Danger Zone

Remove this Banner Ad

If compo goes and Dangerfield leaves you next year you get nothing. If compo stays and Dangerfield goes then you get one first round pick which could be anything. If we're offering 2 & 3 then it's the best deal you're going to get for him.
2 & 3 is overs unless they throw in their first and a decent player. We can then even it up with a second rounder back their way.

It's hard to compare the Judd deal, this is an unknown market with different parameters ie trading star players early to avoid FA implications - we will all be facing it in time.

From our perspective yes no doubt we could lose him for little next year, but it also gives us time to work on retaining him for good.

All of us, you and perhaps Collingwood are in a unique position this year and what is certain, is that these circumstances wont exist next year - It's now or never and an interesting game of who blinks.

It's hard to compare the Judd deal, this is an unknown market with different parameters ie trading star players early to avoid FA implications - we will all be facing it in time.

From our perspective yes no doubt we could lose him for little next year, but it also gives us time to work on retaining him for good.

All of us, you and perhaps Collingwood are in a unique position this year and what is certain, is that these circumstances wont exist next year - It's now or never and an interesting game of who blinks.

Collingwood will offer 4 and a second rounder and we will probably offer 2 and a second rounder, If Adelaide doesn't want to take it then good luck to you there is no way in hell we are going to give up 2,3 and Toumpas for Danger.

The way i see it is if you guys blink you will get unders for him

If we blink we will have to pay way too much to make it worthwhile

Melbourne can't lose whether we get Dangerfield or not, we just use two prime picks elsewhere via trade or in the draft. 2 & 3 are a goldmine under an astute coach like Roos. Adelaide don't have this luxury, they have a risk factor.

We aren't blinking mate were sitting back chomping on popcorn. Adelaide are the ones who could possibly lose out. What Melbourne think Dangerfield is worth and what they are willing to trade aren't necessarily the same thing (nor should they be) given the situation your club faces. We'll simply offer a good trade option for Adelaide to consider and that's it, it won't be this mega deal you are dreaming of.

It's also a case of how many Melbourne players do we have in the top #100 in the competition?

Jones is probably the only definite then there's a fair decline after him, while we spend the next few years building up some of our most promising younger players like Viney, Tyson and Hogan we need a really big player in the meantime. I know trading away picks is always going to comprise us but we've been throwing away picks for nothing and getting nothing in return.

I still think we are a long shot at getting Danger but the amount of positives we would gain out of it would be immense.

I posted same on Collingwood board.

The massive advantage you have right now is there has to be a trade, and you are one of very few clubs that has trading chips, Collingwood thanks to Beams may be in the market too unexpectedly.

Next year it's FA and the big money rolls in. No trade required so its going to be a busy competitive market - unlike this year.

So this is really a one off opportunity - throw the sink at it now or you won't get him next year.

For AFC to consider putting it to Danger it will have to be Sale of tne Century - 2 and 3 does not reflect that
So what do you want?

Melbourne can't lose whether we get Dangerfield or not, we just use two prime picks elsewhere via trade or in the draft. 2 & 3 are a goldmine under an astute coach like Roos. Adelaide don't have this luxury, they have a risk factor.

We aren't blinking mate were sitting back chomping on popcorn. Adelaide are the ones who could possibly lose out. What Melbourne think Dangerfield is worth and what they are willing to trade aren't necessarily the same thing (nor should they be) given the situation your club faces. We'll simply offer a good trade option for Adelaide to consider and that's it, it won't be this mega deal you are dreaming of.

Yep, if we don't get Danger the consolation is we have to 2 top ten picks to go a get some mids. We win either way.

It's also a case of how many Melbourne players do we have in the top #100 in the competition?

Jones is probably the only definite then there's a fair decline after him, while we spend the next few years building up some of our most promising younger players like Viney, Tyson and Hogan we need a really big player in the meantime. I know trading away picks is always going to comprise us but we've been throwing away picks for nothing and getting nothing in return.

I still think we are a long shot at getting Danger but the amount of positives we would gain out of it would be immense.

Unless people think he is going to carry us like Ablett then I don't think it matters how good he is if your throwing away everything to get him

Unless people think he is going to carry us like Ablett then I don't think it matters how good he is if your throwing away everything to get him
If Adelaide said pick 2 and 3 were enough we would jump at it.

Pick 2 and 3 and another player like Toumpas though is a bit far fetched

Yep, if we don't get Danger the consolation is we have to 2 top ten picks to go a get some mids. We win either way.
Correct, there seems to be a notion of "Dangerfield or bust" around the place which I don't understand. He'd be an amazing pick up - no question and I'm sure MFC have no problem offering something better than Collingwood (and a very good offer at that) but if it doesn't happan we just laugh and move on with our loaded guns. We are a fair club but we aren't mugs.

If Adelaide said pick 2 and 3 were enough we would jump at it.

No, we'd realise that they're spooked and that the player in question would probably have wind that he's now up for trade. Very hard to go back from that for Adelaide as far as him re-signing if it all falls through.

We respond with picks 3 & 22 and work from there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what do you want?
Like I said its really hard to tell because this is a new market for everyone. If he's uncontracted and homesick then 2/3 is over for sure.

To be honest I'm not really sure, just that, for the trigger to be pulled it would need to be good.

To be fair it didn't sound like Mahoney was sitting back eating popcorn - they will know this type of player won't come around too often, and next year will be too late.

To be fair it didn't sound like Mahoney was sitting back eating popcorn - they will know this type of player won't come around too often, and next year will be too late.
If he was then he's a pretty shite Operations Manager

Like I said its really hard to tell because this is a new market for everyone. If he's uncontracted and homesick then 2/3 is over for sure.

To be honest I'm not really sure, just that, for the trigger to be pulled it would need to be good.

To be fair we aren't going to cripple ourselves so that we can land 1 player, Paddy himself isn't going to drag us back up the ladder so I can't see us giving up anything more than 2 and 3.

I'd happily trade 2 and 3 for a guaranteed star in his prime. Picks are just potential and that's not really got us anywhere.
If we have plans on trading both of those picks on proven players however, it becomes a different proposition. With two top picks it's an absolute smorgasbord of players out there waiting to be tapped into.

To be fair we aren't going to cripple ourselves so that we can land 1 player, Paddy himself isn't going to drag us back up the ladder so I can't see us giving up anything more than 2 and 3.
You've got plenty of good young talent, a great coach with succession planning. What you don't have is a wow factor/franchise player who will galvanise players and supporters.

If your being honest you know what he will bring on an off the field.

Like I said its really hard to tell because this is a new market for everyone.

It's not. If a player wants to leave and his contract expires in a year, in previous years he'd have signed a new contract or requested a trade and either done that or gone to the draft. Now, there's another option which is free agency where the current club get to sit and watch and see what offers roll in. From there, they can match deals or let the player go for compensation. There's an additional option there with free agency now, but it's hardly a new market. Look at soccer if you want - Ronaldo is worth 100 million Euros if he's on a 5 year contract. If he's got a year to go, he's worth 20 million. If his contract runs down, he leaves for nothing and his club get nothing. Simple.

You've got plenty of good young talent

We do? I'd say the Bulldogs, Port, GWS and Gold Coast have plenty of good young talent. We have a few promising young players.

It's not. If a player wants to leave and his contract expires in a year, in previous years he'd have signed a new contract or requested a trade and either done that or gone to the draft. Now, there's another option which is free agency where the current club get to sit and watch and see what offers roll in. From there, they can match deals or let the player go for compensation. There's an additional option there with free agency now, but it's hardly a new market. Look at soccer if you want - Ronaldo is worth 100 million Euros if he's on a 5 year contract. If he's got a year to go, he's worth 20 million. If his contract runs down, he leaves for nothing and his club get nothing. Simple.
Nah - not so much.

The difference is that previously you could wait out a year, player still wants your club and walks with a trade.

Now he's a FA - the difference is there is a host of top clubs - say Hawthorn, to compete with even though they may not be able to match your trade chips.

Like I said, now or never

Nah - not so much.

The difference is that previously you could wait out a year, player still wants your club and walks with a trade.

Now he's a FA - the difference is there is a host of top clubs - say Hawthorn, to compete with even though they may not be able to match your trade chips.

Yeah it's now or never for you

Either get something for him now or take your mid 1st rounder next season

If we have plans on trading both of those picks on proven players however, it becomes a different proposition. With two top picks it's an absolute smorgasbord of players out there waiting to be tapped into.

In theory who is a realistic chance of being traded this year that would be worth a pick 2 or 3 or both?

Danger is probably just a small chance but he is a superstar at a young age and would greatly improve our side now and for the next several years.

Even with pick 2 and 3 in the draft it's bloody hard for us to find gems and I've yet to see a superstar of the comp in red and blue.

Nah - not so much.

You mean for him to come to us? I still don't understand why he would want to come here. If he is going to leave, we can probably offer the best value for him, so I'm sure your mob would prefer he came here. If he leaves next year, he'll pick Geelong, Hawthorn or Collingwood etc so he can play finals and get paid a pretty penny, and you'll get a first round pick adjacent to your finishing position. Why would he not just wait a year and go where he wants? This all seems like a big media prick tease to me.

Personally I couldn't care less and would prefer we picked up two top kids at the draft. Paying extortionate money and picks for mercenaries is a s**t way to build a club. If #3 and #22 doesn't get it done I'd move on. Even if it was accepted, Dangerfield would probably say no. End of discussions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back