaps think about short term use of medication only.

Google 'mindfulness' if you aren't aware of it, it can work a treat for anxiety disorders.

Also meditation, although it may sound a bit 'wanky' to some, can be used as a way of regulating and becoming more aware of our breathing, which can really help when anxiety takes hold.

Here's a saying that I find helps-"you can't control everything and everyone, so why bother trying. Just flow with it. You can't change the way things happen, but you can change your reaction to them":)

Is it because you find it hard to make conversation or you just generally prefer your own company?
both really. i am still somewhat amazed that i've ended up married, it required talking to someone

with people i know, i am fine, theres no awkardness (either implied or actual), and i have no problem talking s**t with the best of them. with someone new, i usually stumble across words and appear socially *ed..

Thanks for all the posts, very helpful.
Seems to be a widespread issue, it sure can be a pain in the arse to live with!

To elaborate on my post, back in June-July of last year i was a basically a nervous wreck.
It specifically revolved around my health and death (and of loved ones)
Then i also started fearing having a panic attack and that i would never calm down and go insane or something =P
Sorta a viscous cycle you see..
I did see a GP a few times and it got to the point where i was sleep deprived
Because as soon as i would drift off i would awaken 1/2 hr to an hr later panicking.
They put me on sleeping meds but i only took them for 2 days as the side effect made me feel worse.
Helped me get my sleeping cycle back at least, for a long time i would have to take a shower/bath before bed otherwise i couldn't sleep.
The GP did mention the free psychologist appointments but i never followed it up.
She also said i would probably have anxiety for the rest of my life. :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks for all the posts, very helpful.
Seems to be a widespread issue, it sure can be a pain in the arse to live with!

To elaborate on my post, back in June-July of last year i was a basically a nervous wreck.
It specifically revolved around my health and death (and of loved ones)
Then i also started fearing having a panic attack and that i would never calm down and go insane or something =P
Sorta a viscous cycle you see..
I did see a GP a few times and it got to the point where i was sleep deprived
Because as soon as i would drift off i would awaken 1/2 hr to an hr later panicking.
They put me on sleeping meds but i only took them for 2 days as the side effect made me feel worse.
Helped me get my sleeping cycle back at least, for a long time i would have to take a shower/bath before bed otherwise i couldn't sleep.
The GP did mention the free psychologist appointments but i never followed it up.
She also said i would probably have anxiety for the rest of my life. :(
This sounds a bit like what my old man had twenty odd years ago when my folks broke up. This is what his psychologist recommended:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_therapy
It seemed to work for him fairly well. I would suggest seeing a psychologist though, they can really help with things like cognitive behaviour therapy.

This sounds a bit like what my old man had twenty odd years ago when my folks broke up. This is what his psychologist recommended:
It seemed to work for him fairly well. I would suggest seeing a psychologist though, they can really help with things like cognitive behaviour therapy.

I'll look into that, cheers
Hows your old man doing these days?
Anything is better than taking drugs, as i think I'm particularly sensitive to them.
For example weed often gave me panic attacks, but for some it has the opposite effect.
Those sleeping tablets made me feel like I'd been run over by a bus the next day!

Heard an interesting interview on RN recently discussing light therapy and it's role in helping shift workers. Red light apparently aids sleep @ night, with blue during the day.

As for Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, it's my primary method of treatment and works very well for most anxiety disorders. For those of you experincing anxiety disorders I'd recommend this website (has very good information as well as self-treatment manuals).

http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/

Heard an interesting interview on RN recently discussing light therapy and it's role in helping shift workers. Red light apparently aids sleep @ night, with blue during the day.

As for Cognitive Behaviour Therapy, it's my primary method of treatment and works very well for most anxiety disorders. For those of you experincing anxiety disorders I'd recommend this website (has very good information as well as self-treatment manuals).

http://www.cci.health.wa.gov.au/

Yep, CBT, and getting off the weed did the job for me eventually.

Had it my entire life, since I can remember (5yo and before).

At its worst it is nothing short of absolutely crippling. I've had periods when I've been suicidal and unable to leave the house.

In a pretty good spot right now but have come to accept it'll probably never be gone completely and will rear its head at different points of my life.

I have certain anxiety issues, from about the age of 4.

I get a sense of dread. I feel like I'm in a horror movie and that something is out to get me but I can't put my finger on it.

Then there are other anxieties which I will not discuss at this time.

I love my morning coffee, but i only drink one a day.
Sometimes i have to skip it though as it can make the anxiety/feelings of dread so much worse.

I don't really have a great understanding of this because it's never happened to me. What is it that sends you into a panic? Just being around people?

no idea but ive never had one when i am home. I think its a mental thing to some degree, i could do the same thing one day and get a an attack then do the same thing the next day and nothing will happen.

Definitly has set me back to some degree, in the first few years after my first attack i wasn't going to parties and so on cause i had the fear i was going to get one. Gradually i went out more and more and have learn't to deal with it a bit better and calm myself when i get one.

At a 21st Party last year i got one at the bar when i was waiting to get a drink and had to quickly walk to the toilets just to be on my own. Drank very quickly from then on until my body totally relaxed.

I'm very similar. I'm generally a loner and find that if I'm in a social situation I need an 'escape' after a couple of hours. People find it a little strange (and probably rude) when I'm discovered sitting by myself, but I find I need space to process my thoughts.
I find that it helps to think things out logically when I get a bit anxious and start think the worst eg. What are the odds of my fears actually happening and also learning to back myself in to get out of tricky situations if they do arise.

This is how I have learned to deal with my anxiety as well. Like the OP i've had anxiety for 10-15 years, but in reality there were signs of it at much earlier age. Should I feel like i'm getting anxious I try to remove myself from where ever I am and just think about things very slowly and keep telling myself that what I am feeling anxious about really isn't going to happen and I find after about 20 or so minutes my anxiety levels start to decrease and I can get on with things.

My first real panic attack happened at work and it felt like I was having a heart attack - and I was only in my mid 20's. Talking to people about it (GP, parents, shrink) have all helped to a point where I get them less and less frequently.

Can empathise with this thread. Had them myself very regularly after having a knife held to my throat at work back when I was 19. I'm 33 now (despite the rubbish I posted in the 'how old are you' thread) and have it under control for 99% of the time.

Took me a good 3-5 years to really understand what was happening and how to accept that hey, this isn't serious. Sometimes it can still rattle me if I have slept too long or drank too much but I see it for what it is, just an abnormal bodily reaction to normal circumstances.

I had a real hard time with shopping centres in my early 20's but just made the call not to up and leave if I felt panicky in order for my brain to form the connection - well hey nobody notices and you haven't died yet.. it must be ok!

I also had some CBT which assisted with coexisting with the anxiety. I don't think it ever goes away completely, it's more understanding a) what your triggers are and b) controlling it to the largest extent you can and not fighting it.

Self medication is almost always a bad idea too! (Been there done that on more than many occasions).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back